Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, Another World is actually shit (but at least it's short)

Play flashback now.:dance:

No, play Heart of the Alien instead and watch how the bad game looks.

Original AW is an excellent puzzle platformer. AFAIR I never had to mash button in combat, just work out proper combination of shields / strong blasts and thats all. Both Abe's, Heart of Darkness, Flashback - these were much harder games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Flashback is a systems-driven action-adventure-puzzle-platformer. It is a very different creature from Another World and NOT a spiritual sequel. It's more similar to the original Prince of Persia games (but with a much wider scope of interactivity).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Flashback is a systems-driven action-adventure-puzzle-platformer. It is a very different creature from Another World and NOT a spiritual sequel. It's more similar to the original Prince of Persia games (but with a much wider scope of interactivity).
I was writing about Abe's Oddysee if you are writing about my response. It has the same element of guiding a partner (but better because it's not just QTEs).

Severian Silk

Another World has a direct sequel called Heart of the Alien and 2 spiritual sequels: Flashback and Heart of Darkness.
Don't forget Fade to Black. It was an early 3D title that came out about the same time as Quake, and I was upset both games didn't run well on my 486.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Dumbfuck J_C, people have been dumbfucked for lesser crimes, but no one shits on one of the greatest classics of all time, ALL TIME.

A user named cat

If you're going to play Flashback, make sure to play the Sega CD version. You get lots of cheesy little cgi cutscenes to detail your actions and some horrible voice acting, it's a joy. Plus CD music. Oh my.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ok, hold on a minute. I gave the game another go at the spot which made my piss boiled. And I managed to progress. And then the game was over.
I mean, The End, credits roll and that's it. This game is 2 hours long? What the flying fuck? :hahano:

You're mad it took you an hour longer than Broken Age part 1?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Meh. J_C is right on a couple things - playing Another World for the first time in 2013, there are definitely a few shitty sequences that weren't really well thought out - but considering all the programming/design was done by one Euro IIRC back when games were in their infancy, I can give that a pass.

The aesthetic is really something else though, very memorable. Also finished the whole game in 2 sittings, where most games today I have difficulty getting myself to complete. Can't say it was a top game for me, but it's short enough that I'd highly recommend it to anyone who can deal with a bit of archaic-ness.

Lemming42

Arcane
It's been a long time since I played it but the only sequence that sticks in my mind as being a total ballache was this shit where there's a pool with an alien on the other side.

The rest of the game is ace though. The trial and error works fine because there's no puzzle/scene that takes more than like 3 tries to figure out and the death animations are usually creative enough to make losing worthwhile.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
That proves my point. 28 minutes. I'm pretty sure the people who reported over 3 hours spent a good deal of that time trying to figure out how to turn on their PCs.

That's 28 minutes for a speedrun. Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That proves my point. 28 minutes. I'm pretty sure the people who reported over 3 hours spent a good deal of that time trying to figure out how to turn on their PCs.
You are looking for the speedrun? Yeah, because that is how games should be played. And you dismiss the other resulst with this bullshit reason (hurr durr, the others must be retarded). I'm pretty sure you are the retarded, so I'm just leave this discussion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom