Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I just bought Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum off Steam

Cynic

Arcane
Okay so here's the story, I never played NWN or it's sequel. Pretty much after IWD, I got more into consoles because, well they were cheaper, and I am a cheap ass. Win win really.

So I always heard about this game, but never had a PC that would have been powerful enough to run it well enough (performance is very important to me, I can't play low frame rates it just fucks the experience up for me totally).

UNTIL NOW....

So I bought NWN2, installed it and after tweaking the controls a bit, maxing all the settings and downloading a fan made textures pack, this game is feeling pretty fucking sweet. Liquid smooth frame rate and the game actually looks really fantastic.

I'm not a huge fan of the "hotspots" style, simply because the towns themselves so far are a bit small, but I like the art direction and the spell effects are really cool. Characters are ass as well, that fucking Tiefling is so annoying, and the Dwarf...well he ain't no Korgan. Do the companions get any better?

Also is there some guide on the crafting somewhere? Not sure exactly how it works, so you get recipe books, collect crafting elements and then molds and you can make new stuff? How do you do special enchantments?

I'm playing on Hard with a Neutral Evil Human Wizard. Pretty easy so far, I only died once when storming the bandits hideout. But the encounters are pretty fun to smash through. I got this fire mace thing that is like some sort of god weapon that just explodes everything it touches into bursts of flame. Was wondering if it was broken or meant to do that? But all in all, the game is really fun. It's soothing the horrible burning pain which I felt from playing DA2 at least...

Does the original (NWN) run with the same/similar engine? Does it look more dated or is there some way to force it to use the updated NWN2 engine?

Multi-headed Cow

What is this fan made textures pack?

And if you're soothing the burning pain of DA2 with NWN2 you've got problems. r00fles!

deuxhero

Arcane
Oh, hey someone who has bought Platinum off Steam!

Tell me. Does the Steam Platinum take 2 hours to patch like the boxed gold because some idiot required the patches be applied one at a time?

Skip the OC and head to Mask of The Betrayer and then fan made campaigns, you aren't missing anything of value. The combat starts falling into insane numbers of easily defeated enemies that pose no risk to you but take FOREVER, and the dialog is still stupid. The two companions you are talking about are the least annoying.

Cynic

Arcane
Multi-headed Cow said:
What is this fan made textures pack?

And if you're soothing the burning pain of DA2 with NWN2 you've got problems. r00fles!

I used this one

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... tail&id=28

pretty good. Makes the ground look much nicer.

Yeah look, I think the fighting of NWN2 is not bad but it's not great either. At least it's not as bs as DA2, more bs like DA:O, but it has a lot more spells to choose from at least.

Cynic

Arcane
Are the patches not included? I would have just thought they were included in this version since it's the most up to date release.

I have heard many say skip the OC, but I'm finding it enjoyable enough at the moment to keep with it. It has that cheesey corny old school D&D vibe to it that I hate, but is so nostalgic.

Seriously, why the hell couldn't they have ever made a good game using a different setting other than the Forgotten Realms?! D&D has so many!

I always wanted a good Greyhawk game. A proper Ravenloft setting could be awesomely done.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
I did the same thing Cynic. I think it was on sale a little while ago.

deuxhero said:
Oh, hey someone who has bought Platinum off Steam!

Tell me. Does the Steam Platinum take 2 hours to patch like the boxed gold because some idiot required the patches be applied one at a time?

No. After I downloaded it, I was playing in minutes.

I'm actually enjoying the OC. I just started the stronghold stuff, which is really fun. The court trial is also really cool, and very well done. The camera gets a lot of complaints, but if you set it on 'adventure mode', I think it's fine. The default is strategy mode, which is really awkward for me. The game picks up A LOT after you get to Neverwinter. If you tried it and quit because of either bugs that have been fixed or due to the shitty intro, I'd say it's worth trying again.

Some of the voice acting is absolutely superb (Khelgar, Neeskha, Sand), and most of it is passable. The game looks great and is very stable on my machine.

Real-time-with-pause combat kinda sucks, but at least it's fast. I'm playing a Warlock and he's pretty shitty, but my companions chew through every encounter like a fucking chainsaw. It's not good, but at least it's not full of millions of encounters and a ton of HP bloat ala Dragon Age. Turning on hardcore D&D rules improves it by a little bit because you can't just spam AOE spells right on top of your party until the enemies die.

Yeah, it's cliche and nothing special, but I think the OC is pretty good once it gets going.

It has that cheesey corny old school D&D vibe to it that I hate, but is so nostalgic.
Well put, I'd agree except I dig the old school D&D vibe. It's definitely got that old school sense of adventure that seems to be missing from a lot of recent games.

Cynic

Arcane
Yeah I think the main thing I am liking about it is that the adventuring aspect is really refreshing after "MOAR DARK FANTASY VISCERAL BLOOD BEWBS BLOOD BUTTON AWESOME SEXY I WANT TO BE A DERP BLOOD AGE"

Ah, sigh, they've really lost the plot. I think this is actually the first (bar PS:T) Obsidian game I am playing, and I am an instant fan. It's a shame about their reputation for shipping with so many bugs, because underneath that, they are actually very sold devs. Bioware does have a certain charm about their games, but Obsidian has their own too, it's kind of a more intricate polish and nuanced plot style (maybe not in this OC), which I dig.

So yeah I haven't even gotten to Neverwinter yet so that makes me glad. Can I get rid of Neeshka though? Fark she is annoying!

Xi

Arcane
Skip the original game and move on to MotB if you want something story driven or play Storm of Zehir if you want an open world(non-linear) experience. Personally, I like SOZ the best. The freedom with that ruleset just feels awesome! I could never stand the OC for NWN2. But hey? Some people liked it.

:salute:

LordDenton

Augur
The OC and MotB are great.

Anyone who tells you to skip the OC is a braindead retard. You will never fully appreciate MotB if you don't play the OC, as MotB is a direct continuation of the OC.

Cynic

Arcane
LordDenton said:
MotB is a direct continuation of the OC.

Ah yeah I thought that it might be, so I wouldn't want to skip it. How long is it roughly? I'm still in Act I...

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Cynic said:
So yeah I haven't even gotten to Neverwinter yet so that makes me glad. Can I get rid of Neeshka though? Fark she is annoying!

Yeah, you really don't need a rogue that much in this game. You might miss out on a small bit of loot, but that's about it. My warlock has crazy saving throws so I just walk over traps haphazardly because they never do anything when I set them off.

Cynic

Arcane
Oh riiight, yeah but I won't want to miss out on loot...can Knock solve that problem? What's the party limit and can I kill Neeshka at all?

Xi

Arcane
LordDenton said:
The OC and MotB are great.

Anyone who tells you to skip the OC is a braindead retard. You will never fully appreciate MotB if you don't play the OC, as MotB is a direct continuation of the OC.

Sorry that my own tastes are of a higher quality than your own. Go ahead and mock those who disagree though! It will make your own ignorance that much easier to live with. I thought the OC for NWN2 was shit. :smug:

LordDenton

Augur
Cynic said:
LordDenton said:
MotB is a direct continuation of the OC.

Ah yeah I thought that it might be, so I wouldn't want to skip it. How long is it roughly? I'm still in Act I...
The OC took me about 35-40 hours. MotB, on the other hand, about 20-25.

Cynic

Arcane
So since I missed NWN as well, I am looking on YouTube and this also looks kind of sweet...but it's mainly focused as an online multiplayer/co-op game is that right? Also it's not on Steam, but its on GOG...some people have issues running it on Win7?

I have to say, when I got a torch in this game, I just...I just thought it was so fucking awesome.

THAT was "badass" to me. What an awesome feeling to hold up a torch in a dimly lit, swampy, unknown environment, to have the light flicker and reflect off the dead trees and murky water. Just looked so cool, I took 50 screen shots and they are fap worthy.

Such a simple thing, but so cool.

LordDenton

Augur
Cynic said:
So since I missed NWN as well, I am looking on YouTube and this also looks kind of sweet...but it's mainly focused as an online multiplayer/co-op game is that right? Also it's not on Steam, but its on GOG...some people have issues running it on Win7?
NWN 1 works fine on Windows 7. I played HotU a few months ago with no issues. NWN 1 OC has very little story though (feels more like an action-RPG). NWN2, is a more "proper" RPG (and a much better game).

Xi

Arcane
This will probably come in handy:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... tail&id=95

In game D&D Player's Handbook.

1172672734_fullres.jpg

Cynic

Arcane
LordDenton said:
Cynic said:
NWN 1 works fine on Windows 7. I played HotU a few months ago with no issues. NWN 1 OC has very little story though (feels more like an action-RPG). NWN2, is a more "proper" RPG (and a much better game).

Ah right, so what about the NWN expansions, do they have more of a story? It's only $10 geez, so cheap. Even if I just make a character and run around a bit it's probably worth it. I've heard the mods/expansions for NWN are wicked, is this true?

You can play it multiplayer, but the game stands on it's own as a single player game.

As for the OC... well it made me appreciate MotB more, so there's that.

Playing through the OC I felt, "Meh, this is all right I guess. Could be worse."

Then I got into MotB and thought, "Man... fuck the OC."

Still, it's worth playing through the OC just once. Kind of like eating your dinner before having desert.

Makes the desert more enjoyable in the end.

LordDenton

Augur
Cynic said:
LordDenton said:
Cynic said:

Ah right, so what about the NWN expansions, do they have more of a story? It's only $10 geez, so cheap. Even if I just make a character and run around a bit it's probably worth it. I've heard the mods/expansions for NWN are wicked, is this true?
Hordes of the Underdark is really really good. Absolutely loved it. Great story and portrayal of the Underdark.

Shadows of Undrentide, on the other hand, is meh. Boring non-stop combat. You might enjoy it if you liked the OC I guess.

Cynic

Arcane
Okay cool so I might get it for $10 and then just play the HotU because I rate the Underdark anyway. How long was it for you?

Xi

Arcane
Cynic said:
Haha yeah okay I will get this since I know jack shit about anything beyond 2nd Edition. Does this talk about crafting etc.,?

Just checked. It gives a better explanation for how it can be done, but it's still somewhat vague in terms of how you do it in game. Essentially, you click the recipe books(located in your main character's bags) and select an item while standing next to the proper crafting station. The recipes will tell you what items you need to have in your bags. Sometimes those mundane, worthless looking items can come in handy. Don't sell them all off if you plan to craft. ;P

It's most beneficial for plotting out how you will develop your character. Rather than seeing the feat/skill/level screen briefly every time you level, you can plan ahead using the handbook. If anything, it will help you to make sense of the ruleset. In comparison to other, modern RPGs 3.5 has quite a bit more depth than most people are used to. It can be overwhelming but fun for a person with the right level of intellect and some motivation. The more you know, the more interesting it gets(as with all things that aren't extremely shallow).

:thumbsup:

Cynic

Arcane
Xi said:
Cynic said:
Haha yeah okay I will get this since I know jack shit about anything beyond 2nd Edition. Does this talk about crafting etc.,?

Just checked. It gives a better explanation for how it can be done, but it's still somewhat vague in terms of how you do it in game. Essentially, you click the recipe books(located in your main character's bags) and select an item while standing next to the proper crafting station. The recipes will tell you what items you need to have in your bags. Sometimes those mundane, worthless looking items can come in handy. Don't sell them all off if you plan to craft. ;P

Ah okay cool, yeah I am not selling shit other than useless 2H swords and junk. All stones and shiny things I am keeping.

Hopefully I can make some kind of lighting infused dagger from the 9th stage of hell soon...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom