Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
VoViNuT.jpg

Screenshots:
4VodZES.jpg

eQdQYbD.jpg

4op00Di.jpg

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:OPxSFvZv51wJ:www.jeuxvideopc.com/jeux/sid-meier-s-civilization-beyond-earth/beyond-earth-civilization-firaxis-actu-695618.html &cd=3&hl=fr&ct=clnk&gl=fr&client=firefox-a

Preview of the game in French. Translation:

-You'll go beyond earth as the title implies, making it more like Alpha Centauri.
- Out this Autumn
- You start on an alien world
- There are three types of worlds: Lush, Airy and Fungal
- You'll still be building cities like in CIv V but to expand to other planets you'll use outposts.
- You can be the first to explore a new planet and you may find some neutral creatures/races on those worlds. You can either destroy them or leave them be.
- Relics are still in.
- You can win the game by returning to earth. To do that you'll need to put a satellite in orbit around the earth and you can either return to earth to win or you can bring the refugees of earth to your home world.
- You can use diplomacy with other players right from the start.
- Fog of War is still present
- There are now orbital units that you can command like satellites.

Guess it was meant to be unveiled as a surprise at PAX East today, but someone dun goof'd.

Eyeball

Arcane
Coming soon: Civ5, the space reskin!

Are they at least going to take out that shitniggerfaggotcocksuckassgobblinghomoqueer IDIOCY that prevented you from putting more than one unit in a square? More than anything else, that wrecked Civ5.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I really do doubt this will be good. And no CiV was not destroyed by 1 unit per tile. It was destroyed by everything else

Disgruntled

Savant
I got excited for a second till I saw the bullet points.
Doesnt seem like the ambitious or brand new project I was hoping for.

The 3 worlds is a blatant sign that they are building a small base game with 100 dlc chunks ready to dripfeed over x years.
I dont want a Civ 5 standalone expansion, especially if i have to wait for the gold edition till its feature complete.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
As someone who actually likes Civ5(with the expansions), this looks like it could be good. Hope the features listed are just some of the new stuff. It's rare that any space themed game comes out anymore, so yeah, fuck all the haters.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Sounds like they're basically ripping off Warlock 2's Exiled mode, but with planets instead of planes.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.civilization.com/

http://www.gametrailers.com/news-post/73123/sid-meiers-civilization-goes-sci-fi-with-beyond-earth

Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth will propel the development of human civilization beyond the traditional timeline of a Civilization game, by exploring humanity’s future on an alien world. For the first time, players will lead factions divided by contrasting cultures and evolve their new civilizations to reflect their chosen destiny. Players will experience an array of new gameplay possibilities, including nonlinear technological progression, deeper customization of chosen factions, and an entire alien world that will change the very identity of each faction based on their choices.

Seed the Adventure: Players will establish a cultural identity, select a leader and sponsor an expedition by assembling the spacecraft, cargo and colonists through a series of choices that directly impact starting conditions when arriving on the new alien planet.

Alien World: Exploring the benefits and dangers of a new planet filled with dangerous terrain, mystical resources and hostile lifeforms unlike those of Earth, players will build outposts, unearth ancient alien relics, tame new forms of life, develop flourishing cities and establish trade routes to create prosperity for their people.

New Technology Web: Reflecting forward progress in an uncertain future, technology advancement will occur through a series of nonlinear choices that affect the development of mankind. The tech web is organized around three broad themes, each with a distinct victory condition.

New Quest System: Quests are infused with fiction about the planet, and will help guide players through a series of side missions that will aid in the collection of resources, upgrading units, and advancing through the game.

New Orbital Layer: Players will build and deploy advanced military, economic and scientific satellites that provide strategic offensive, defensive and support capabilities from orbit.

“Having celebrated its 23rd anniversary last year, Civilization has cemented its reputation as one of the greatest and longest running franchises in video game history,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth builds upon that success by pushing the series in new directions with players exploring an unknown future on an alien planet.”

“The Civ team was excited about the opportunity to continue the story of Civilization into the future, because it allows the team to break free of historical context,” said Sid Meier, director of creative development at Firaxis Games. “We’ve always let our fans create the history of mankind, and Civilization: Beyond Earth will now let them create the future.”

In addition to its use of DirectX 11, Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth will be among the first wave of products optimized for the latest in AMD graphics technologies, including: the new Mantle graphics API, for enhanced graphics performance; AMD CrossFire™, for UltraHD resolutions and extreme image quality; and AMD Eyefinity, which allows for a panoramic gameplay experience on up to six different HD displays off of a single graphics card.

Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth is not yet rated by the ESRB, and will be available for Windows PC, Mac and Linux in North America this fall for $49.99. Take a look at some of the debut screen shots below. If you're interested in finding out more, you can head over to its official Civilization website right here.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
As someone who actually likes Civ5(with the expansions), this looks like it could be good. Hope the features listed are just some of the new stuff. It's rare that any space themed game comes out anymore, so yeah, fuck all the haters.

I also like Civ 5. That doesn't mean I automatically assume any new game will be good.

Also, this isn't space based.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Are social policies actually going to be policies or just upgrades?

Is religion going to be included and will it actually be an interesting mechanic or once again just a series of upgrades?

Will espionage go back to using units on the map and some resource(s) and let you do cool and interesting things again?

Can we have custom factions/civs?

BBMorti

Arcane
I happened to like Civ5 so I worry a bit less, but I doubt this will be a game for the people who can't live without the stack of doom mechanic from civ4 etc. If you hated Civ5, it seemingly looks like you will hate this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom