Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyforge MMORPG, co-developed by Obsidian

Duraframe300

Arcane
What nope? I don't see any evidence that this deal is not money-driven. Every game studio on this planet has MMO gamers employed, so what kind of argument is that?

Oh, I fully agree it's money driven. I was refering to this part of your post. (bolded)

This deal is purely money-driven. I am sure nobody at Obsidian has a special interest in joining this MMO as junior partner. But companies at this size (100 + employees) simply can't choose projects on the basis of creative criterias only.

Which brings me to this

That is not what Metro means by "downsizing". He envisions an inXile-sized indie Obsidian.

This is correct. The plus side is they get to employ more people, the minus side is you have to take on a bunch of projects you otherwise wouldn't be happy developing. In the end, is it worth it? I suppose to the people on the margins who would be fired, it is... but one day you might end up like Gas Powered Games.

You're deluding yourself. They ARE happy developing (most) of them. One of the reasons they won't downsize is that they still can develop AAA licensed titles. Several of Avellone's *what if* projects are licensed titles. People over there love working on South Park, as multiple times stated. Anthony loves Alpha Protocol.

They want to do both in the end. AAA and hard core mid-sized games. For better or worse.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Which brings me to this

Ok, maybe my statement was a little bit too sketchy. I wanted to say that I doubt that anybody of the Obsidian management/leads has a special interest in this project creative-wise. Especially given the fact that they will be the junior partner.
Of course, they have MMO gamers in their halls but that shouldn't affect business decisions so much.
I think they just need (paid) work for all their employees - which isn't so easy to get in those times. As far as I know, Obsidian is very loyal with their employees. In contrast to many other studios, they don't fire their working forces between projects.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Which brings me to this

Ok, maybe my statement was a little bit too sketchy. I wanted to say that I doubt that anybody of the Obsidian management/leads has a special interest in this project creative-wise.

Hmmm, I don't think Avellone and Sawyer would be interested. Not so sure (at all) about Feargus though. Or the other owners for that matter, but I don't know enough about them so this could be either way.

Also, Tim Cain still plays MMO's, but I think he had his share with Wildstar.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Fill me in guys.

All I know is that Obsidian has gotten into bed with a near bankrupt publisher for an RPG based on a cartoon show, now they're dealing with Russians?

Is this a cry for help?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fill me in guys.

All I know is that Obsidian has gotten into bed with a near bankrupt publisher for an RPG based on a cartoon show, now they're dealing with Russians?

Is this a cry for help?

You're out of date. THQ is already bankrupt and gone. The publisher of South Park is Ubisoft now.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014

As far as I know, the South Park creators themselves and not THQ initiated that project

Duraframe300

Arcane
They want to focus more on PC and Tablet titles again. (Well Tablets is new, but you get the drift)

Duraframe300

Arcane

As far as I know, the South Park creators themselves and not THQ initiated that project

So it was Comedy Centrals (or whoevers) fault?

No, literary the creators called them. Matt Stone and Trey Parker. They made a prototype for them and then they made the contract.

Obsidian actually has lots of South Park fans so they sprung on it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Fill me in guys.

600full-rade-serbedzija.jpg

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
You're out of date. THQ is already bankrupt and gone. The publisher of South Park is Ubisoft now.

Their finances were iffy for a long while weren't they?

Nah, Ubisoft is in good shape. One of the best managed AAA devs IMO. Montreal tax breaks are a big help.

No, what I was trying to say was that Obsidian was developing a game for a publisher (THQ) that couldn't afford to get the game out on to the market. Ubisoft bought SOT recently in the THQ firesale.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Their finances were iffy for a long while weren't they?

Nah, Ubisoft is in good shape. One of the best managed AAA devs IMO. Montreal tax breaks are a big help.

No, what I was trying to say was that Obsidian was developing a game for a publisher (THQ) that couldn't afford to get the game out on to the market. Ubisoft bought SOT recently in the THQ firesale.

Oh. Yes, that's true. But anyway, what Duraframe said. THQ was just a middleman.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
No engine development means..?
That Onyx is abandoned or that they don't plan to update it/create another engine of their own/etc?

Ehh, no? Just that Allods already has an engine suitable for their needs so Obsidian doesn't have to provide one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom