Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com

http://www.lordbritishpresents.com/

Ultima Codex reports: http://ultimacodex.com/2013/03/lord-british-presents-a-countdown/

The same thing was posted to the Ultimate RPG Facebook page, so it’s fair to say that this is definitely related to the Ultima spiritual successor that Richard Garriott has been talking about for a while now. Too, we now know what the fuss yesterday was all about.

Also: he’s using the Avatar font. How great is that? Obviously, he wants Ultima fans to pay particular attention, and so we shall…in about a week, when the countdown timer on the Lord British Presents website runs out.

I’m just going to put my guess out there right now: there’ll be a Kickstarter campaign, next Friday. You read it here first (unless you read it on the UDIC Facebook group already, and/or are Sergorn Dragon, whom I made the same guess to in a chat window about ten minutes before publishing this).

There’s a signup form on the website, which I guess subscribes you to some sort of news list. Hit that up if you like…and if not, check back in a bit under a week. Something big is coming!

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
in b4 f2p flash FB game.

Honestly. My expectations are so low I sink in my chair thinking about it.
Isn't he supposed to be up in space, anyway?

EDIT: Holy shit, that countdown is ONE WEEK long. Hoho. That means inXile has a week to put up their KS (without losing pledges to this shit).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If it's a proper game, I'll be all happy and looking forward to it cause LB is some real batshit insane eccentric guy and I like that.

If it's an MMO or shitty social game, fuck it.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Is there anyone who liked the series and saw what Lord British was oh-so-busy doing over the last decade that still believes it won't be utter shit? Surely the fanbase isn't that desperate to give him money.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
He'll just use 90% of the money to go on another intergalactic voyage, and the rest to make a "monetized" Faecesbook game.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I don't know a KS just sounds wrong coming for Garriott. This guy can easily fund an Ultima-like game all by himself and in fact he should fund it just to make up to the fans for the shit that happened after he sold Origin to EA.

Tytus

Arcane
I don't know a KS just sounds wrong coming for Garriott. This guy can easily fund an Ultima-like game all by himself and in fact he should fund it just to make up to the fans for the shit that happened after he sold Origin to EA.

Why pay for it, when people can pay for him? That's just stupid.

Unwanted

Sacred_Path

Unwanted
in before crash & burn etc.

If there's a KS I will pledge 20000$ to attend Lord British's Halloween party

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I don't give a fuck what's the smart thing for him to do. It's what I would like him to do to redeem himself in my eyes and in the eyes of Ultima fans. He's a goddamn millionaire, funding an ultima-like game wouldn't cost him nothing. Unless we're talking about some popamole "ultimate rpg", in which case I don't care either way.

Tytus

Arcane
I don't give a fuck what's the smart thing for him to do. It's what I would like him to do to redeem himself in my eyes and in the eyes of Ultima fans. He's a goddamn millionaire, funding an ultima-like game wouldn't cost him nothing. Unless we're talking about some popamole "ultimate rpg", in which case I don't care either way.

He is not Darth Vader you know. He won't throw EA down the reactor core shaft. Paying for a game from his own money is apparently out of the question too.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Paying for a game from his own money is apparently out of the question too.
He and his brother actually did it when Origin was losing money in 1991. Dipped into his personal/family fortune to keep the company afloat. And that was BEFORE he made all the millions from selling to EA.

That he has to go and ask the fans for money after having proven over 15 years that he's lost his touch, when he could easily fund it all himself, won't exactly endear him to me.

He's welcome to "not be stupid" and to abuse fans' nostalgia to steal their money, just like we are free to call him out when he does it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's said that he spent most of his money on his space adventure, yes.

Tytus

Arcane

I remember reading somewhere that Russians charge 20 mln dollars per person to lift your ass up to space. I wonder how much money he had before going to the ISS.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm sad to say I feel nothing when it comes to Garriott. The Ultimas, with a roman numeral, still brings a smile to my face but anything "Ultima" related in the last 10 or so years (unless it's name is Lazarus or U6P) has just been utter garbage... looking directly at Ultimate Collector, Ultima Forever, and any MMO crap of LB. I just have zero faith that he can create anything close to a "real Ultima."

He has been part of the :decline: for far too long that I just feel.... nothing with this announcement.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer

He was pretty much broke after the space trip, is the common rumor. But afterwards he did successfully sue NCSoft for $28 million, so uh...I think he has enough money.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom