Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, Another World is actually shit (but at least it's short)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was browsing my GOG account today because I wanted to incline myself a little with a good old classic, and thought I give Another World 20th Anniversary a try, because I haven't had the chance to play it yet. And I've heared a lot of good about this game. It is labeled revolutinary by many.

My question is: how the fuck this is called a classic?

Before you blow off my head, hear me out. There are pros regarding the game. The artstyle is very unique and nicely done, the sound effects and music are also nice. The story is kinda interesting. And when you have to figure out a puzzle, the game performs nicely. BUT all that is ruined by its trial and error traps, and the even worse combat.

I mean, who the hell enjoys this combat? All you do is mash the fire button like an idiot, because the faster you mash, the more lasers you fire, and have a bigger chance to penetrate the enemies shield. And if you don't mash fast enough, you die from one hit. Oh, and great job using one button for the fire, the shield and the mega-laser, this way you will have a bigger chance to mess it up during a heavy firefight and die immediately. The movement controls are not responsive at all. Also, you can call this game the harbinger of decline, because it has cutscene, which you cannot skip, and you have to watch them again and again and again, because you will die again and again and again. And lets not forget about the platforming elements, which are a pain in the ass because of the non-responsive movement. And if you die? Go back to the latest checkpoint, watch the cinematic and try again. Then rinse and repeat.

I wanted to like this game, but only 2 hours in, and I was already infuriated. I'm too old for this shit.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
tumblr_mme9xiqBQt1rtie29o1_400.gif

It's a puzzle game genius. Mayhap you're looking for flashback or prince of persia for actual platforming?

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
You don't mash button to destroy the enemy shield, you use the laser power shot to take it down and then shoot the enemy (need only 1-2 shots). Can't agree with the supposed non-responsive controls, it ain't the most fluid platformer ever but I always found it controlled well enough and had little trouble with platforming segments (both as a kid and when I replayed it as an adult).

Also, trial and error design wasn't as much looked down upon back then. It only become reviled in the modern gaming era and it's obsession with catering to the lowest common denominator and holding player's hand.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Honestly, another world is something i completed once and never touched again. Flashback on the other hand i completed many times in my Amiga, it is like a series of QTE before there were QTE.
:negative:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ok, hold on a minute. I gave the game another go at the spot which made my piss boiled. And I managed to progress. And then the game was over.
I mean, The End, credits roll and that's it. This game is 2 hours long? What the flying fuck? :hahano:

Ok, so I can say that I managed to finish that game. Pfew, glad that it is out of the way. I'm actually happy that it is this short.

Silva

Arcane
Some games strenght lies in their novelty. Another World is pretty much this case - its animations, alien aesthetics, sounds and atmosphere, etc. all combined into a rich experience that was more or less novel at the time.

Take over the novelty and not much is left. Its like playing Half-Life after having played Deus Ex.

when another world was published it was a groundbreaking piece of technology. the graphics, the controls, the narration, everything was new and of top notch quality.
it sucked as a game, it was just a glorified laser game in the end, but it was something never seen before.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Well J_C not all games can be brilliant, smart and epic in length like Broken Age.
Well Broken Age is longer and has better gameplay, and that's a popamole adventure game.

when another world was published it was a groundbreaking piece of technology. the graphics, the controls, the narration, everything was new and of top notch quality.
it sucked as a game, it was just a glorified laser game in the end, but it was something never seen before.
Yeah I get it. In the end I share this opinion. It has unique graphics (even with today's standards), narration and atmosphere. I just expected the gameplay to be more than "a glorified laser game" as you said.

I will never be banned. :smug:

Severian Silk

This series is a precursor to Oddworld I think. Thanks for playing the game, Matt.

made

Arcane
Another World is a Work of Art. Sure, the trial&error gameplay sucks; it's all about the visuals and atmosphere.

Sort of like Shadow of the Beast 2. Have you played Beast 2, Matt?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Another World is a Work of Art. Sure, the trial&error gameplay sucks; it's all about the visuals and atmosphere.

Sort of like Shadow of the Beast 2. Have you played Beast 2, Matt?
Can't say I have. :(

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
You'll hate the entire series

casual

Oddworld is indeed a sorta spiritual successor, never thought about it. It's also a much better gameplay game with hard puzzles while still being hard as carbon steel.

A user named cat

There's also this which was a bit similar to AW and had some of the best animations ever:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Another World has a direct sequel called Heart of the Alien and 2 spiritual sequels: Flashback and Heart of Darkness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom