Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Small OpenRA Tourney, Take 2

Dayyālu

Arcane
geftsvyjjd.jpg

So, seeing as the first attempt done by raw died a pitiful death, I'd like to steo in and attempt to organize a small OpenRA tourney. OpenRA, for those that do not know, it's pretty much a free and updated version of the classic Tiberian Dawn (the first GDI Vs Nod C&C), of the first Red Alert with the added bonus of a somewhat functional Dune2k thrown in for good measure.

I'm quite a noob myself, and I hope that Master RTS players will reveal themselves and give some practice games to the unwashed masses before the matches, if we ever start.

That said, we can use mods to restore the original balance (as far as i understand, some changes were implemented in OpenRA) and I'm quite flexible for the choices of games. If we want to play a bracket with the RA2 given by Origin, why not.

As for the symbolic prize for the Winner (as no competition is good without the laurel, even a digital one) I'll think of something. Probably cheap. I promise scantily clad girls after every battle report, though! Who the heck knew people liked that leather dress of Lieutenant Zofia so much

raw Kalin Johannes sqeecoo Declinator Grimgravy Ed123 Darth Roxor

I'm not raw, so I hope to start this soonish. And gimme your time zone, but I bet that as usual we will have hordes of Slavs everywhere.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Affirmative!

Probably gonna get kicked out first, but who cares. Zone is prime time Al Scandiyan.

(Would prefer OpenRA though, not fooken dolphin and multi-dick RA2)

Luka-boy

Arcane
Question: Is there anything that makes OpenRA better than CnCNet for this kind of thing? I've been using the latter for years but never tried OpenRA.

sqeecoo

Arcane
I'm in! I know you have to click somewhere to the side to make tanks, which pretty much makes me a pro.

I still remember I played the old RA in German dub, and how the spy would instead of "for king and country!" say "FUR KONIGSREICH UND VATERLAND!" Was way more dramatic. My mate recently traveled through I think Switzerland, and there were multi-lingual warnings in the train to not stick your head out or whatnot, saying it was "strongly/totally forbidden" in various languages. In German it just said "VERBOTEN."

Anyway, I'm in :D

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I'll put my incredibly rusty skills to the test. But I'll be limited in when I can play.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Question: Is there anything that makes OpenRA better than CnCNet for this kind of thing? I've been using the latter for years but never tried OpenRA.

Uhnnnn.... I've never used CnCNet. OpenRA is somewhat clunky in some places, but it works. Gotta test CnCNet.

I'll put my incredibly rusty skills to the test. But I'll be limited in when I can play.

Gimme yer Time Zone and we'll see and work about it.

I still remember I played the old RA in German dub

I played RA2 in German, for weird reasons. The Apocalypse tank dubbing sounds better than the English one.

About the RA2/RA1-TibDawn thing, it's mostly if both parties want to make a try at RA2 they can freely. The baseline would be of course RA1/TibDawn. If it was for me I would love Emperor: Battle of Dune (the last "proper Westwood" RTS) but we can't. FOR GEIDI PRIME

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
UTC-6:00

I'm down for the original C&C stuff. I always had the most fun with that. I'm not a fan of Red Alert.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Sign-ups are still open, but a theoretical set-up could be this one:

xwqqdqvyug.png

Let's wait a day or two for other people, then we can set-up matches, check the timezones and the game types. Oh god I have raw I am so dead

Johannes

Arcane
I'm in. What maps are we gonna play, and what mod if any? I don't really have much opinion, as long as I know in advance.

Best of 3 matches, or just 1-off? Finals could be bo5.

Is it possible to spectate in OpenRA?

Dayyālu

Arcane
Oh, well then we are nine.

I'm in. What maps are we gonna play, and what mod if any? I don't really have much opinion, as long as I know in advance.

As it is newb land, and I have no will to test maps for theoretically five games (if some madman wants to play RA2 or TibSun) I'd suggest that's up to the players to choose a map fitting, I don't think it must be so hard to make a quick PM convo, set up gametype and map, choose hours, and then do it.

If the thing degenerates too much, I'm going to cut the choice and we are back to RA1/TibDawn only. About mods, I am not unhappy with the OpenRa balance, but again the last thread had a nice "back to the original mod" that could be employed. Up to the players, this is not serious business.

Best of 3 matches, or just 1-off? Finals could be bo5.

That's a rather nice thing to ask. For me it's pretty much the same, but bo3 could avoid to punish too much dumb mistakes or bad openings. So, I'd prefer bo3, but if someone makes a good case against it I'm willing to hear.

Is it possible to spectate in OpenRA?

It is indeed possible. I don't know about CnCNet, though, even if I think that's a yes also for that.

Luka-boy

Arcane
I can't join, sadly. I'll be way too busy for the foreseeable future starting tomorrow.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I can't join, sadly. I'll be way too busy for the foreseeable future starting tomorrow.

No prob. Good luck, and we are back to eight contestants.

I'll give it two more days or so, and then draft the brackets and the rules. For now:

- I build the brackets. I reserve the option to switch some players for timezone concerns, but just for that emergency.

- You choose the game (OpenRA with RA1/TibDawn, or even Dune2k if you are insane enough), TibSun or RA2 with CnCNet or the Origin giveaway. You choose the map, and set up time and hour with me and your opponent in a private convo. If the decision gets messy or contested, we are going back to RA1/TibDawn.

- Play the game. With OpenRA you can spectate, or if I can't you can send me the replay files. This is not "serious business", but a game can crash or there can be bugs, and I'd like to see you in action even ;)

- Best of Three. Every bracket plays three games.

- The winner gets the victory laurel.

UTC+1, right?

And guys, if you want to play some test games post here freely. Maybe someone is daring enuff to give ya a hand.

Johannes

Arcane
Why multiple games? I thought this was just Red Alert. A multi-game tourney can be done too, but then there should be some fair methodology to picking the game (start with one, then loser picks the game for next round for examle).

And GMT+3

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
ayfajlclym.jpg

Days gone, let's close the sign ups and roll the brackets.

gjbdibjedi.png

Start a PM with your chosen opponent, and discuss the preferences. If I'm invited, even better.

I'm quite happy to get KKK, as the organizer I have to take a shot for the team and organize mah schedule a bit for the Brother on the other side of Earth. We'll manage.

Why multiple games? I thought this was just Red Alert. A multi-game tourney can be done too, but then there should be some fair methodology to picking the game (start with one, then loser picks the game for next round for examle).

Stock options are RA1 and TibDawn. If both partecipants have another C&C at their disposal and want to go for it I am not against playing what you prefer/like. Let's keep it stupid and simple: if the choice is agreed between the two players, we keep that one. If it's not, the player in the first bracket chooses, then the loser of each of the bo3 matches. It's clear and proper enough?

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Good news if that the game runs fine on my system. Bad news is that after so long I suck! :negative:

Still going to fight for the honor of the Americas :kwafuckyeah:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I was vaguely interested, but maybe next time. I spent most of my early RTS days with Age of Empires and Warcraft/Starcraft. Later Empire Earth/RoN.

Red Alert etc. always seemed like that weird cousin that a lot of people loved but I never really "got". Maybe it was the live action videos? :lol:

I did play a lot of, and enjoy, Tiberian Sun.

Dayyālu

Arcane
kari_tanya.jpg

This one is for Johannes and his appreciation of the Eternal Black Man

Annnd the first bracket between me and KKK is over! Game was Red Alert 1.

First Match

Russia (Dayyalu) VS Russia (KKK)

Replay: https://d.maxfile.ro/qzfxpucdlh.orarep

xmmkfigkvf.png

Winner: Dayyalu (Russia)

A fun 15 min match. Map was quite small, and it was over when I got a good attack with Heavy Tanks and Shock/Tesla Troopers in.

Second Match

Germany (Dayyalu) vs Russia (KKK)

Replay: https://d.maxfile.ro/awjwbcslth.orarep

mvexjjhoik.png

Winner: Dayyalu (Germany)

24 mins. I can't use the Allies to save my own hide, but a tac nuke opened the way to a quick infantry/tank assault.

KKK, was fun :salute:. If you play with OpenRA and it's not too much of a bother, upload the replays. Always nice to see how others play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom