Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN So how do you really feel about Neverwinter Nights 1?

Which NWN campaigns did you like?

• Neverwinter Nights

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Shadows of Undrentide

Votes: 47 52.2%
  • Hordes of the Underdark

Votes: 65 72.2%
  • Kingmaker (and/or other premium modules)

Votes: 26 28.9%

• Total voters

McPlusle

Savant
I decided to reinstall and try Undrentide. I've tried with two different characters (a half-elf ranger and a human cleric) but damn, this game kinda plays like shit. Maybe it's the fact that you can't control your (tiny) party, or maybe I just don't like D&D 3.0 rules as much as my beloved AD&D2 rules from Baldur's Gate (I love class kits too much; I don't give a fuck how broken they may be), but something about this game just isn't clicking with me at all.

Cael

Arcane
I decided to reinstall and try Undrentide. I've tried with two different characters (a half-elf ranger and a human cleric) but damn, this game kinda plays like shit. Maybe it's the fact that you can't control your (tiny) party, or maybe I just don't like D&D 3.0 rules as much as my beloved AD&D2 rules from Baldur's Gate (I love class kits too much; I don't give a fuck how broken they may be), but something about this game just isn't clicking with me at all.
Prestige classes are the 3.x equivalents of class kits.

The biggest problem with NWN is the movement speed. Without haste on, you move painfully slowly getting from A to B.

Beastro

Arcane
Played it 2006 and I only remember because I was going through hell at the time and it was the only thing I really had to play. Forced myself through the OC and gave up on the rest because I couldn't stand anymore.

Things were shit, but the game didn't help how numb I felt at the time given what it's like.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
The game was good enough when it came to playing in hardcore, permadeath, persistent world servers that had great scripting and live DMs. As for the single player, shit-tier campaigns, I played through them all, but only Hordes was modestly satisfying. The OC and SoU campaigns felt like they were written by retadred, 13 year-old, rookie DMs.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

WTF?
D&D 3.0 rules shit all over ancient, illogical rules of AD&D 2nd ed. Plus they make character development actually interesting and involved. Even give choices and stuff to do to warrior classes. You can spend months just building interesting and potentially OP multiclass characters. Prestige classes are >>> class kits IMO. Excellent ruleset is one of the main perks of NWN.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The sheer amount of stupid hours gamers played of Neverwinter nights in the 2000s because they were the only RPGs being released at all is pretty sad because they were actually just garbage as games.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
NWN OC was the worst single-player RPG I have ever managed to finish

Same here. Only reason I finished it was my girlfriend back then, she didn't liked Morrowind and forced me to finish NWN OC because she liked it more...
Expansion packs was good enough while the modules really got my attention at last.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Why do people hate the OC? Is it because the had some kind of hyped expectations or something? Rather play it than Diversity age inquisition or andromeda.

Cael

Arcane
Why do people hate the OC? Is it because the had some kind of hyped expectations or something? Rather play it than Diversity age inquisition or andromeda.
The problem with the OC is that everything is far away. Most of the crap is just filler and boring filler at that, where nothing happens but watching your toon go stomp...stomp...stomp... which leads to the second problem: the toon moves too bloody slowly. That makes it long and tedious for no reason. The sheer number of boxes and crates of RANDOMISED loot doesn't help. It is a game design problem, and the expansions and NWN2 learnt that lesson in that the toon moved faster and the areas of interest are less far apart. Which is a good thing since the morons in charge of NWN2 then removed perma-Haste items, which were the one thing making NWN bearable.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The sheer amount of stupid hours gamers played of Neverwinter nights in the 2000s because they were the only RPGs being released at all is pretty sad because they were actually just garbage as games.

Troika was chugging along but most people weren't interested. They loved this crap for some reason.

Hack and slash drudgery with a boring story. Diablo with static maps and D&D mechanics.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The problem with the OC is that everything is far away. Most of the crap is just filler and boring filler at that, where nothing happens but watching your toon go stomp...stomp...stomp... which leads to the second problem: the toon moves too bloody slowly. That makes it long and tedious for no reason. The sheer number of boxes and crates of RANDOMISED loot doesn't help. It is a game design problem, and the expansions and NWN2 learnt that lesson in that the toon moved faster and the areas of interest are less far apart. Which is a good thing since the morons in charge of NWN2 then removed perma-Haste items, which were the one thing making NWN bearable.
Well all the rpgs have trash mobs and i never felt being too slow. Now in BG games you walk far too slow.
Roguey
never found the story to be boring for the time that it came out,now when you look back at it,it could look like cliche but when it came out it was not. From what i read the game felt more as a disappointment than a bad game. I do get the shitty polygon graphics,the level design and the mercenary party mechanic hate. Still i think that it is decent game for what it is.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey never found the story to be boring for the time that it came out,now when you look back at it,it could look like cliche but when it came out it was not.
:hmmm:

It was a disappointment even compared to Baldur's Gate's Highlander-rip-off schlock.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
NWN was a game whose single player was extremely crippled by the focus on multiplayer.

Great implementation of D&D rulesets, but terrible actual gameplay.

Only one character, hirelings can't be controlled; makes single player combat boring.
Combat is slow as fuck, one of the slowest RtwP combats I've seen; it probably makes sense for multiplayer so every character can have time to select his actions, but it's total shit for single player.
Resting is slow as fuck too, you need to watch some resting bar slowly fill rather than just clicking and waking up after you're rested like in Baldur's Gate. Again, I see how it makes sense in multiplayer but it's a terrible waste of time in singleplayer.

The only good thing about NWN are the modules that focus less on combat but on other ways of playing a character, like Dance With Rogues. And the multiplayer I guess but I never played it.

As a singleplayer game it's just bad and could be improved tenfold so easily (party control, faster combat, instant resting, just generally less wasting of the player's time).

Cael

Arcane
Well all the rpgs have trash mobs and i never felt being too slow. Now in BG games you walk far too slow.
Roguey never found the story to be boring for the time that it came out,now when you look back at it,it could look like cliche but when it came out it was not. From what i read the game felt more as a disappointment than a bad game. I do get the shitty polygon graphics,the level design and the mercenary party mechanic hate. Still i think that it is decent game for what it is.
Not the trash mobs. NWN had few, if any, trash mobs in the randomly respawning definition of trash mobs. Just the very act of WALKING from place to place was painful as hell, with wide open spaces with NOTHING in it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So people don't like the retarded mechanics not the game per se.I take it that i like the game because i am a fucking story fag. It was pretty nice adventure in my book and the companions are very well written. My biggest regret is that i can't fuck Aribeth. Honestly i would have gone for a "mounting Neverwinter's head on pike and running away with the woman" option than letting her get killed. Ohhh we could have made a nice Luskan pirate team.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Not to worry, Bioware caters to your every romantic desire. Just play HotU and fuck her in the afterlife.
Did it :). But it was really hard choice,you could fuck drow instead. Bioware can't cater to my sexual desire,i want a fucking harem with a lot of chicks in it.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Only one character, hirelings can't be controlled; makes single player combat boring.

Have you read this? As a result, Beamdog put it on their Trello board for consideration in their EE. However, I doubt they would employ it even if their forum-goers weren't tasteless scrubs and voted for it, en masse.

Resting is slow as fuck too

You can mod that out ("mods'll fix it")

The only good thing about NWN are the modules that focus less on combat

Swordflight is combat heavy and manages to be great in that respect. Rogueknight 333 is gifted, though.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

FFS, just play Hoards of the Underdark and come back to everything else if you like it. You asked what was the best on your list. The answer is HotU, so don't then fucking load up Shadows, LMAO.

d1nolore

Savant
People who complain about lack of henchmen control didn't like NWN regardless, as you can see :D

The OC was dumbed down a bit because it was multiplayer compatible. As opposed to BG2 were you would stand around and miss the story in multiplayer.

Movement was too slow? You had a recall stone which would take you back and forth to the temple as you wished. HotU you easily had haste.

The online worlds were the best party of NWN, nothing beats fighting a dragon with a party of 6+ players.. No pause, no reloading, if you die you lose levels, though if a cleric raises you you lose less. While at the same time 40 other players are going about their own business. DM's possessing monsters/NPCs to spice up quests, or even creating a whole quest in game and running it live for players. You guys missed out. :incline:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I liked them all.

Doesn't really say that much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom