Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline So apparently Gearbox is making an FPS-MOBA - Battleborn

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
The only thing thing that can revive this game is if they follow the Evolve 2.0 route with a massive update and a f2p model

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
For whatever reason I thought it had some kind of single player or co-op with bot teammates mode But I guess it is mostly a PvP experience. I've heard of people taking 10+ minutes to find a match.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
It does have a single player with co op but there aren't any bots in the single player,you can have bot matches in the multiplayer though

Martius

Liturgist
For whatever reason I thought it had some kind of single player or co-op with bot teammates mode But I guess it is mostly a PvP experience. I've heard of people taking 10+ minutes to find a match.
These are two separate modes. Co-op part is even playable solo, it also kinda scales amount of enemies and some boss mechanics depending on amount of players.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
This looks like it would have flopped pretty hard even without the horrible timing of coming out around the same time as Overwatch.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Can't remember if this was the game they used the Alien CM funds on or whatever that creative accounting debacle was about. The good (well if you like Borderlands) news is it'll prompt 2K to demand work on Borderlands 3 be expedited.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:hero: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-05-yes-battleborn-flopped-but-2k-vows-to-stick-with-it

Yes, Battleborn flopped, but 2K vows to stick with it

Gearbox's hero shooter Battleborn flopped upon its May launch. Its low player numbers on the likes of Steam made that perfectly clear.

But now the boss of publisher 2K has promised to stick with the game in a bid to grow its audience.

Speaking after the release of a financial report, Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick (Take-Two is the parent company of 2K) admitted Battleborn missed its sales targets, despite a relatively positive reception.

"While the game launched to solid reviews, its performance in the market has been below our expectations," he said.

jpg

Image courtesy of YasterUK, via Reddit.

Battleborn will have hurt Take-Two particularly hard because it spent a lot of money marketing the game. I remember seeing a lot of billboards and posters for it on the London Underground, where it was billed as the next game from the creators of Borderlands.

In its financial report, Take-Two said operating expenses were up by $28.8m "due primarily to higher marketing expense for the launches of Battleborn and our upcoming lineup".

Still, there's a commitment to the game.

"We think there remains an opportunity to grow the audience for this unique experience over time," Zelnick said, "and 2K will continue to drive engagement and recurrent consumer spending on the title through add-on content and virtual currency."

So, what's being done, exactly?

In June, Gearbox outlined an extensive DLC plan for Battleborn that involves the release of new heroes and maps. It just released Pendles for 47,500 in-game credits, for example.

Also back in June, Gearbox launched Battleborn's premium currency, Platinum. This lets you buy new skins and taunts.

Balance updates continue, of course, as do events, such as double XP. It's clear Gearbox is keeping current players interested. But can it get more players interested?

Later in the financial call with analysts, Zelnick expanded on the Battleborn situation.

"So with regard to Battleborn, we're being very frank about where we are, because we're a transparent company," he said.

"We're still delivering new content to Battleborn. Audiences love Battleborn. We still have virtual currency coming for Battleborn. We're not counting it out for a minute. We're just telling you where we're at now."

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Whenever Gearbox does anything but Borderlands, it's a shitfest. BL is shit too of course, but at least it's popular shit.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Pretty sure the playerbase is down below 500 even after the Humble Bundle promotion.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Humble Bundle, recent sale and very low price at key seller sites have did wonders for its player numbers.

omv1Q81.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
900 is better than I thought. It was around 200 prior to the Humble sale.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Well, it seems youtubers shilling for your game isn't enough when it is a pile of crap.

ortucis

Prophet
Can't remember if this was the game they used the Alien CM funds on or whatever that creative accounting debacle was about. The good (well if you like Borderlands) news is it'll prompt 2K to demand work on Borderlands 3 be expedited.

It was Borderlands 2.

They created a shitty Aliens game to fund another shitty game. Even indie developers put more effort in their game world and storyline.

ortucis

Prophet
Except Borderlands 2 was AWESOME!

How is it awesome? It's better than the first one. But that isn't saying much.

I am usually OK with generic stories/gameworlds in RPG's but that game takes 'generic' to a new level.

Gerrard

Arcane
Would it actually change anything though? There's tons of shitty free to play games.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
They should just let the game die and accept it was a flop that nobody wants. Time for Borderlands 3.

GrainWetski

Arcane
They should just let the game die and accept it was a flop that nobody wants. Time for Borderlands 3.
They're going to take a stance on these evil borders on our planet and call it Nobordersland 3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom