Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyblivion - Oblivion in Skyrim

Nael

Arcane
It's like stuffing a turd in another turd.

Turd Kiev.

Also I wonder how much they will charge for Horse Armor DLC?

:philosoraptor:

Santander02

Arcane
Ugh to think there are some out there that loved Oblivion so much they are willing to remake it in an engine with an even worse interface... and its not even that Skyrim and Baby's first ES are THAT far apart graphically FFS, being made for the same console generation and all. They obviously have some talent, but terrible taste. Tamiriel Rebuilt wished it had people this dedicated...

Santander02

Arcane
I thought for a split second about posting some oblivion with mods vs vanilla skyrim comparison shots but then slapped myself as that would mean I would be spending time and effort to defend that turd of a game. Not. Worth it.

Anyway going by that trailer it looks like these guys are just directly ripping off the lolblibion's models and textures and putting them in TES V, so you get lower res textures clashing with the NPCs models of Skyrim alongside the horrible interface and stripped down mechanics. Utterly pointless.

Luzur

Good Sir
Ugh to think there are some out there that loved Oblivion so much they are willing to remake it in an engine with an even worse interface... and its not even that Skyrim and Baby's first ES are THAT far apart graphically FFS, being made for the same console generation and all. They obviously have some talent, but terrible taste. Tamiriel Rebuilt wished it had people this dedicated...

Did they die btw? havent seen anything new from them for like years now.

Deleted member 7219

I'd be interested to know if they are still going too. I know they managed to finish the entire province of Morrowind... so TES III can accurately be called Morrowind now, rather than just Vvardenfell + Solstheim.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fuck this shit. Even Morrowind still looks good aesthetic wise. Why don't modders try to improve the actual world even if they don't do squat for the mechanics?I'd like to see both Oblivion and Skyrim lose 90% of the dungeons and the few left to be remade as unique as possible. Makes no sense to have 100 draugh crypts with the same 10 scaled draugh deathlords in them. Makes no fucking sense. Which is a pity as Skyrim overland looks ok in the standard fantasy crazy way of having cities on impossible rock formations etc. Just take a look at a filled map though..every 50 metres there's a crypt or cave or bandit camp. I keep harping back to Gothic but here Gothic 3(the maligned one) is actually educational. It has a similar large world to Skyrim/Oblivion and also many cities(unlike the smaller scale,more wild earlier ones)so is closer in concept to them yet apart from Nordmarr which has a plethora of crypts(still tiny amounts compared to Skyrim),the actual world is not populated with shit every few metres making exploration to find some hidden chest protected by some tough beast interesting. Finding a crypt is an event and you know before you go in that it will be a tough fight rather than the by the numbers cut pasta dungeon made with the same prefab pieces, containing the same mooks and having a piece of scaled loot at the end that you can find in any crypt you go into in Oblivion and Skyrim.

That's probably the reason why I dislike them more than even for their shitty mechanics(which actually aren't that hard to 'fix' to at least a serviceable level by getting rid of scaled crap and making progression more traditional): the trivialisation of exploration which should be a staple of such games.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Been playing Oblivion again recently and finding the magic system much more interesting this time.

You have the summons, invisibility and chameleon. You have shield and fire, frost and shock. You have things like drain skills or attributes.

Other spells like frenzy and calm. Paralyze, reflect damage, resist magic and reflect spell.

The magic system had a lot of potential and variety.

Shame then I met a simple bandit wearing full Ebony Armour asking me for 50 GP.

If these guys get it going will definitely give it a try.

Santander02

Arcane

I'd be interested to know if they are still going too. I know they managed to finish the entire province of Morrowind... so TES III can accurately be called Morrowind now, rather than just Vvardenfell + Solstheim.

TR is still kicking, latest update is from october 2016 :salute:

Luzur

Good Sir

Thats nice, but sadly it seems to be an "unending project", its been like what, 8 years?

DraQ

Arcane
Fuck this shit. Even Morrowind still looks good aesthetic wise. Why don't modders try to improve the actual world even if they don't do squat for the mechanics?I'd like to see both Oblivion and Skyrim lose 90% of the dungeons and the few left to be remade as unique as possible.
That would be pretty fucking stupid given that it would be dropping content that's already there, usually has at least some token unique flavour going for it and may be referenced by other mods.

The smart thing would be addressing the weaknesses - namely linearity and lack of unique stuff. Plop down a unique boss encounter instead of generic boss, at least the first time around, add connections and routes both to individual dungeons and, when it can be made to make sense, between them, and you suddenly have something interesting. The thing is that with such approach you can use existing content as your scaffolding - yet another reason not to cut anything.

Santander02

Arcane

Thats nice, but sadly it seems to be an "unending project", its been like what, 8 years?

If you go to the Official site they have a "Progress" and "Pipeline" pages that explains exactly what's been done, how much is left to be done, and how it is being done. Looking at it I can safely say they have come a long, long way and while there is still much more ways go, many projects would have already been long dead by this point , so I have faith. Even if does die what they've released up until now is enough content to keep any Morrowind fan sick of modern Bethesda satisfied for a few dozens of hours.

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/content/progress-report
http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/content/pipeline

pippin

Morrowind is saved by its art direction, Skyrim too. Oblivion is a really ugly game though, there's no other way around it.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fuck this shit. Even Morrowind still looks good aesthetic wise. Why don't modders try to improve the actual world even if they don't do squat for the mechanics?I'd like to see both Oblivion and Skyrim lose 90% of the dungeons and the few left to be remade as unique as possible.
That would be pretty fucking stupid given that it would be dropping content that's already there, usually has at least some token unique flavour going for it and may be referenced by other mods.

The smart thing would be addressing the weaknesses - namely linearity and lack of unique stuff. Plop down a unique boss encounter instead of generic boss, at least the first time around, add connections and routes both to individual dungeons and, when it can be made to make sense, between them, and you suddenly have something interesting. The thing is that with such approach you can use existing content as your scaffolding - yet another reason not to cut anything.

Disagree as you can put that 'unique' skill book anywhere. Getting rid of crypts every few metres wouldn't be a problem since there's nothing there anyway of note in most of them. Having them there encourages MMO quest design and dilutes focus. Fuck other mods too since most are shit and do nothing for exploration which is the point I was making in the first place so it's not like I'd care if they referenced some other mod since I was talking about a hypothetical 'remake'. If modders can waste time porting Oblivion,may as well just make a decent TC from scratch. Since most existing content is prefab filler there's no reason to use it. Ok, maybe you'd keep the crypts/caves etc. that are in the quests and spice them up plus a few out of the way ones for exploration, but no way is keeping all of it a good idea since it leads to the same tedium of having to check area after area to find unique interesting content. Maybe 90% is too much to lose but minimum of half would have to go off the bat.Even you couldn't defend so much garbage. :)

Kill the quest compass,location markers,make areas discoverable by regular exploration plus being able to get hints from NPC's or to buy maps like in Gothic. Gothic did this the best what with being able to find/buy various maps,many incomplete,but made exploring a great orienteering adventure in its own right. Tripping over landmarks every 50 metres actually kills this and is why I'm so against the filler and would ruin such a map following experience. Shit, Skyrim already has 'treasure maps' you can find which are a perfect example of a wasted opportunity to take it all further.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"The nirn root is supposed to be huge like in the first game"

Alrighty, then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom