Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Borelli

Arcane
What kills Dwemer ruins in Skyrim for me is the linearity, i mean who builds cities in a linear way?

Delterius

Arcane
Remember that Falmer are never(?) found in the actual ruins, but in the caves below or around them. They live in dirty caves. The Dwemer ruins however, are filled with still-functional animunculi that keep the place tidy. You can see Dwarven Spiders working on rocks and rubble in several areas. Think of them as advanced robotic vacuum cleaners, still working the floors 3750 years after their creators' demise.
Yet the place is falling apart but it's almost perfectly clean("Ajax! Every working Spider's need, but don't dare fix those pipes"). My point isn't on whether the Dwarven Spiders can clean the ruins, it's just that in Morrowind Dwarven ruins looked like abandoned ruins. And remember that I also said that they are way too crowded with defences, automatons etc( again compared to Morrowind). It's more a point of inconsistency and ruining of atmosphere( IMO) compared to Morrowind, rather than whether there can be a logical explanation. This is more of a personal nit pick of mine though. It's not like I would care about it, if I wasn't royally bored while traversing the ruins and annoyed that the game offers little else than combat.
To be fair. The whole of Morrowind looked like an abandoned ruin.

Last edited:

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yet the place is falling apart but it's almost perfectly clean("Ajax! Every working Spider's need, but don't dare fix those pipes"). My point isn't on whether the Dwarven Spiders can clean the ruins, it's just that in Morrowind Dwarven ruins looked like abandoned ruins. And remember that I also said that they are way too crowded with defences, automatons etc( again compared to Morrowind). It's more a point of inconsistency and ruining of atmosphere( IMO) compared to Morrowind, rather than whether there can be a logical explanation. This is more of a personal nit pick of mine though. It's not like I would care about it, if I wasn't royally bored while traversing the ruins and annoyed that the game offers little else than combat.
All right... imagine three guys in an abandoned building. One is tied to a chair. The second guy points a gun to the third person....

How do you know the broken pipes weren't a design choice by Skyrim Dwemer? Have you found any book refuting this theory? No? Just as I thought. Just as I thought.

I understand your anger, my friend. Skyrim does that to you. I understand it, and more, I fully support it. I do not share your nit pick though, and can't bring myself to complain much about the Dwemer ruins in Skyrim. This is where my post stops having any connection with yours. Because they were by far the highlight of the game. They may have been linear, but so is the rest of Skyrim. I loved them because their greyish stone architecture, while a different style from Morrowind, looked really good. They usually had large, impressive rooms. The hissing and moving machinery added a great atmosphere. The animunculi jumping out of hatches kept you on your toes. The many traps gave these dungens some life. Fighting animunculi was fun, and even better was what hid beneath the Dwemer ruins - the Falmer caves, with dozens of Smeagols and the awesome Chaurus. Did I mention Jeremy Soule?

They are also among the only dungeons where the infamous dungeon loop superduper shortcut to the surface makes sense, seeing as this used to be someone's home, and not some tomb with a random back door inserted for the lulz.

EDIT: Just looking at pictures of a Morrowind Dwemer ruin interior made me hear the screech of the door opening and the buzzing from the lamps(?). Hnnnnnnngh.

Last edited:

kenup

Scholar
Codex 2014
All right... imagine three guys in an abandoned building. One is tied to a chair. The second guy points a gun to the third person....
Wut?

How do you know the broken pipes weren't a design choice by Skyrim Dwemer? Have you found any book refuting this theory? No? Just as I thought. Just as I thought.
:whatho:

...Seriously?
I understand your anger
I would hardly call it anger.
They may have been linear, but so is the rest of Skyrim.
That doesn't make it exactly better. Also wasn't a point I made in my post, but whatever.
The hissing and moving machinery added a great atmosphere.
Cool. Never had a problem with that.
The animunculi jumping out of hatches kept you on your toes. The many traps gave these dungens some life.
But that's the thing. They were supposed to be cities( most of them anyways) not dungeons keeping treasures behind a big boss automation. Can you imagine the average Dwarven life in these "cities"? For you, it might bring life to the dungeons, for me it brings questions and breaks immershun.

Luzur

Good Sir
Wut?

:whatho:

...Seriously?
I understand your anger
I would hardly call it anger.
They may have been linear, but so is the rest of Skyrim.
That doesn't make it exactly better. Also wasn't a point I made in my post, but whatever.
The hissing and moving machinery added a great atmosphere.
Cool. Never had a problem with that.
The animunculi jumping out of hatches kept you on your toes. The many traps gave these dungens some life.
But that's the thing. They were supposed to be cities( most of them anyways) not dungeons keeping treasures behind a big boss automation. Can you imagine the average Dwarven life in these "cities"? For you, it might bring life to the dungeons, for me it brings questions and breaks immershun.

i too, had a small problem with that, i mean, where are the bakeries, millers etc? the resident sectors? business?

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
kenup I'm just goofing around, dude. My last post was just me expressing my desire to insert my winwangwinwangalawingo into a Skyrim Dwemer Ruin.

As I said, I don't share your personal nit pick. All I want is to sell Dwemer vacuum cleaners and work on driving Ajax out of the business. But by all means, continue. Continue bashing Bethesda's game that they worked on day and night for 5 years. Continue whining like a 6-year old because oh, Todd didn't study socioeconomic architecture before designing Dwemer ruin X. Some people, man! Some people! The entitlement! The entitlement!

Speaking of my desire to insert my winwangwinwangalawingo:

baturinsky

Arcane
Morrowind: hot and ash everywhere. Skyrim: cold. Of cause, things would stay clean and functioning longer in Skyrim.

And layout of underground dwemer cities could be influenced by need to fit them in natural caves.

hakuroshi

Augur
RPG is about killing things and getting loot. Everything else is stinky larping faggotry.

Or whatever.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
kenup I'm just goofing around, dude. My last post was just me expressing my desire to insert my winwangwinwangalawingo into a Skyrim Dwemer Ruin.

As I said, I don't share your personal nit pick. All I want is to sell Dwemer vacuum cleaners and work on driving Ajax out of the business. But by all means, continue. Continue bashing Bethesda's game that they worked on day and night for 5 years. Continue whining like a 6-year old because oh, Todd didn't study socioeconomic architecture before designing Dwemer ruin X. Some people, man! Some people! The entitlement! The entitlement!

Speaking of my desire to insert my winwangwinwangalawingo:

Not sure if try-hard or just stupid.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
RPG is about killing things and getting loot. Everything else is stinky larping faggotry.

Or whatever.
RPGs are about buying costume DLC for andyman messiah.
Brings a tear to my eye whenever people buy horse armor. So many fucking assholes think they can just go to nexusmods and pirate horse armor. They don't get that it's hurting the business. It's hurting the business, the craftsmen that make the armor and last but least the horses! No nexusmods horse armor will ever stand up to real purchased horse armor. When you buy real horse armor dlc you ensure that your horse get the proper protection it deserves for carrying around your player character.

Also Beethoven.

Deleted member 7219

Or whatever.
Brings a tear to my eye whenever people buy horse armor. So many fucking assholes think they can just go to nexusmods and pirate horse armor. They don't get that it's hurting the business. It's hurting the business, the craftsmen that make the armor and last but least the horses! No nexusmods horse armor will ever stand up to real purchased horse armor. When you buy real horse armor dlc you ensure that your horse get the proper protection it deserves for carrying around your player character.

Also Beethoven.

If you were my horse, I'd make sure you always had your horse armor on. I wouldn't want you to get hurt.

Luzur

Good Sir

Or whatever.

Also Beethoven.

...what if one would pirate the horse armor DLC?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Yes there is a book talking about specifially the layout of the dwemer ruins in the game.

Bought all the dlc today on a whim. Fucketh me

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated

Or whatever.

Also Beethoven.

...what if one would pirate the horse armor DLC?
You would get a proper horse armor but it would hurt the craftsmen, craftswomen and craftstrannies. They wouldn't get paid for their hard work and in the long run horses would be hurt by your criminal and absolutely disgusting activity.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Dawnguard only sucks because of the price and the fact they promised "expansion pack" style content. Dawnguard adds another faction questline, like the Thieve's Guild or whatever, and no more. It didn't feel worthy of that expansion pack style price and hype.

Dragonborn DOES feel like an expansion pack, and was thus better received. Also OMG MORROWIND JIZZ JIZZ JIZZ, and such.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Dragonborn DOES feel like an expansion pack, and was thus better received. Also OMG MORROWIND JIZZ JIZZ JIZZ, and such.

I really should replay Skyrim so I can do Dragonborn some more.

But Skyrim is exceptionally boring. At least Oblivion was amusing with all the retarded NPCs.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Neat. My game crashes everytime upon arrival in solstheim, when talking to that Adril Arano guy. All patches, unofficial too, installed.

:hmmm:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom