Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls Skyrim: A hidden gem?

kintake

Savant
I played mods from loverslab and now my libido wants me to impregnate the world, thanks a lot Skyrim!

the_shadow

Arcane
So I just got around to play this game and it's completely mind-blowing. It's versatility and depth is immense because everything develops organically, from your stats and skill builds to the world itself. The story is unique and flows like water. You can turn the game into a sandbox and role-play as pretty much anything. Mods are abundant and the graphics are still good enough for 2018 standards. And it has dragon bosses on top of everything else.

Frankly, I believe Codex is just too old, senile and declining in general to hate a game as good as Skyrim. It's a game that even surpassed Oblivion, the former Magnum Opus of Bethesda. Bethesda stopped developed single-player RPGs when they saw how good Skyrim was because they knew there was no reason to every make another action/RPG after that success. It's all downhill from here.

Skyrim is an enjoyable game with some forgivable flaws. And it doesn't have 7+ hours of filler cutscenes, like some other AAA RPGs.

Donk

Novice
So I just got around to play this game and it's completely mind-blowing. It's versatility and depth is immense because everything develops organically, from your stats and skill builds to the world itself. The story is unique and flows like water. You can turn the game into a sandbox and role-play as pretty much anything. Mods are abundant and the graphics are still good enough for 2018 standards. And it has dragon bosses on top of everything else.

Frankly, I believe Codex is just too old, senile and declining in general to hate a game as good as Skyrim. It's a game that even surpassed Oblivion, the former Magnum Opus of Bethesda. Bethesda stopped developed single-player RPGs when they saw how good Skyrim was because they knew there was no reason to every make another action/RPG after that success. It's all downhill from here.
Hail traveler. Fancy meeting you here ;)

Falksi

Arcane
The PS4 is so utterly wank that I've decided to switch back to the 360 when having a lazy console sesh.

Anyway, I thought I'd dig out Skyrim to see how it had held up and Christ alive, I didn't think it could be SO bad.

On my first playthrough I found it "meh", but a serviceable distraction of a shallow game. Ridiculously inferior to Morrowind & other games, but Stealth Archer held enough gameplay fun to keep me ticking for a while.

Second playthrough I tried as a mage, and it instantly became clear just how weak a game it was. Soon ragged in after.

But on recent return, wow. I mean, I don't think I've ever played a game which felt so empty & lifeless. It feels so much like a game as opposed to an adventure or other world. I could only play it for around 20 min before casting it aside. Utterly terrible. KOA:R is FAR better, and that aint great.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Why be so negative ?
Remember we used to kids and play shitty games and we would have loved to have Skyrim back then.

It's so big.

DraQ

Arcane
The PS4 is so utterly wank that I've decided to switch back to the 360 when having a lazy console sesh.

Anyway, I thought I'd dig out Skyrim to see how it had held up and Christ alive, I didn't think it could be SO bad.

On my first playthrough I found it "meh", but a serviceable distraction of a shallow game. Ridiculously inferior to Morrowind & other games, but Stealth Archer held enough gameplay fun to keep me ticking for a while.

Second playthrough I tried as a mage, and it instantly became clear just how weak a game it was. Soon ragged in after.

But on recent return, wow. I mean, I don't think I've ever played a game which felt so empty & lifeless. It feels so much like a game as opposed to an adventure or other world. I could only play it for around 20 min before casting it aside. Utterly terrible. KOA:R is FAR better, and that aint great.
You're doing it wrong.
  1. First you install Skyrim, unofficial patches, SKSE, SkyUI and so on.
  2. Then you install Requiem for gameplay, 3DNPCs for quests and NPCs, maybe something like Questorium for high-level quests and some extra locations.*
  3. Sprinkle to your taste with some companion mods like Inigo, new spells (Apocalypse) and DCO (if you can find it), some decent artifact mods (FrankFamily's stuff seems quite good) + any required Requiem compatibility patches.*
  4. Actually have fuckton of fun playing, or alternatively...
  5. Come back to the Codex whining about not being able to tank archers with your "fearsome barrbarrrrrRrian" ass, bare-chested, clad exclusively in fur skirt, then get extra butthurt when told to git gud.
If you're RK47 you can append or substitute loverslab mods. Contact your nearest Slaanesh cultist representative for further details.

Last edited:

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Skyrim is better than Planescape Torment and Pathfinder Kingmaker because I could understand the words and a lack of numbers didn't cause me to panic, become confused, and then finally become frightened.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom