Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Reused names are exactly what you'd expect to see if a piece of software has been rewritten bit by bit.

zero29

Arbiter
and i thought d.e.r.p.s. is the doritos enhanced rating point system of modern gaming journalism.

gj1: this game is a mediocre reiteration of its predecessor without any original input. the grafx are better though.
gj2: ok, that's a solid 85/100 in d.e.r.p.s.

deuxhero

Arcane
In Morrowind holding shift to walk while entering menus and dialog will toggle your run mod if you aren't holding shift when you exit them.

This easily reproduced bug is present in Skyrim, despite using a "new engine".

Actually I think Caps Lock toggled bewteen running and normal walking.
This is a thing I've noticed in Morrowind, Oblivion and both new Fallout games.

It also does, but that's a feature. Changing walk/run mode because you held shift at the wrong time is a bug. The caps lock thing actually has a variation of the same bug: If you hit caps lock while in a menu, it doesn't toggle run/walk mode (very obvious if you have a keyboard where the lock keys have an indicator or are using the console)

Ramireza

Savant
I am pretty sure that Fallout 3 will be a "hardcore rpg" someday and Fallout 4 is the first step to achieving this .

But they could dumb it down further

I don't think it is possible, but i am naive enough to underestimate the mighty power of dumbing down things.

It is still possible to miss in VATS, which can be very anticlimactic and anticinematic (have you ever seen a movie hero missing a shot in slow motion?). They can turn it into a guaranteed critical. :M

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Athelas

Arcane
Well, VATS always seemed like a homage to Fallout's turn-based origins, albeit in Bethesda's typically misguided way.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
welp

The Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System, or V.A.T.S., is a queuing system for Fallout 3 and Fallout new vegas, inspired partly by the ability to shoot specific parts in the turn-based combat system of Falloutand Fallout 2. V.A.T.S. is also used for a cinematic combat experience.

It's a Bethesda I-win button or godmode

The player character receives only 10% of normal damage in V.A.T.S

V.A.T.S. is very useful for melee and unarmed sneak attacks, as it seems to teleport the character to melee/unarmed range

:lol:
I never knew that

Obsidian change to VATS in NV

• You take 75% damage in VATS instead of 10%. Dying in V.A.T.S. is a very real possibility.
Very monocle of them.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault-Tec_Assisted_Targeting_System

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Obsidian change to VATS in NV

• You take 75% damage in VATS instead of 10%. Dying in V.A.T.S. is a very real possibility.
Very monocle of them.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault-Tec_Assisted_Targeting_System

If only most of those deaths weren't because the game celebrates some ragdoll dance for half a minute while everyone else empties their bottomless magazines into your stationary body.

Bethesda playtested their game before and realized VATS' shortcomings, Obsidian spent that time writing more dialogs.
Very monocle of them. :obviously:

zero29

Arbiter
Bethesda playtested their game before and realized VATS' shortcomings,...
yeah, the 90% dam res was a brilliant solution for the shortcomings of vats. simple, yet elegant and absolutely not just an awesome-cutscene-on-demand-button for casuals.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I never said it was a brilliant solution. But they realized when you want to take control away from the player to show long death animations, they had to give the player near invulnerability.
Sure, in Bethesda's version in combination with grim reapers sprint was a god mode awsome button for consoletards. The monocle way would have been to make ragdoll dances disable.. -able, or add a button to quit the animations prematurely. If that's not possible: leave it as it is. They had already changed the perk to remove the above retardness.

So now they had a situation where I have to choose between going full popamole (ignoring VATS altogether) or accept possible death because you are being frozen for a random amount of time with no way to "resist" it.

I am pretty sure such a game design would have created a traditional Codexian mob with torches and pitchforks in any other game. +M

(In case there WAS a button to quit VATS early I am not aware of: ignore the above rant)

deuxhero

Arcane
I think VATS went from awesome button to useless for non-melee ranges in NV. The hit chances for even a master of firearms crouching with a scoped rifle trying to body shot a stationary target across a street was stupidly low.

And VATS is only useful in melee ranges because movement is so weightless and erratic that aiming is difficult.

zero29

Arbiter
I never said it was a brilliant solution. But they realized when you want to take control away from the player to show long death animations, they had to give the player near invulnerability.
Sure, in Bethesda's version in combination with grim reapers sprint was a god mode awsome button for consoletards. The monocle way would have been to make ragdoll dances disable.. -able, or add a button to quit the animations prematurely. If that's not possible: leave it as it is. They had already changed the perk to remove the above retardness.

So now they had a situation where I have to choose between going full popamole (ignoring VATS altogether) or accept possible death because you are being frozen for a random amount of time with no way to "resist" it.

I am pretty sure such a game design would have created a traditional Codexian mob with torches and pitchforks in any other game. +M

(In case there WAS a button to quit VATS early I am not aware of: ignore the above rant)

except that they went full popamole with their implementation of vats. mechanically vats added nothing good to the game, in the end it just became a visual gimmick to emulate the over-the-top-death-animations of fo1+2 and a shortcut to avoid the shitty gunplay mechanics of fo3, the latter point being the best thing about it, really. not that obsidian's nerfs magically changed vats into something good, but at least they tried to tone down the godmode a bit.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I think VATS went from awesome button to useless for non-melee ranges in NV. The hit chances for even a master of firearms crouching with a scoped rifle trying to body shot a stationary target across a street was stupidly low.
Quite the opposite, I found that it increased the critical chance to absurd levels (especially useful against cazadors), and the to-hit chance was in reality much higher than the number that was displayed in-game. I've never played FO3 so I don't know if VATS was notably more powerful there, but for ranged builds in NV it was still a superpower that gave you an insane edge in combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom