Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper Slashy Souls, Dark Souls endless runner mobile spin-off from Gamestop!!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:hmmm:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bandainamcoent.android.slashysouls
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/slashy-souls/id1055774718?mt=8

REVIEW: SLASHY SOULS

PRESENTED BY GAMESTOP!!!

Have you ever been in a GameStop and looked up at the monitor to witness that awful rabbit mascot ad?

Slashy Souls is a lot like that, but somehow worse. It's one giant ad that disgraces theSouls name.

AAA1-noscale.jpg

Slashy Souls (iOS [tested on an iPhone 6])
Developer: Bandai Namco
Publisher: Bandai Namco
Released: February 28, 2016
MSRP: Free (also a sliver of your soul)

That (above) is the actual title screen. Look at that shit. 'Pre-order now' is pretty much all you need to know in terms of what awaits you with this game.

Slashy Souls, like many big studio mobile adaptions, is a runner. But unlike other publishers that actually contracted talented studios to craft surprising hits, this one is better left in the digital trash bin. Players simply hold the screen to block, tap to slash, swipe up to jump, and swipe to the sides to roll. It truly displays the versatility of the mobile platform, especially since the controls are so responsive, but literally everything else is a wash.

I mean, it resembles a Newgrounds flash game from the early 2000s, but somehow worse. Attacks have zero weight to them. Enemies are uninspired and bland. Even death has no meaning, which is literally a Souls staple. It impels players to "chase the high score," and that's it. There's no nuance to Slashy Souls and the action isn't defined past "slashing." A few power-ups like a shield and fireball spell do nothing to actually elevate the experience.

DDD-noscale.jpg

Leap across some fire pits and frantically tap to jump, and slash some more, then do that until you're bored -- which will likely only be a few minutes. It's not just a cash-in on name alone, though, as there's even a few "inspired" enemies like a direct rip of the iconic boss Gravelord Nito. Much like the new Crouching Tiger sequel that just debuted on Netflix, there's almost nothing authentic about this game. Even the "You Died" spread popping up after failure is a sweet release.

There will be someone out there who will defend this game. But in the deepest depths of their soul, they'll know they're wrong. There are almost no redeeming qualities to Slashy Souls outside of the fact that it technically works. Don't blame From Software for this -- the studio didn't even make it. And even if the developer gave the project its blessing, there's no way it could have possibly predicted what it was doing or how poorly Slashy Souls was going to turn out.

THE VERDICT: 1

THE WORST - One of my least favorite games ever. Just thinking about it is upsetting. I am upset.

tormund

Arcane
This is still going to have few thousands user reviews once it is (inevitably) out on Steam, with at least 80% being positive and all the best rated ones being one line memes. Git gud Destructoid!

Riskbreaker

Do love how they reduced Nito to being regular random monster that spawns pretty much everywhere, proly due to him being the most meme-friendly of original Dark Souls bosses.

Farage

Arcane
Patron
not sure if :incline: because souls fanboys are butthurt or :decline: because its mobile crap
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Angthoron

Arcane
But will this need a gamepad to play, fuck you and get a gamepad if you don't like the kb m port, crybabies

Angthoron

Arcane
But will this need a gamepad to play, fuck you and get a gamepad if you don't like the kb m port, crybabies
It will be perfectly playable with KB&M, you just need to GIT GUD LOL. :souls fan:
Well I'm just grateful they released it on this platform to begin with :souls fan:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom