Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sleeping Dogs

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Wait the Codex is now dicussing games based on an Angry Joe review?

:hmmm:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
These open world action games, it's kinda like with Diablo clones: Many are being made, but they never come close to the original, because these frauds lack the dedication, expertise, heartblood and time to turn it into perfection.

The world does not need more average Diablo and GTA clones.

Yeah, for example Blizzard should stop making those.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
After the shortlived and underwhelming Diablo 3, I actually tend to agree. A Diablo 4 (or D3 XPs) are completely redundant.

Blizzard is in a great position though and still got lots of talent, why they're not using that to make something more worthwhile (like say, a real RPG) can only explained through the assumption that they a) don't want to or b) are not allowed to.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
After the shortlived and underwhelming Diablo 3, I actually tend to agree. A Diablo 4 (or D3 XPs) are completely redundant.

Blizzard is in a great position though and still got lots of talent, why they're not using that to make something more worthwhile (like say, a real RPG) can only explained through the assumption that they a) don't want to or b) are not allowed to.

They can't. Only working on WoW for so many years has declined them to the point where they try to apply the WoW design philosophy to everything. You can even see it in SC2, and Diablo 3 is all but WoW with with a different camera position. I really doubt they can produce anything of worth nowadays; if they could, SC2 and D3 wouldn't be the way they are.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
No thanks. I'll just wait for the real thing (GTA V).

These open world action games, it's kinda like with Diablo clones: Many are being made, but they never come close to the original, because these frauds lack the dedication, expertise, heartblood and time to turn it into perfection.

The world does not need more average Diablo and GTA clones.

Then why the fuck do you bother starting threads about such shitty games?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why wait for GTA V, if it will probably just the same as 4. They won't do anything new with the story, you will be a small gangster who will rise to the top. The gameplay won't be too different. How do I know? It is made by Rockstar. Sleeping Dogs is not perfect, but at least it does a few things differently.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Saints Row already does GTA better than Rockstar has for years. But anyway, this thread was supposed to be about SD and stuffies.

I played a few hours yesterday:
+ Setting is fresh and it feels like Hong Kong (though thankfully much less crowded)
+ Environmental kills are amusing, if morally questionable
+ NPCs have quite diverse variety of actions they perform (fishing etc.)
+ Car handling is better than GTA 4 as an example
+ Melee is much better than usually in the games of this genre, though I have issues with the controls
+ No shootan' and no gun in the first hours, which is nice
+ You have very limited health regeneration, and regaining health in combat is usually only possible by filling up your "face meter"
+/- Story has had slow start so far and no memorable characters
+/- Rather serious tone
+/- Very few minigames and distractions
+/- Radio channels are rather unmemorable
- Combat is often quite unfair (10 v.s. 1) and autosave is only at the beginning of the first stage
- To get max police XP, you have to avoid causing collateral damage, which gets annoying quite fast (-5 points of destruction of public property, -15 for killing a pedastrian)
- Choppy performance on extreme setting
- Clichéd protagonist
- Missions have mostly been of the "go to place X, kick everyone's ass" -variety
- Pimping out your wardrobe and car is very limited

All in all, I'm quite happy that I bough the russian version instead of full retail price. I estimate a solid 7/10 experience, unless experience degrades (or improves) radically.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Extra polish? Possibly, but Sleeping Dogs wasn't unpolished. It had a few rough edges, but nothing serious. As for the R* humor, I have doubts about that. GTA3 and Vice City had that, but from there they try to be serious for whatever reason.

Saints Row already does GTA better than Rockstar has for years.

I only played through The Third so my understanding might be limited, but based on what I've seen in The Third I'd say bullshit to this. Saints Row does Saints Row, not GTA. I like their style but it's not the same.

Look, I understand that some people prefer this simple driving model over GTA 4's semi-realistic one, but calling it better is an asshole thing to do. You're not a fan of driving mechanics that actually require you to get good at it? Fine. But some people, like me, like it when car behavior at least somewhat resembles the on in real life. Driving in Sleeping Dogs is not really fun to me, just as it wasn't in older GTA games, or SR The Third. But it's not a deal breaker, I can still enjoy these games for other things.

I've played this for couple of hours yesterday and so far it's pretty good, although controls could be a lot better. Game looks good, runs good (45-60 FPS) with nearly everything maxed (except AA dropped to High, SSAO to Normal and Motion Blur off) on my GTX460 SE. It might still turn out to be repetitive shit I guess, but so far it seems like a solid game. Although I don't see myself liking it more than GTA 4 + Episodes or Saints Row The Third.

As for the R* humor, I have doubts about that. GTA3 and Vice City had that, but from there they try to be serious for whatever reason.

You have some strange sense of humor (or lack of it) if you think San Andreas or GTA 4 were actually trying to be serious.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

They can't. Only working on WoW for so many years has declined them to the point where they try to apply the WoW design philosophy to everything. You can even see it in SC2, and Diablo 3 is all but WoW with with a different camera position. I really doubt they can produce anything of worth nowadays; if they could, SC2 and D3 wouldn't be the way they are.

SC2's campaign is full of BW-level stupidity.

Deleted member 7219

Saints Row already does GTA better than Rockstar has for years. But anyway, this thread was supposed to be about SD and stuffies.

I played a few hours yesterday:
+ Setting is fresh and it feels like Hong Kong (though thankfully much less crowded)
+ Environmental kills are amusing, if morally questionable
+ NPCs have quite diverse variety of actions they perform (fishing etc.)
+ Melee is much better than usually in the games of this genre, though I have issues with the controls
+ No shootan' and no gun in the first hours, which is nice
+ You have very limited health regeneration, and regaining health in combat is usually only possible by filling up your "face meter"
+/- Story has had slow start so far and no memorable characters
+/- Rather serious tone
+/- Very few minigames and distractions
+/- Radio channels are rather unmemorable
- Combat is often quite unfair (10 v.s. 1) and autosave is only at the beginning of the first stage
- To get max police XP, you have to avoid causing collateral damage, which gets annoying quite fast (-5 points of destruction of public property, -15 for killing a pedastrian)
- Choppy performance on extreme setting
- Clichéd protagonist
- Missions have mostly been of the "go to place X, kick everyone's ass" -variety
- Pimping out your wardrobe and car is very limited

All in all, I'm quite happy that I bough the russian version instead of full retail price. I estimate a solid 7/10 experience, unless experience degrades (or improves) radically.

I disagee about the radio channels. Kerrang and Sagittarius are really good - you've got stuff like Queen, The Who, The Jam, Kasabian and some electronic stuff like Ladyhawke, who I hadn't heard of before but quite like now. The serious tone is a breath of fresh air for me after playing Just Cause 2 and Saints Row 3. As for minigames... you've got those orange side-missions that you do for face XP, you've got loads of races, and you have the drug busts. I'm not even half way through the game yet and it seems there's a lot to do.

I think there's lots of opponents in combat to keep it challenging. If you know the button presses well then you can finish a fight against three guys in about 30 seconds flat. If you've got more to deal with then you have to think harder about dodging and planning your attacks. Worked the same way in the Batman Arkham games.

Performance is ok when you turn AA down to high and turn V-Sync off. I'm running at around 40FPS on a Geforce 560TI. My processor isn't an i7, just an old quad-core.

And how can you say the protagonist is cliched? In games like this the protagonist is some shitty little gangster looking for money (GTA, Saints Row) or someone without a past just looking to blow shit up (Just Cause). I quite like the idea of playing a double agent who's having a hard time figuring out what's what.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

SC2 campaign is what happens when you take a SF B-movie and hire WoW writers to produce the script. The Brood War one was way better, if only because the game didn't shove it in your face so much. It also didn't desperately try to be a movie with an RTS minigame during ad breaks.

Turjan

Arcane
Look, I understand that some people prefer this simple driving model over GTA 4's semi-realistic one, but calling it better is an asshole thing to do. You're not a fan of driving mechanics that actually require you to get good at it? Fine. But some people, like me, like it when car behavior at least somewhat resembles the on in real life. Driving in Sleeping Dogs is not really fun to me, just as it wasn't in older GTA games, or SR The Third. But it's not a deal breaker, I can still enjoy these games for other things.
Semi-realistic? I was furious when I couldn't use the mouse to steer anymore.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
you don't need max police xp due to the police side missions. pretty easy to hit police 10 way before story starts rolling if you just do the drug busts.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Performance is ok when you turn AA down to high and turn V-Sync off. I'm running at around 40FPS on a Geforce 560TI. My processor isn't an i7, just an old quad-core.

I have pretty much the same setup actually. I'm suspecting some kind of a bug actually, if you drive beyond a certain speed, the screen starts jerking/tearing/shaking like your car's suspension was bust.

And how can you say the protagonist is cliched? In games like this the protagonist is some shitty little gangster looking for money (GTA, Saints Row) or someone without a past just looking to blow shit up (Just Cause). I quite like the idea of playing a double agent who's having a hard time figuring out what's what.

The whole "troubled past, cop with a vendetta" -angle. And the fact that he starts breaking apart on the first morning (after you sleep). Plus the case files and whatnot. Unless there are major twists coming up, he is pretty much textbook undercover cop with conflicted past. Fresh in games but not in the genre.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

SC2 campaign is what happens when you take a SF B-movie and hire WoW writers to produce the script. The Brood War one was way better, if only because the game didn't shove it in your face so much. It also didn't desperately try to be a movie with an RTS minigame during ad breaks.

That it was, Kerrigan wasn't some cackling witch and Mengsk wasn't a self-parody, nor did the story go all over the place with sub-plots that have nothing to do with anything like ME2 loyalty missions.

(To clear any confusion I meant Bioware not Brood War in my first post)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom