Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Skyshine's BEDLAM: REDUX!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also it's a Banner Saga clone and Banner Saga is in here, so fuck it

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Skyshine’s Bedlam Blends FTL, Mad Max, 2000 AD, Chess And XCOM

bedlam1.jpg

That’s a headline packed with good things, isn’t it? And here’s another good thing – even if you don’t like any of the games films and comics listed in that headline, there’s still a possibility that Skyshine’s Bedlam [official site] will have something for you. Maybe you liked The Banner Saga? Bedlam is built on the engine used in that game. Maybe you really like the idea of riding around a broken world within the guts of a giant mutation? Sure. You can do that.

I was sold on Bedlam after about a minute in its company. The FTL influence is in the structure of the map, which shows a series of territories in a post-catastrophe United States. You take control of a Dozer, a huge vehicle that is home to your crew and passengers as you travel from point to point in an attempt to build up enough resources to tackle a threat in the distant south. Working from the top of the map to the bottom, you’ll engage in scripted interactions with various characters an turn-based tactical combat.

bedlam5.jpg

The combat is superficially similar to The Banner Saga’s handcrafted battles but a combination of randomisation and a more rapid pace make it feel altogether unique. Rather than chipping away at armour and health as in Banner Saga, the encounters force you to rely on the specific abilities of each of your units. They can move and attack in a single turn and where you choose to place them will determine whether they survive to see the next turn. Even the toughest units are relatively fragile, and they will die if you leave them in harm’s way. Developers Skyshine draw a comparison with Chess and it’s earned – there’s a tension as to every placement and sacrifice will be required to draw enemy units into vulnerable positions.

There’s no equivalent of initiative or turn orders. You can move any unit on your turn, so using a single character to manipulate the movement of enemies is a legitimate tactic. The kill-range of every unit is visible and the small maps are split into safezones and dangerzones. You do not want to be welcomed into a dangerzone but it might be necessary if you are to expose an enemy to your allies.

bedlam3.jpg

The variety of units is impressive. They’re drawn from four factions: Marauders, Mutants, Cyborgs and The A.I.. Each has their own style of Dozer to play with and combatants to encounter or deploy. Skyshine showed me the Marauders and the Mutants. The former are raiders/Warboys, kitted out with spiked shoulder armour and funky goggles. Mutants are one with radiation and the remnants of chemical warfare. They have to be taken out quickly because the gain hitpoints with every turn that passes. That makes combat encounters with them a completely different tactical proposition to a fight between two gangs of Marauders, who have a more conventional set of abilities.

All combat has a time limit of sorts though. A meter rises after every turn and when it’s full your opponent gets two moves for every one you make. Life is unfair and so is Bedlam’s world. You’re working with one save per playthrough – if you lose half of your crew or passengers during an ill-advised detour into the land of sentient machines, you’ll have to make the best of whatever’s left over – but the game is designed to grab your interest from the first minute. Part of that is the randomisation, ensuring you’re not simply repeating the same opening stage over and over, but the other part is thestructure around the random elements. From what I’ve seen, there’s a real sense of progression built into the game. You’re always moving forward, always improving your Dozer’s weaponry and abilities (which can sway battles in your favour), and always discovering new encounters.

bedlam4.jpg

It all looks splendid. Smart combat and a compelling string of encounters across a fascinating world. The world is the icing on the cake. It might be the cake as well as the icing actually. It’s a mish-mash of science fiction ideas that felt more like Dredd’s Cursed Earth than Mad Max to me, and it’s a creation that two of the developers have been toying with for years. A fusion of many of the pop culture worlds that they love, it manages to feel novel, partly thanks to the context of such an unusual game and partly thanks to the sheer brilliance of the art. Sometimes visuals that look fantastic in stills lose something in motion – Bedlam is even more striking when it’s happening right in front of you. I haven’t seen a better looking game this year.

Whether the simple resource management will be sufficient to make the journey between one encounter and the next compelling in its own right isn’t clear. Resource gathering carries through into combat in the form of optional risk-reward pickups but I think it’s mainly handled during encounters on the main map in the form of brief choices – send a few crew members to steal fuel from marauders and risk losing them. That sort of thing.

bedlam2.jpg

Whatever the case, this was one of the highlights of a crowded and exceptionally entertaining Gamescom. It’ll be out later this year and, busy as I am, if it were out tomorrow, I’d be playing it right through the weekend.

bonescraper

At fist i was extatic when i saw it on Steam, but looks like it's a Banner Saga clone. Any info on character progression or anything? Stats? Equipment? If it's as shallow as Bannu then i'll pass.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At fist i was extatic when i saw it on Steam, but looks like it's a Banner Saga clone. Any info on character progression or anything? Stats? Equipment? If it's as shallow as Bannu then i'll pass.
If you spend 5 minutes and read this review you'll notice he claims the exact opposite of what you think it looks like...

bonescraper

K, so you can only upgrade your dozer, and there are random battlefield pick-ups. Such depth, much RPG.

Pass.

Maelflux

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ahh Bedlam. Game looked rather great, but they really had some stupid custom in-game thing based on tiers that I detested. So had to cancel my backing of it. (as well as telling them that 80% of the backers were not *really* backing them. Jerks)

Kron

Arcane
Huh, BEDLAM.

I remember seeing this pic and realizing they had plagiarized a random 3d modeler/concept artist.

ed567493a28f901381e5f1e2500746d6_large.gif

snow-crash-l-bob-rife.jpg

Not the first game that does something like this, but pretty fucking cheap considering one the supposed selling points of the game is the visual style.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Well, the day is here. And by “the day is here” we mean the day we’re telling you when the real day will be here… We’ve got a release date! Mark your calendars, set your alarms, request your vacation time and schedule your babysitters: Skyshine’s BEDLAM will be unleashed unto the world on Thursday, September 17th! That’s next month. No foolin’! And here’s our new trailer to prove it.

Athelas

Arcane
I find it funny they're so anxious to stress the combat isn't anything like Banner Saga's in that stream, considering it looks much less interesting and tactical.

Resource management does seem to be improved from Banner Saga, where letting everyone starve to death paradoxically made your party members much stronger.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It looks pretty degenerate from that video. From what I saw, you pick 1-6 units to fight with, with greater rewards the less you take. To actually get anything though, you have to walk over it on the battlefield. The way turns are handled seems pretty weird too in that its 2 actions for me (with any dude(s)) and then two actions for the ai. Seems the only actual reason to bring more dudes would be as hp sponges or if there's abilities and such (none were shown).

Looks interesting, but also very degenerate.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I find it funny they're so anxious to stress the combat isn't anything like Banner Saga's in that stream, considering it looks much less interesting and tactical.

Resource management does seem to be improved from Banner Saga, where letting everyone starve to death paradoxically made your party members much stronger.
At least, you are not penalized for killing opponents, which is an improvement.
It looks like some of their feature go against each other :
They want to get a chess like feeling by allowing you to move whoever you want, but ranged combat, HPs, and limited turns all go against it :
ranged combat and HP allow you to attack without risking your piece too much (while in chess, you need to be careful not to get trapped with your queen after taking a piece), and turn limit (the blitz jauge) incites you to hammer at the opponent instead of setting your pieces so that they support each other.
It can still work depending on the specific of the game rules and character stats (Heroscape uses a similar system, and it works rather well), so it is hard to tell from the video whether the good parts will overshadow the bad ones.

Last edited:
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
For those interested, Bedlam is now in backer beta (no doubt there will be some play-throughs popping up for people to check out...), and the release has moved closer one day, to the 16th.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom