Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim Special Edition

Lemming42

Arcane
So is there any reason at all to play this if you already have a heavily modded vanilla installation?

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
If your build is stable I would imagine not. I think the biggest deal is going to a 64bit client which I guess will improve stability for a heavily modded game. But how many mods are going to be updated anyway?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
ITZ happening, Skyrim special with 4k textures :shittydog:

430-0-1477542243.jpg

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
So is there any reason at all to play this if you already have a heavily modded vanilla installation?

Not for quite some time, I imagine.

You'll have to wait till Script Extender is ported. Then mod creators have to awaken and port all their stuff if they still care. I imagine recent big mods like Enderal would be ported soon.

Can't imagine vanilla modless Skyrim can be interesting to anyone today apart from checking out the graphics. Maybe those who got it on one of those -95% sales should get to playing it now. But in general that demographic who loved Skyrim on release probably switched to Witcher 3 as, frankly, better casual open world beautiful RPG.

Turjan

Arcane
Someone count how many times that guy says "Skyrim Special Edition" in that video above.
True. The beginning of that video was also excruciatingly boring, so I stopped watching it quickly. Then again, there probably isn't much to say about a graphics overhaul.

I'm downloading it at the moment and will have at least a short glimpse for myself.

DraQ

Arcane

Not for quite some time, I imagine.

You'll have to wait till Script Extender is ported. Then mod creators have to awaken and port all their stuff if they still care. I imagine recent big mods like Enderal would be ported soon.

Can't imagine vanilla modless Skyrim can be interesting to anyone today apart from checking out the graphics.
Not if you have any alternative in any case.

It's impressive how much of these youtubers have Skyrim Special Edition and have made videos for it, when you consider that fucking game journalists are forbidden to approach the game still. Impressive.
They're the new "journalists". Impressionable and eager to get free shit before everyone else so they can bump up their viewer count - they will never badmouth a company if they just keep sending them stuff before everyone else, or just in time to get ahead of that viewer count. It's a surer deal for publishers than the (admittedly shitty) usual review outlets. These days, they reach a wider audience too, because people can't be bothered to click or read more than a couple of sentences.

Yes it is possible to decline even further. Decline knows no limits.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
There's a number of mods already available @ the nexus.
SkyUI doesn't work tho.

It's impressive how much of these youtubers have Skyrim Special Edition and have made videos for it, when you consider that fucking game journalists are forbidden to approach the game still. Impressive.
They're the new "journalists". Impressionable and eager to get free shit before everyone else so they can bump up their viewer count - they will never badmouth a company if they just keep sending them stuff before everyone else, or just in time to get ahead of that viewer count. It's a surer deal for publishers than the (admittedly shitty) usual review outlets. These days, they reach a wider audience too, because people can't be bothered to click or read more than a couple of sentences.

Yes it is possible to decline even further. Decline knows no limits.
It's sure as hell a lot better to click on a random video of someone playing the actual game than read some journalist impression of it.

Also what you say doesn't make much sense, because I'm sure it's a lot more risk to have your game streamed for hours with all potential flaws and bugs being exposed than having a bunch of profeshunal reviews with hypespeak and only select screenshots and clips being shown.

Last edited:
I don't know, impressionable 21 year old Youtube hyperactive loudmouth gamer personality #105 isn't really my cup of tea at all. It's all shit, but I was illustrating a point about their earlier access to stuff compared to standard shitty review outlets.

Seethe

Arbiter
Steam reviews say it all. Yet modders and players will still prioritize the "special" edition over the legendary one even though it looks roughly the same, it presents mere graphical tweaks and runs like crap, for the sole reason of being the latest thing. I hate people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom