Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Typical. Was going to have a go at codex for not having much on this one anywhere and then I see we are already on page 68. Wow.

Any updates from Codexers that have this - would respect an opinion on its current state.

Only interested in it as a single player. A bit dubious as it is also tagged as MMO and have fear it will be 'turned off' at one point.

Constant online connection required?

Does it feel like an Ultima game or generic fantasy world? I thought EA killed Ultima?

Aildrik

Savant
I pledged just enough to get into the Alpha. I can say there is definitely a strong focus on housing and crafting which is something that I felt really set Ultima Online apart from most other MMOs. That said, the camera view / graphics engine makes it look like another clone of what is out there right now. I really would have liked to see Garriott take a gamble with doing this game from the isometic top down view that we had in Ultima Online. Maybe give people a greater control over the camera or something. I get the limitations with that view; it is hard to do justice to huge grand structures and whatnot and it is nice to see the sky, but at the same time that view has its benefits and it has always been a hallmark of the Ultima series.

Finally! Some Codexian admitting to being an alpha tester! (even though..Joined Wednesday :negative: , :decline:)

What are your feelings on "Real Money" housing (SotA) vs Economy Money housing (UO) (ie chop wood, makes axes, sell to vendor then buy house/boat whatever once you had money generated in game)? (and the other various pay to play/decorate/crafting features).

From what I have observed from alpha youtube videos...it seems the focus of their development NOW is on Real Money Transactions (RMT) and not much else.

Zep--

Sorry... super late reply!

Haven't made up my mind yet about real money vs ingame money. I will say I remember, very fondly, trudging through dungeons in UO to save up enough for a 2 story house for myself and some friends. It was a huge feeling of accomplishment and I think having goals like that give more meaning and drive to adventuring. If you have people shortcutting that with RL cash I can't help but think it cheapens the experience. There is too much 'pay to play' shit going on in "free" games these days and it is downright scary how fast you can throw $$ at such games.

I would say, if the RL cash purchases amount to nothing much more than grandiose RP furnishings - and the only way to get magical items and armor is through crafting and adventuring, I might be OK with that. That would allow the game to make some extra money through crap like people buying big buildings or even cities for their guilds, etc. If it goes much beyond that, I would consider it a problem. I am curious to see how real estate pans out. I remember in UO it got so bad (especially after people abused item duping and cash became almost worthless) that it was a challenge to traverse the wilderness as their was a house built on every patch of available ground :(

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I pledged just enough to get into the Alpha. I can say there is definitely a strong focus on housing and crafting which is something that I felt really set Ultima Online apart from most other MMOs. That said, the camera view / graphics engine makes it look like another clone of what is out there right now. I really would have liked to see Garriott take a gamble with doing this game from the isometic top down view that we had in Ultima Online. Maybe give people a greater control over the camera or something. I get the limitations with that view; it is hard to do justice to huge grand structures and whatnot and it is nice to see the sky, but at the same time that view has its benefits and it has always been a hallmark of the Ultima series.

Finally! Some Codexian admitting to being an alpha tester! (even though..Joined Wednesday :negative: , :decline:)

What are your feelings on "Real Money" housing (SotA) vs Economy Money housing (UO) (ie chop wood, makes axes, sell to vendor then buy house/boat whatever once you had money generated in game)? (and the other various pay to play/decorate/crafting features).

From what I have observed from alpha youtube videos...it seems the focus of their development NOW is on Real Money Transactions (RMT) and not much else.

Zep--

Sorry... super late reply!

Haven't made up my mind yet about real money vs ingame money. I will say I remember, very fondly, trudging through dungeons in UO to save up enough for a 2 story house for myself and some friends. It was a huge feeling of accomplishment and I think having goals like that give more meaning and drive to adventuring. If you have people shortcutting that with RL cash I can't help but think it cheapens the experience. There is too much 'pay to play' shit going on in "free" games these days and it is downright scary how fast you can throw $$ at such games.

I would say, if the RL cash purchases amount to nothing much more than grandiose RP furnishings - and the only way to get magical items and armor is through crafting and adventuring, I might be OK with that. That would allow the game to make some extra money through crap like people buying big buildings or even cities for their guilds, etc. If it goes much beyond that, I would consider it a problem. I am curious to see how real estate pans out. I remember in UO it got so bad (especially after people abused item duping and cash became almost worthless) that it was a challenge to traverse the wilderness as their was a house built on every patch of available ground :(

There was one UO dungeon (cant remember which one now) just a short way in, there was a locked box that was very heavy. Myself and a guild mate carried it out and brought it to town. When whoever had the box on them afterwards and talked to a vendor, had an INSANE amount of money to that vendor.

The stamina penalty on heavy objects required the 2 man team-up to get it into town (walk, drop , pass to next). We never did get the damn thing to open after many tries after a world reset.

Zep--

Aildrik

Savant
I remember at one point, a few friends and I hid outside a known PK house and waited a couple hours, chatting in ICQ. Sure enough a red guy shows up; we gank him right at his doorstep and snag his key :) This was followed by like 5 minutes of frantic looting of their ill-gotten gains. Everything not nailed down was pretty much stuffed into boxes, sacks, etc. Think The Grinch cleaning out a Who house. Finally his buddies showed up but I remember being so encumbered I almost couldn't take a single step to walk through my own gate spell :) I've never experienced that kind of adrenaline rush in pretty much any game after that. UO was the Wild West of MMOs. Housing and crafting added a dimension to the game I haven't seen since. I am wondering if Garriott can recapture some of that magic this new title.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
No way. Too many people complain about how houses were fucking everywhere and how expensive they got after shards ran out of real estate space. Not to mention that permanent red-flagging, losing all/most of your carried equipment and other fun things are way too hardcore for modern gamers.

Norfleet

No way. Too many people complain about how houses were fucking everywhere and how expensive they got after shards ran out of real estate space. Not to mention that permanent red-flagging, losing all/most of your carried equipment and other fun things are way too hardcore for modern gamers.
Well, in real life, usually when there are houses everywhere, a fire happens and most of them burn down, since that many buildings in one place is a fire hazard. You'd think that in a game where people fling fireballs like candy that a fire would almost certainly occur.

Gerrard

Arcane
I don't leave my house without a bullet and stab-proof vest and weapons either. Never know when some fag and his friends might want to kill you out of boredom. Fucking carebears man.

Xenich

Cipher
Well, in real life, usually when there are houses everywhere, a fire happens and most of them burn down, since that many buildings in one place is a fire hazard. You'd think that in a game where people fling fireballs like candy that a fire would almost certainly occur.

That brings around a great idea!!! Take the game "Banished" (a strategy sim type game) and then combine it with these crafting/building MMOs and you just might get me on board with playing them. That way, I could stand outside of someones mega house they bought for RMT which was rolled by a tornado and laugh my ass off. These idiots always go on about "realism", well... how about dangerous and realistic environments? "That is a neat 200 dollar ship you bought there, too bad it was sunk by that hurricane. Better luck next time!"

Norfleet

That way, I could stand outside of someones mega house they bought for RMT which was rolled by a tornado and laugh my ass off.
It would serve them right for not understanding that, just like in real life, you want to situate your house JUST within range of a nearby trailer park, which will serve as a magnet for the tornado and thus attract it away from your house, but not so close that the flung trailers would hit you. There's an art to these things.

That, or you just build underground like a sensible person, and leave that weather shit to surface dwellers.

Tehdagah

Arcane
No way. Too many people complain about how houses were fucking everywhere and how expensive they got after shards ran out of real estate space.
Because a "walk naked in a forest" simulator is so much better...

Really, why are houses bad?

Houses were one of the best things of UO.

Not to mention that permanent red-flagging, losing all/most of your carried equipment and other fun things are way too hardcore for modern gamers.
Losing all your carried equipment is boring.

Good thing that item insurance happened.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Because a "walk naked in a forest" simulator is so much better...
Really, why are houses bad? Houses were one of the best things of UO.
I didn't attack housing, just repeating what was complained about on OSI boards back when I was an UO player - and it was fairly silly how some places were so crowded that you only had room for a single character standing between houses. The problem was that they had big most-empty zones meant for houses and then only few locations elsewhere. It would have been better to sprinkle housing lots all over the map and to break the big lots up slightly with trees, to avoid the suburbia madness that happened.

Losing all your carried equipment is boring. Good thing that item insurance happened.
Ah sure. Remove the only actual danger in dying, that made playing an adrenalin-fueled excitement. You're the cancer that killed UO. Bet you moved to Trammel the second it became available.

Last edited:

Norfleet

I didn't attack housing, just repeating what was complained about on OSI boards back when I was an UO player - and it was fairly silly how some places were so crowded that you only had room for a single character standing between houses. The problem was that they had big most-empty zones meant for houses and then only few locations elsewhere. It would have been better to sprinkle housing lots all over the map and to break the big lots up slightly with trees, to avoid the suburbia madness that happened.
No, the problem was that this blatant violation of fire safety code was allowed to go completely unchallenged. If the giant jam-packed housing blocks caught fire and burned to the ground as characters struggled to extinguish the rapidly spreading blaze because they could barely access the place to deliver buckets of water to, causing their entire village, them included, to all burn to the ground, this would never have been a problem, and we'd be speaking of the Great Britannian Fire to this day.

Last edited:

Norfleet

Yes, can you imagine if such carelessness had the natural consequences, and the result was an enormous fire which spread rapidly under the crowded conditions, with the impaired traffic and rapid spread making the blaze impossible to extinguish, so everything burned to the ground and all those who didn't flee got roasted alive?

There's a REASON why fire safety codes exist.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Is that it? Houses were a problem because some places had too much houses?

:hmmm:

And I'm pretty sure that the minimum space required between houses was more than 1 block.

Ah sure. Remove the only actual danger in dying, that made playing an adrenalin-fueled excitement.
You still lose money (600 gold per piece, IIRC) with insurance and all your non-insured items drop. It's still punishing, but without being extreme.

You're the cancer that killed UO. Bet you moved to Trammel the second it became available.
I didn't played in the official shard. But I played in a variety of shards and the old-school ones were the worse. Just a bunch of naked people doing PvP.

Also, I don't like Trammel, it makes Felluca almost pointless.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I didn't played in the official shard
You should've said that to begin with so I could've just ignored everything you say about UO. Playing on a private shard with few hundred people is an entirely different experience than on official Europa when there were twenty thousand people online. I can tell you, it was a lot more than just naked people doing PvP.

And 600 gold per piece of insured item? That's nothing bro, what the fuck. When the smallest house on Europa went for at least 100,000 gold (and prices were only going up because real estate was gone by then) and people sold rare items for 200+k gold and up. I could make more than that on a single dungeon run.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Lord British Weighs In on Companions, Solo Play, and the Development Process

There is a lengthy thread on the forums entitled “Companions” where some have expressed their concerns about how, when, or if companions (among other things) will be implemented in SotA, Episode 1. A recent post in that thread by Richard Garriott helped to answer some of their questions:

[A Public Forum post by Richard "Lord British" Garriott]

Fear not! You are all well aware, that only a year ago, we started letting you all play when we had only a generic avatar standing in a small room, with a chicken. We have come a LONG way since. But there is an order to the development operations that may not be obvious. We add systems and data based on how they interrelate or build on each other. For example, the best way for us to test combat was for we the developers to fight each other, thus you too could fight each other, well before creatures were much fun or balanced, and are only now gaining some real intelligence to fight back. This was not meant to imply more focus on PVP vs PVE, it just helped the development process.

For many months now, we now have had our AI programmer (Erik) dedicated to the framework to making creatures and NPCs much smarter! I got a run down from him on the “Finite State Machine” and “NPC Interest” system. You may have seen the beginnings of this in the NPC lamplighter schedules, though they were a bit off. It looks to be very powerful now, and at a state where we can begin to request the simpler high-level things that will begin to make all of this “NPC life” come to, well, life.

With this tool in hand, we are now finally to the point where NPCs are beginning to get some smarts and we can start placing and tuning NPCs to do a variety of things. You will see more and more things like guards and villagers turning on/off lights and closing doors, and being “aware” and interacting with their environment. Soon you will see scheduled activities like waking in the morning and going to bed at night. NPCs who farm or fish or do other activities to bring the world alive and help support the story which is the core of the solo experience but also available in multiplayer.

“Companions” are the most difficult part. Exactly “how smart” or how “deep” a companion will be for episode 1 remains to be seen. Clearly we will have non-conversational “pet” type companions. We even expect to have household “staff” that may be more conversational, but less like a “travel companion”. How far we get in blending the two, has not even been reviewed in some time, as we have had other bigger fires to address.

I beg for your patience and understanding as we work one issue at a time. I myself started playing in fully solo player mode only a few weeks back. Me and Chris Hirokawa who works in our NYC office, are specifically combing through the main story as it is finally just getting enough “meat” to really test in game. In the next few releases, I think the solo player, virtual world sim folks will see worthy progress. I know many of you are trying NOT to get too exposed to the maps and story of the final game to keep it fresh for release… but I hope some of you join me and Chris on our quest to offer the team important feedback and polish advice as it comes online.

- Lord British

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=46091

Baron Dupek

Arcane
There space travels are expensive, u know? €35 is not that much considering the fame and hope and other baits.

I swear it looks worse than Dung Lords...

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
ss_887cf0c36ffbfca3d6d7e154855fa6ebbddadf6d.1920x1080.jpg

shroud.png

Stokowski

Arcane
How dare the art design aesthetic reveal sensible-looking clothing, armor, and weapons!!!!

:thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom