Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sleeping Dogs

CreamyBlood

Arcane
So, is this a movie or a video game?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Don't forget the truck load of pre-planned DLC it has (they sell it via a 'season pass').

Then why the fuck do you bother starting threads about such shitty games?

Because I hoped it wouldn't turn out to be so shitty?

You need to brush up on your analytical skills because you should have been able to tell that before actual making this thread.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Look, I understand that some people prefer this simple driving model over GTA 4's semi-realistic one, but calling it better is an asshole thing to do. You're not a fan of driving mechanics that actually require you to get good at it? Fine. But some people, like me, like it when car behavior at least somewhat resembles the on in real life. Driving in Sleeping Dogs is not really fun to me, just as it wasn't in older GTA games, or SR The Third. But it's not a deal breaker, I can still enjoy these games for other things.
I read this a lot, but I can't agree with it. I've played GTA4, but I don't think that it had semi-realistic driving. It wanted to have that, but it failed. It had good physics when the cars collided, but they could spin out too easily, and their suspension was so soft, they were moving like boats on water.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
No thanks. I'll just wait for the real thing (GTA V).

These open world action games, it's kinda like with Diablo clones: Many are being made, but they never come close to the original, because these frauds lack the dedication, expertise, heartblood and time to turn it into perfection.

The world does not need more average Diablo and GTA clones.

If all GTA clones are like this then I welcome more of them.

I was surprised by hod good this game was. Stands up with GTA games.

And rain looks fucking amazing with HD textures and settings.

Emma Stone was underused :(

Like legit 10 lines in the game.

Maybe it's just because Ching Chong land isn't used that much in games but it has great atmosphere.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i like the game, despite it being buggy as hell. definitely better than vanilla gta 4.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Buggy as hell? I've yet to find a bug in the game, and I'm playing quite a lot with it.

Deleted member 7219

Only found two bugs, where I needed to collect a case off someone but when I beat him up, his case fell through the ground. The other one might be performance related - when running or walking down a road the screen can sometimes jitter.

Other than those, no bugs.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
let's see...
1.03:
i'm not getting any steam achievements awarded.
first time i started playing naz would just stop at some point and not move any further in the intro mission and just magically appear at the end if you kept running. also the cops wouldn't move into position the way they are supposed to.
the game often crashed with hkship has stopped working errors.
took patch 1.04 for that mission to work properly.
after face level up i was changing paint jobs on car in garage when car valet called to tell me he's available, which stuck the game permanently on the garage screen and nothing worked to get out of that.

1.04:
still no steam achievements.
when you go to bed and trigger multiple phone updates, the newer ones override the old ones and you can't scroll history or anything. had a brief flash that not ping left a voice message, but then another one from raymond triggered before i could actually listen to/trigger said voice mail, and no way to trigger it afterwards.
people and barrels sometimes spawn in midair and fall down for no reason. seems to be bound to specific areas. also rarely happens to you if you leave car in/after a few of the missions.
game still often crashes with hkship errors, but now they seem to be related to certain story points and actions (handing in last jade statue, vaulting over cover when rescuing the girls in kidnapper 3).
lots of minor but nevertheless annoying physics and clipping glitches, especially related to special objects like the lockboxes.
possible bug: sometimes a driver in a race just keeps getting faster and faster developing a truly monstrous advantage and me failing the race around 50-70% completion with no possibility to win whatsoever.

Ermm

Erudite
Tried the game, it has some flashy gimmicks, but that's all there is to it. All flash, and all forgettable.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Can you save during missions, or is it like in GTA?

Are the missions actually interesting? I remember trying hard to get into GTA4, but the missions were so boring that I gave up after 10 hours of play.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Like in all games of the genre, missions are just short challenges that progress the story. Good in short sessions, gets old if you do too much without break.

BTW, updating display drivers eliminated my crashing problem completely.

Finished the main story. Seemed fairly short for a game of this type. Although I didn't really bother with most of the side content. Overall the game was fairly fun - 7/10. Some issues with controls, camera can sometimes get annoying, too many minigames and QTEs. And the story, while engaging enough, takes itself too seriously for the amount of cliches that it has. Also completely underwhelming last fight. Still, if you like this type of game there's a big chance you'll have a lot of fun with Sleeping Dogs.

Very nice looking game, except for Depth Of Field which cannot be turned off. How I hate that effect and everyone who forces it on me in games. I imagine they think it helps with draw distance issues, but it still pisses me off.

20glk40.jpg

thesoup

Arcane
I saw a stream of this game the other day. Looks very gimmicky, but somewhat decent. I might get it on a 5€ sale one day.

thesoup

Arcane
J_C
Lots of really pointless minigames and derpy batman aa/ac-like melee with lots of contextual press button to win counters. Enemies glow when they're about to attack you.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Well to those awesome erotic scenes. You know, the ones where the people wear clothes during sex. :D

Shadenuat

Arcane
I liked that game because it allows to dress like Jackie Chan (I chose an outfit which reminded me of "Who am I?", and no, that was't Zulu rags) and kick bad guys just like in his movies. And you can free-run the same and do some stunts, and there are even some scenes which reminded me of his movies a lot - for example, there's a mission where you need to do street-racing with two shouting girls in your car. Fun.
So this game would be great if there would be a more variable fightning system, more straight-forward missions with mooore unique fightning moves and stunts... and they should be longer! And more cinematic!
But instead there's karaoke.

Should've maked it "Police Story: The Game" and get on with it. Still it was fun to play even as GTA clone with all the unnecessary stuff (like, umm, guns).

Other thing I liked it you play the game as a cop (even if undercover). Too many GTA's are about playing some nameless scum, while playing someone with moral values in a setting of criminal world potentially creates a more interesting conflict (remember Mafia where you start as just a simple taxi driver). What I did't like is there are no choices to make in the story and it's too hard to be "good cop" (hit a parking sign you evil fucker? no 3 stars for you).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom