Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Aenra

Have actually backed this..worse, have backed it, and monthly updating my pledge for it without actually having played it al all (will be stopping at 500$, that's the lowest you can get tax+rent free)
Don't want to alpha test, don't want to form an impression now that will only be partly dispelled by further patches. I just want to hope like an younger me idiot

Much as i hate to admit it however, i give me slim chances of seeing me justified (though i am still excited about the 'prospect' of it)
sandbox + real money estate upwards of 11,000 dollars just..you know already, deep down; you do not even have to be aware of Portalarium's previous practices to reach said conclusion :)

But..Ultima..you cannot kill hope. Ultima. Pre Eight mind you. From geography to placement to interactivity to choices to thinking to presentation to RPing to map drawing to, everything. You know?
Fucking hope. Even Nietzsche gave in to it eventually so who am i right, i mean that's a good excuse in my book

Eggs is eggs

Learned
So for those of you who are playing this or following it heavily, how is it turning out? The initial idea seemed cool but with a lot of the fundraising it seems like they are giving out a million different things to people who pay a lot of money and are still offering stretch goals and backer rewards and stuff like that. Is it going to turn out that the people who paid a lot early will get all the benefits and power in the game? Also, what about general gameplay, the offline/online hybrid they're trying out, story, etc.? I'm a longtime Ultima fan and interested in this but also skeptical.

Aenra

So for those of you who are playing this or following it heavily, how is it turning out? The initial idea seemed cool but with a lot of the fundraising it seems like they are giving out a million different things to people who pay a lot of money and are still offering stretch goals and backer rewards and stuff like that. Is it going to turn out that the people who paid a lot early will get all the benefits and power in the game? Also, what about general gameplay, the offline/online hybrid they're trying out, story, etc.? I'm a longtime Ultima fan and interested in this but also skeptical.

since no one has answered you yet..
maybe you could have a thorough look into SotA's forum? Whatever my worries/issues with them, they are being pretty transparent about current state of affairs. And while yes, the obvious blindly devoted fans do tend to mix their opinions with those of everyone else, there's still plenty of info to be gleaned :)

at least that's what i do

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well, I played some shroud of the avatar and the words love/courage/truth does pop up here and there. If this both games lore are tied, they may fit the virtues in.

Shroud of the avatar is also acknowledge old ultimas as part of the ancient past before the cataclism. A theme very common in ultima games itself.

Every Time I have tried to play this, you have to play on a specific day, and I always miss the exact date you can play on. Is this finally open for people to try out anytime yet?

Aenra

Every Time I have tried to play this, you have to play on a specific day, and I always miss the exact date you can play on. Is this finally open for people to try out anytime yet?

Yes it is online 24/7 now, you can go nuts :)
If you like, you can add me in the forums (Aenra), could always catch up to you later ingame

add a newfag? lol
Aenra

Divinity: Original Sin
Yes its open. It's pretty bare bones yet, but you can do some (fetch) quests... I get a feeling of morrowind sometimes.

The cities are my main problem: its a clusterfuck of other players homes.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
Yes its open. It's pretty bare bones yet, but you can do some (fetch) quests... I get a feeling of morrowind sometimes.

The cities are my main problem: its a clusterfuck of other players homes.

That's another concern of mine. They are selling so much stuff, ESPECIALLY housing to all the players who buy in early that is it going to be even worth playing if you a) don't pay a lot of money and b) don't buy in early.

If you go to their website they are selling so much stuff. A silver pendant for $250, lots of in-game clothing and other crap for $10-20, books, mounts, weapons, etc. and it really rubs me the wrong way.

Aenra

it really rubs me the wrong way

and well it should :)
up to this moment however, i still do not see an issue:

- fluff sold exclusively, is just that. Fluff. Farmville collector types can happily part with their money, the game gets some extra funds. Already, they say they got enough for a five year plan (one episode per year, five acknowledged already). So all good there.
- non fluff items can all be acquired ingame. Now of course that is sugar coating, as usually it entails some form of actual impossibility, or an insane grind most people got no patience for. My understanding however is that for someone like me (oldie, don't mind a reasonable grind if there is something beyond it, plenty of time online, etc) said amount of effort/time is more than reasonable when compared to other MMOs. Again, as things stand right now.
- non-fluff indestructible items, which does scream P2W, appear to fall into two categories.
.One being, yes an obvious advantage, but two days later even my mother will be able to craft better ones so who cares.
.Two, while some are both indestructible -and- of a great quality, they are items that can be easily repaired/replaced for everyone else (that is not a stranger to work) and as such, again personally, i got no issue there either. The game is not structured around the 'gogogo' mentality, so any disparity between time needed for you and me to get hold of the same item falls out the window. Unless unlike me, you are of the instant gratification crowd. If so, wrong game anyway.

- what does worry me is the house frenzy. However, up to now it appears to be more of an ego-stroking matter than an actual advantage (storage capacity can be acquired and upgraded separately). As i typed above however, yes, it is increasingly worrying knowing that you get to be right next to someone having spent 11,000+ bucks on the game :)

This is why (again in my post above), i say i hope. For me, it's a gamble, and one i am inclined to believe i will lose. Either way, whatever you read or are told now, just do not take it into account. They still got no clue over so many things property-related, it is just impossible to know how it will turn out.
Only good thing i could say to you and Darth Slaughter above is that come launch, there will be a form of property sorting, geography-wise. So whatever "clusterfucks" of property buildings you see now, they will not be a part of the final cities. They are still working on that too, plus, every city will have its slots so it will even out.
The current problem is merely each and every backer trying to find a space in just the first few cities released.

Again for emphasis however: It's a gamble, and one i am inclined to believe i will lose.

Divinity: Original Sin
The problem with the houses is the so many different styles... You now have a city with dozens of castles. And you have a "downtown" that is ok and unique. But the houses spoils it, at least for now.

Aenra

that's both a yay and a nay however;

i'd rather have variety than uniformity. The latter disallows too many of the little things adding up to more than their whole. Unless of course you only look at the practical side? Why, when they offer you more?
And expanding on that as they do, if for example i planned to roll a caster and stay one (which i am, lol), i am quite happy knowing my personal little crapshack (see:poor fuck) will look like this:
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085

instead of say, a Dutchman's wet dream come true:
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085

so the good and the bad :)
and in any case, they already know..when all the cities are not only planned but actually implemented, you can expect to see some form of 'regulating' in regards to placements and hierarchies. I doubt some cheapskate like yours trully will ever find himself right next to a manor ^^

Norfleet

The problem with the houses is the so many different styles... You now have a city with dozens of castles. And you have a "downtown" that is ok and unique. But the houses spoils it, at least for now.
Yeah, well, that happens in real life, too. Some people like variety in their local architecture, others like uniformity. If you don't like what you see, well, you can always hope there's a good system for arson. Besides, what good would a housing system be if you couldn't go to someone and tell them, "Say, that's a nice house you have there. It'd be a shame if anything were to happen to it..."

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
12519.png

This may take a while....:M

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I like how the starting default character is black. So I made a sexy black man <3

Unfortunately this is using Unity(?) and since I have a 32 bit OS, it crashes all the time. Awesome.

Aenra

Jaesun
It is, yeah, Unity 5. For an MMORPG! Tragic i know, just takes a bit of an effort so as to approach it from a humorous perspective......
Memory-wise, you are not escaping an upgrade, you do know that right? It's not just the games either. Way too many applications and upgrades you are bound to need for some program or other, sooner or later. It keeps going like that, you will soon be unable to even browse the web.
(if you're on XP..well, you are going to hate them i think [win10,lol] but that offer for an upgrade on -any- windows user could be your thing. If money is not an option, get a win7 64bit Pro OEM. Too many things in Win8 one cannot disable/delete)

In the meantime, have you tried the 3gb switch? And although i am sure you are are aware of it, you are not running it windowed are you?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I just need to finally get off my ass and install Win 7 64 bit on my gaming computer (because I have to do this for PoE as well). I just need to get 8 gigs of ram (that's the max my Motherboard will do sadly).

Aenra

sure hope you're faster/more knowledgeable than me, first time i installed 7 from XP..took me 3,4 days (and i wasn't working) to sort them out..it is a bit of a cultural shock, first time in :)

widgets!!! Cause how did we manage to make do all this time without widgetz!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I just need to finally get off my ass and install Win 7 64 bit on my gaming computer (because I have to do this for PoE as well). I just need to get 8 gigs of ram (that's the max my Motherboard will do sadly).
You don't *need* more memory. In 32bit windows applications are actually limited to 2gigs (thus the crashing). So just upgrading to 64 will stop that, but you might get long load times and chugging if you're running near max memory.

Aenra

i think he meant it's his motherboard's limitation

reading comprehension 101

Xenich

Cipher
I like how the starting default character is black. So I made a sexy black man <3

Unfortunately this is using Unity(?) and since I have a 32 bit OS, it crashes all the time. Awesome.

Why are you using a 32 bit OS? I don't think they even make 32 bit hardware anymore these days and haven't been for many years now.

Xenich

Cipher
sure hope you're faster/more knowledgeable than me, first time i installed 7 from XP..took me 3,4 days (and i wasn't working) to sort them out..it is a bit of a cultural shock, first time in :)

widgets!!! Cause how did we manage to make do all this time without widgetz!

3-4 days to do a fresh install of Win 7? Really?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom