Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim,worth it?

sullynathan

Arcane
doesn't morrowind do the same thing in which you can become leader of every faction?

Ash

Arcane
Actually is better than Morrowind. But oldfags never will leave the "muh aliens atmosphere", "muh directions in my journal" and "muh levitating nerevarine" tropes.
And neither will oldfags leave the "muh customizable spells", "muh choices in guilds and factions" "muh character actually has stats and skills, not just skills". In comparison Skyrim has what, shouts?

And neither will oldfags leave the "muh decent interface", "muh dungeon design with verticality, and general organic design", "muh puzzles that are not picture matching for toddlers","muh lack of level scaling", "muh systems like equipment repair", "muh systems in general that while average and flawed are 1000 times better than declinerim".

Morrowind ain't even that great. Had a ton of potential though, but Skyrim and Oblivion are just pure decline.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Actually is better than Morrowind. But oldfags never will leave the "muh aliens atmosphere", "muh directions in my journal" and "muh levitating nerevarine" tropes.
And neither will oldfags leave the "muh customizable spells", "muh choices in guilds and factions" "muh character actually has stats and skills, not just skills". In comparison Skyrim has what, shouts?

And neither will oldfags leave the "muh decent interface", "muh dungeon design with verticality, and general organic design", "muh puzzles that are not picture matching for toddlers","muh lack of level scaling", "muh systems like equipment repair", "muh systems in general that while average and flawed are 1000 times better than declinerim".

Morrowind ain't even that great. Had a ton of potential though, but Skyrim and Oblivion are just pure decline.
:bro:

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot

Sadly all of this is still in Oblivion which is the worst entry in the series. Except maybe choices in factions, but even here Skyrim is better as it lets you destroy a faction instead of joining and in other one progress requires you to change your very nature instead of stats.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
The only thing Skyrim had to offer (atmosphere, open world) has been done so much better in other games, like TW3. I think Skyrim is even less interesting today than it was 3 or 4 years ago.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
The only thing Skyrim had to offer (atmosphere, open world) has been done so much better in other games, like TW3. I think Skyrim is even less interesting today than it was 3 or 4 years ago.

Sadly, I wouldn't even look for Skyrim replacer in RPG genre. Games like Far Cry 3 are closer to Skyrim than TW3 where open world is just a decoration and there aren't different ways of approaching the situation (gameplay-wise, not story-wise). I still like Skyrim as an open world action RPG genre if only just because of aesthetics and connection to larger universe. And having gameplay mods actually adding some depth to the systems. But for an average person TW3 indeed would be more interesting experience. Or Far Cry series or whatever open world action game with RPG elements is trending now.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Pics or it didn't happen

42200-1-1344052836.jpg

:butthurt:

laclongquan

Arcane
You want to slam dunk Skyrim over Morrowind?

My Skyrim tits and asses are better than your Morrowind tits and asses!

:slamdunk:
(Mind you, that only work until Skywind released~ But that should take at least 6 months more, if not one year)

DeepOcean

Arcane
Newfags will never leave the "muh dishonest strawman" trope, it is already a cliche at this point.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
What are you negroes on about?

Skyrim was awright. Not earth shattering but with good mods it has its place.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
What are you negroes on about?

Skyrim was awright. Not earth shattering but with good mods it has its place.

For true believers there are no awright things, there are only masterpieces and shit. Some of the people here have seriously argued in a neighboring thread that Fallout 3 is shit and Fallout New Vegas is masterpiece even though those games are 80% the same and FNV breaking many things that worked in Fallout 3. Same as here you see people claiming Morrowind factions were good and skill/stat advancement systems was good which in my opinion is a great example of Stockholm syndrome.

Neki

Scholar
FNV fixing many things that didn't worked in Fallout 3 including but not restricted to Quests, skill checks, setting, narrative and NPCs.
Fixed that for ya.

skill/stat advancement systems was good which in my opinion is a great example of Stockholm syndrome

Wait wait wait, You saying that have a character with 100 in shield, sneak, magic and every other skill is better than an focused one, with actual weaknesses?Please say you don't and i am in some way misunderstanding what you are saying.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Well to be fair wasn't the best way to make a char in Morrowind to create a custom class with skills you almost never used as primary and your main skills as minor ones?

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
FNV fixing many things that didn't worked in Fallout 3 including but not restricted to Quests, skill checks, setting, narrative and NPCs.
Fixed that for ya.

Quests are more broken and sometimes more primitive than in Fallout 3, following more traditional and simplified hub quest system and some of them are actually awful and worse than anything Fallout 3 threw at you - dragging a corpse through a desert, triggering companion quests, praying for quests to actually work. Skill checks are in Fallout 3 and you probably encounter them in you first dialogue after tutorial.

Wait wait wait, You saying that have a character with 100 in shield, sneak, magic and every other skill is better than an focused one, with actual weaknesses?Please say you don't and i am in some way misunderstanding what you are saying.

No, nothing like that. And if you are implying Morrowind character would have any weaknesses unlike Oblivion or Skyrim character then again, it's similar to religious fervor. Just as with Fallout 3, the fact that developers had bothered to write a good story doesn't mean they made the rest of the game better.

Amusing how you guys use term like Bethestard and defending an old broken game refusing to see it's even worse in most regard than more advanced titles. Now that I look at it, Morrowind/Skyrim and Fallout3/New Vegas fan wars are similar in some regards. Morrowind had huge problems with gameplay, balance, quest/journal/faction system, world reactivity, dialogue system, characters. It had a very strong central narrative, lore that actually defines the world, exploration, inventory management. Later Bethesda decided to do action-oriented RPG and dropped the focus on lore and arguably made exploration less interesting with dropping transportation services and magic in favor of fast travel. It also fixed characters and made world the most alive RPG world we ever get (unless you compare it to small compact "worlds" like Gothic or open-world systemic games like Space Rangers or Din's Curse). Some people prefer focus on narrative over everything else, some people prefer focus on... pretty much everything else, as every other system in Skyrim is better or around the same as in Morrowind, apart from mentioned transport system. Some, of course, can not afford to comprehend their taste is not an objective measure of all possible qualities and they defend their favourite one against the bad one by trying to prove it's better in all regards, including those that didn't change or are obviously worse. Morrowind has a better story but in no possible way it has better characters, factions, gameplay, combat, progression system and so on. Skyrim fans disregard Morrowind not just because of inferior things like combat or dialogue, but try to ridicule the the better things like story or main quest - and looking for that Dwemer Puzzle Box had forced Bethesda to add quest mark because they can't be bothered to design quests and locations that actually work. You don't see them is much cause they don't have to prove anything, but I met them.

Same thing with Fallout3/NV. NV is not as big leap ahead as Skyrim over Morrowind, and it doesn't fixes as much, but as the base game was mostly good gameplay it didn't have to. Like Skyrim fixed characters and combat and many other things, NV had fixed narrative and world reactivity. It's a good choose-your-own-adventure book plus Fallout 3 gameplay. It dropped exploration from Fallout 3 and added some story problems like lack of motivation for player in first act. It also didn't use the engine properly so we get bad quests. It dropped open world systems. But for some people narrative is enough. For some people liking flawed game with a good narrative and not liking a game of similar quality with a good exploration is not enough.

So again, if you're asking yourself "is Skyrim worth it" - define what's important for you, story or the rest of the game.

And if the rest is more important then you still probably don't need Skyrim because there are plenty of games since that did similar gameplay even better and didn't drop the story ball as low. Nothing Bethesda did is among those games.

Ash

Arcane
"Cliffhangers"

Cliffracers, declinefag.

Skyrim is shit. Nearly every aspect of it is decline. It'd take plenty mods to fix, to the point where it is no longer Skyrim at all, in which case you may as well not bother to begin with and play something else.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You can shove your dollar bills the equal amount you need to buy skyrim into a goat's butthole and get alot more entertainment from it than buying and playing skyrim.

ortucis

Prophet
All Elder Droll games are shite.

Stop debating which is slightly more shit. Kinda pointless.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
One of the highly rated and most downloaded mods currently in consoles is one that disables the floating and compass markers, forcing you to use the map to guide yourself.

Do you think that Bethesda will finally get the message? It's not obviously enough? :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom