Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Monaldinio

Is there a list of differences between Conflict on Chiron and Planetfall in English? I've downloaded the mod but don't see a list of changes anywhere. Can I only see it in-game?

It's bad but nothing is worse than Civ5 vanilla
you have no idea...
civ5 was essential. barebone.
be is essentially shit, and this expansion makes it worse. one of the new features above all: you can't choose your peace treaty, the computer picks it for you and you can't change it.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Holy crap! They removed diplomacy. It's not that I ever bothered with it in shit like civV or BE but nw they just axed it. Only options you have now is to change a slider of war-hostile-neutral-cooperation-allied. No pacts, no military access, nothing. Everything was axed and replaced with "agreements" - all of them is like +10% to military unit production, +5% culture. OMG I knew they had no idea how strategy games are ticking but this is so retarded it almost hurts. AI spam you with this agreements in a traditional CivV style.
Oh, and by the way, to initiate ANY diplomatic agreement you now must spend Diplomatic Capital, which is accumulated by...having diplomatic agreements.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Well the new fans seem to love the new diplomacy so its gonna be standard from now on.
Now they only need to implement automated building and combat and they will make the perfect western pachinko game.
Added with pink hair feminist messages for added inclusiveness.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Holy crap! They removed diplomacy. It's not that I ever bothered with it in shit like civV or BE but nw they just axed it. Only options you have now is to change a slider of war-hostile-neutral-cooperation-allied. No pacts, no military access, nothing. Everything was axed and replaced with "agreements" - all of them is like +10% to military unit production, +5% culture. OMG I knew they had no idea how strategy games are ticking but this is so retarded it almost hurts. AI spam you with this agreements in a traditional CivV style.
Oh, and by the way, to initiate ANY diplomatic agreement you now must spend Diplomatic Capital, which is accumulated by...having diplomatic agreements.

A reputable magazine begs to differ:

IGN said:
The overhauled diplomacy system, for starters, is the best it’s ever been in a Civ game of any stripe,

Monaldinio

Literate
Monaldinio

Is there a list of differences between Conflict on Chiron and Planetfall in English? I've downloaded the mod but don't see a list of changes anywhere. Can I only see it in-game?

What is new...?!?!?

- more than 20 new units ...

- more than 15 new building ...

- 3 new terrain improvements ...

- more than 3 new Secret Projects

- 2 New Relegions and Civics

- Unique Civics/Religion

- more than 5 new Unique Promotions

- 5 New Factions

- 2 New Victory Conditions

- 4 New Citysets

- Sell Buildings,

- new raze City system

- Evakuate GPs

- Capture GPs

- 2 New Features like Sunseasons and Orbital Layer -> Orbitals Stations/Cities...Ships...and so on.

... re -arranged tech tree with additional 20 new technologies ...

- SDK and Python Bug fixing

- And many mor...?!

Last edited:

Monaldinio

Literate
Pretty much.

Also, from some stuff I've read in the SMAC community, SMAC-in-SMAX is coming soonish thanks to Yitzi's newer patches allowing one to disable a lot of in-engine SMAX stuff. That's right folks, soon we will be able to play SMAC with SMAX's modding resources added by Yitzi. Then it will be only a matter of adding Kyrub's patch for the penultimate* Alpha Centauri experience.

*the ultimate Alpha Centauri experience is when somebody finally figures out when to surpass the faction limit.

Hey Monaldinho! You alright? Its me, Slaughter from Civilization Fanatics.

Think you can upload it somewhere else than Game/File Front? It has a inane downloads policy that excludes a lot of countries from downloading - Brazil and China, just to remember two. I use Mega and Mediafire for FODD mod.

I could uploaded it on my dropbox?!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/winpdzpqt9lrcix/Conflict on Chiron v3.3 BETA.rar?dl=0

The official version will released soon, including some balacing things...
BUT THIS IS A VERSION WITH GERMAN SOUNDS, VOICES AND WONDERMOVIES

A "English version" will released some days later.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane

The slider is basically the same thing, cooperation means military access and alliance guess what is alliance...The game is what it should have been at release, its not alpha centaury but its a good enough 4X now . Its comparable to stardock games with better graphics , soulless but pretty. Agreements range from completely useless to overpowered , like enhancing every trades routes, pretty neat when you build a pacifist trade empire.
Its a lot better than vanilla game, lot more units, hybrid units ,faction traits , but well 30 euros more for something that should have been included from the beginning, can only recommend it at russian prices.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
In theory, you can. In practice, there's not enough space for maneuver. And I am not talking about bottlenecks. I know about swapping, and I know it doesn't help, only increase overall mess.
Don't bother arguing with the brainwashed Civ5-podpeople.

As for cvv's question for better games than Civ5. easy: Civ4BTS - CK/EU/Vicky/Hoi continuum - a whole bunch of space 4x games.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Probably be easier to make a list of 4X games worse than Civ 5.

Let's see...

LotR 3
MoO 3
Civ BE
Elemental
Arguably HoMM 6 and 7
Probably a bunch of games that have never seen the light of day

Anything I miss?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Forced myself and tried several parties. Tried hard to have fun but failed. The game simply too boring and dumbed down to be at least somehow appealing. They still have ony TWO options for promotions - +10% to combat str. or instant healing. Combat is bland, techs mostly boring aтв all victory modes are still an utter bullshit. So no, no amount of patches will fix it.
it horrifies me that there are people, who pay money for this crap. Especially given that Firaxis set price so high on BE and addons.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So Steam Spy's venn diagram maker is pretty coo. Did one with Civ3,4,5, and BE http://steamspy.com/audience/3900/8930/65980/3910

Interesting that Civ3-5 have huge overlap especially when compared with another strategy series like Heroes of Might and Magic:

Also interesting is absolutely 0 overlap between Civ 3 and Beyond Earth. I find that hard to believe since I think there was a Civ bundle and surely some of those bundle buyers bought BE*. Still, very slight overlap between 4 and BE too. Talk about leaving your core audience behind. To be fair though, this could be the change of setting from historical to scifi.

To anyone looking for hope, there is a slim chance BE has to be huge disappointment compared to Civ5. Yeah, it was clearly a rush job, but still dropping from 8 million sales to 1 million has to sting. Counting physical copies, Civ4 has probably outsold BE.

*Checked after I wrote this. The diagrams are apparently not accurate with more than 3 games. Removing Civ 4 does show 125k overlap between Civ3 and BE (http://steamspy.com/audience/8930/65980/3910).

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Interesting that Civ3-5 have huge overlap especially when compared with another strategy series like Heroes of Might and Magic:

Worth noting that this could at least partially be caused by many people owning GOG or physical copies of many 4X games. Actually Civ is one of the few series I do have on Steam - and even then it's because getting Civ III and IV on sale for a couple of bucks was less effort than trying to remember where I put my CDs

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Your links to steamspy don't work
Sorry about that. I even tested the urls, but apparently my cache saved me.

q2x2Ez3.png

H81MtvP.png

swBqA1u.png

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
CivV popularity came from Steam and digital distribution. CivIV had this atrocious GaySpy, which resulted in near-nonfunctional multiplayer, plus it had to be bought on discs when it came up.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
They also gave you a copy of Civ V for free for preordering XCOM: Enemy Unknown. That's how I got it. Don't know how many copies that accounts for, though.

Now, Beyond Earth. Does it have any redeeming qualities? I already know it's not Alpha Centauri, but I admit to liking Civ V, though it is not without its faults.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
It's a reskin of V so if you like it then I guess...?

BE is V with less civs, less units and so on. Some new stuff like "quests" and affinities tacked on. The sf side of things is a complete joke, the gameplay is 100% V so on normal speed you spend dozens of turns building stuff that gives you +2 food and harnessing super mysterious alien resources that give you +1 production.

There's a demo so try it. I'm not sure if the recent expansion improved things a lot and the demo doesn't include it obviously.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Are the "quests" as interesting as they are in the base game? I'm referring to those pesky city states begging me to build a road or a trade route or whatever for some negligible influence.

Thanks for the tip about the demo. And regarding the expansion, it sure sounds like a ton of fun!:

It's a reskin of V so if you like it then I guess...?
absolutely not. it manages to be much worse in every way possible.

Are the "quests" as interesting as they are in the base game? I'm referring to those pesky city states begging me to build a road or a trade route or whatever for some negligible influence.
quests in be are "you built this? pick one of those two boni"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom