Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Sick of all the hatred from gamers" open letter from Anonymous game dev. via Kotaku

Ninjerk

Arcane
Sounds like a COD developer - they routinely get 0 ratings on Metacritic and death threats for changing a weapon timing by 1 millisecond or grenade explosion range by 1 millimeter.

COD audience is the worst audience.
MOBAs are worse by a longshot. And that's being nice about it.

retardation

Learned
This letter is great PR. I don't believe for one second that this is a real dev. An average AAA dev hates his projects, too.
This is some next-gen "stir slowly and let it come together" marketing shit. Mass Effect 4 unveiling incoming. Other possible candidates: Mirror's Edge 2, the new Deus Ex, or just creating a proper atmosphere around CoD Ghosts Onslaught.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The guy's not wrong, gamers are often immature self-centred brats and assholes who expect every game to exist to personally satisfy their exact requirements. I'm often one of them, and no, that attitude (especially personal insults) is rarely justifiable.

But that said, if you pick a creative career that puts you and/or your work in the public's eye, you are going to have to deal with a lot of jerks and their insults. That's kind of just how it is and I think it should be pretty obvious going in to it.

A user named cat

In 5-10 years, Vault Dweller will be sending one of these letters to us. Anonymously, of course. Then Infintron will post it and receive massive brofist, giggling and clapping at his monitor.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Is there any other domain where there is as high a ratio of douchebags to normal humans than "gamers"? I think it's more a symptom of a whiny, entitled generation of horrid children, raised by parents who don't want to discipline them anymore, and transmit them horrible values, along with society. In the old Usenet or other older Internet environments you sure didn't have such an out of whack ratio of signal to noise, and while viciousness always existed, it wasn't always this gratuitous and this much of a relentless bombardment.

It's because they took religion out of schools.

:troll:

Ashery

Prophet
He's going about it all wrong. The correct response to:

"I hope the idiot people who made this just kill themselves after they kill their family."

Is:

"Only if you'll marry my daughter."

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I can only imagine the lifestyle of someone that uses "but he made an effort to release this shitty game" as a argument. He probably gets depressed when his mom doesn't praise him for making his own bed.

It doesn't even matter if the game is shitty or not. It's this "I make games which is a favor to YOU, don't you understand???" attitude that's disturbing.

laclongquan

Arcane
I dont know about 1st world, but Viet programmers dont have to take 80hours a week if they dont want to. They can always find another job, pay not as much but certainly require not long hour as that.

Not that they dont do 80 hours. I knew of a few from two, three companies, one in game development (a dena outsourcing co). But they dont have to.

80 hours in game development? Either you are a complete obsessive/compulsive about your job, or you are a moron who get screwed by management.

Sadly, both type has thin skin.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Most gamers are cunts. Most devs doesn't deserve the harsh critism they receive, when it should be the publishers receiving the blame.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Well shit.
I remember we had 60-hour weeks sometimes (or even more), but that was due to some idiots that (probably) had no idea what 'deadline' means, and the clients still could bitch about things, though we informed every one who called that we have works going on. Yeah, a lot of people were acting like 'Fuck this, I'm outta here' during those times, but after the dust settled, everyone was happy, everyone received his monies, everyone walked home to have a drink and enjoy.
Can't see anyone bitching after that, though.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Most gamers are cunts. Most devs doesn't deserve the harsh critism they receive, when it should be the publishers receiving the blame.
Yes, but it baffles me that grown up people are getting butthurt, because a noname somebody writes some this about him ON THE FUCKING INTERNET!

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Like somebody else said in this thread, you have no way to assess risk over the Internetz. Some of those death threats could be made by actual maniacs. I think it's legit to become tired of that shit.

Telengard

Arcane
Sure there's a way to assess the risk. In fact, high-ranking politicians often have staff around to sort through the nigh-daily death threats, in order to weed out the everyday pissers from actual, serious threats.

Not much has changed about that, either, in all the last century. A poorly worded email ain't no different than a poorly worded letter. Well, sometimes the letters are in crayon. So, there's that difference.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Sure there's a way to assess the risk. In fact, high-ranking politicians often have staff around to sort through the nigh-daily death threats, in order to weed out the everyday pissers from actual, serious threats.

Not much has changed about that, either, in all the last century. A poorly worded email ain't no different than a poorly worded letter. Well, sometimes the letters are in crayon. So, there's that difference.
But you should only worry if the letters are in shit because then you know the guy is serious.

Dexter

Arcane
Like somebody else said in this thread, you have no way to assess risk over the Internetz. Some of those death threats could be made by actual maniacs. I think it's legit to become tired of that shit.
Since I'm not aware of any developers getting murdered by disgruntled customers and I can't remember a single media report about anything like that from the last dozen or so years I would wager to say that the actual physical risk (not the risk of possibly getting their feelings hurt) is trending against zero or is at least astronomically high. That high that even being hit by lightning or stricken by a meteorite doesn't compare, since there are actually well-known cases of such things happening.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Come on now, you can't seriously think that those are serious threats. We are talking about teenagers talking shit on the net.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
The guy's not wrong, gamers people are often immature self-centred brats and assholes who expect every game everything to exist to personally satisfy their exact requirements. I'm often one of them, and no, that attitude (especially personal insults) is rarely justifiable.

But that said, if you pick a creative career that puts you and/or your work in the public's eye, you are going to have to deal with a lot of jerks and their insults. That's kind of just how it is and I think it should be pretty obvious going in to it.

Fixed for you, in my job I talk with hundreds of people per week and many (not all obviously) are exactly like that.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Yes, but it baffles me that grown up people are getting butthurt, because a noname somebody writes some this about him ON THE FUCKING INTERNET!
It also baffles me that so many edgy cunts are pretending to be butthurt in this thread because noname somebody writes about his butthurt on another forum.
:martini:

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Come on now, you can't seriously think that those are serious threats. We are talking about teenagers talking shit on the net.

You may think that the first few times. But when it keeps happening you can't shrug it off. Repetition gives it more weight.

Also, when you have a family to care about, paranoia may set in.

toroid

Arcane
"Anonymously" submitted to kotahkoo?

Uh huh. It's just trollbait and/or clickbait. Move along.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom