Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Silent Hunter 3, but not submarine?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is there any good ship-simulators out there? Been looking all over but can't seem to find anything. Dream game would be something similar to Silent Hunter 3 but you play as a ship instead of a u-boat.

Thinking maybe there is a forgotten mod or something?

Luka-boy

Arcane
There are SH mods that let you play as surface ships.

I never played any of them though, so I don't know how well they're implemented in the main campaign.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wasn't there something like Destroyer Command?

Dangerous Waters allows Oliver Hazard Perry control.

Most though are 90's era games: Task Force 1942, the Great Naval Battles series and Fighting Steel(good games with but more wargame like), USS Ticonderoga.

Reasonably modern game though hard as fuck and glitchy is PT Boats Knights of the Sea game. Like most Russian games it's with a lot of potential but abandoned half finished.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, been looking at PT-boats, but 35% approval on Steam. That is brutal.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Eh it's not that bad. Mostly the fags that rate it down are those that expected World of Warships controls or got it at some bundle.
Torrent it and see for yourself.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I see. I mean, they look interesting, but it's the rating that is holding me back. Guess I have to give them a try.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Personally from those I put down I prefer Fighting Steel as I enjoyed the pure surface combat there,though as I said, it's more wargame style.

Makes me rage that the death of the simulation genre coincided with computers finally being able to do it justice in fidelity and not just gameplay outside a few products every 5 years or so. We never got the surface sims we deserved even as things like Ship Simulator are being made.

Destroyer Command as Beowulf put, was meant to be a companion to Silent Hunter 2 and other products later, but SSI died soon after and the potential went unrealised. :( At release it rated even worse than PT Boats as was just as broken.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

There is actually a very good, almost unknown game named Deadliest Catch: Alaskan Storm

It was apparently developed in cooperation with Discovery and the Sig Hansen family. It is a true sim of commercial fishery and as such something absolutely rare. It even has roleplaying elements and characters from the game, as well as nice video tutorials in which Sig Hansen explains how to run a boat.

Now what did go wrong. I dont know exactly what happened. The game is pretty good and even had good graphics. But the developer rushed it to consoles and PC at the same time and it was at first properly promoted but then everything suddenly stopped. It seems then the Hansens wanted nothing to do with it. MAybe some people lost money in it and wanted to move over. The situation is so weird that you now may not even find a legal copy anymore, but the ones that are sold have crazy prices. I can say that it is fun until you find the many flaws (like a non rewarding campaign mode and consolish scripted weather, though the game supports weather change just fine). And with some love post released, it could still be played today.

Burning Bridges

From what I know the other games are not really that good. Shipping simulator is kind of a wreck and no one recommends that. And then there are Naval Action which is apparently a PvP fest and some sailing sims (Virtual Skipper and Vortual Sailor), both which are kind of old.

P.S. The Ironclads game looks a lot better but is 100% indie. Maybe worth a look http://store.steampowered.com/app/549400/

Burning Bridges

Sorry I completely forgot this :roll:

Atlantic Fleet by Killerfish game, it is actually a very good game http://store.steampowered.com/app/420440

The campaign isnt that great, but it is fun for at least one playthrough as both sides. They could have made more from this, but it was begun as a mobile game and just ported to PC.

They have a new Red Storm Rising game in the making (Cold Waters), which they say will be a full PC title, so chances are you will hear from the one way or another soon. I think there is a good chance that it will be a new gaming milestone.

jiduthie

Educated
Please forgive a thought slightly off topic, but a game I've dreamed about years is a simulation that puts you in the role of Jack Aubrey. The fact that no game of which I'm aware has compelling Age of Sail combat is a major disappointment. Such a game which also incorporated RPG elements and crew management seems to be low hanging fruit in terms of creating a new genre. Pirates! held potential, but its successors have tended to focus on importing its framework into other circumstances rather than making the same concept more deep and intellectually satisfying.

Burning Bridges

Have you checked the Akella games? http://store.steampowered.com/app/223330/

My problem with all those games is that they are unrealisitic and cheesy. Unfortunately the PotC crowd is crazy for this. But what I want is either a simulation like SH3 or a strategy/roleplaying game like Pirates, but with more realism. The remake of Pirates was already unbearable for me because they increased the cheesiness and not decreased it. Pirates Gold had been much more mature in style, and the C64 version very much defined me as a gamer.

Though not a Pirate game, Sid Meiers Civilzation 4 Colonization is actually quite good, and captures the mood much better.

P.S. Naval Action seems to turn into horrible shit though. Another retard developer who stumbled upon something good and turns it into shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom