Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I just bought Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum off Steam

Annonchinil

Scholar
I don't think I ever really enjoyed crafting in a game.

Cynic

Arcane
Crafting was good in Vagrant Story, it was really simple and limited to just armour and weapons, but being able to name your new gear whatever you wanted and coming up with just the right equipment for the right encounters was fun. You actually had to do it to really win a lot of the harder fights in the game. I haven't tried it out in NWN2 yet and I can't say that I really will considering that the game is already so damn easy that any better items would just remove the small amount of fun left in the battles at this point.

Also, I'm pretty sure most of the loot I've picked up from just chests and things has more interesting abilities than anything I can craft so far.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Cynic said:
Jaesun said:
You are using Tony K's Companion and Monster AI 2.2 right?

Yeah I'm using it. (I got this file compmonai2.2.zip, I looked inside and it seems it contains the Monster AI as well?)

How come your posts are now automatically hidden to me now...weird.

edit: lol I must have accidentally removed you from my BROLIST

Geee, thanks alot! ;) Well I am glad I'm back on your BRO list.

I just wanted to make sure you are using it, because they act MUCH smarter with Tony K's AI (than the default AI). When/If you make it to SoZ, the AI scripts in that ACTUALLY check what your difficulty setting is first, and then act accordingly. It's kind of neat.

Glad you have stuck it out this far, it get's much better. I really love The G******* back-story... hope you like it too once you find out about it...

Cynic

Arcane
Yeah it's fun and although the lack of a good thief companion makes me rage I have dealt with it. I'm genuinely interested in where the plot will go, lots of bad guys at the moment, not sure how they are connected but hopefully it all comes together in the end. I'll post some shots from my game in a bit.

Cynic

Arcane
Fucking halflings tried to eat me! Well I murdered them good.

Cynic

Arcane
They did that scene so well in the movie, where golem just loses it and goes back to being insane. I think it's my favourite scene in the entire film trilogy. Fucking brilliant how they did him.

How good did the Duskwood feel? The atmosphere of that place was so awesome, it needed to be bigger!

Captain Shrek

Cynic said:
Fucking halflings tried to eat me! Well I murdered them good.

I think you know, they are like Gnomes or something...

Cynic

Arcane
Gnomes, halflings, hobbitses...whatever they were, they're dead now! Also, just got my keep and turned Khelgar into a monk. That was fun. Just a question about the keep, is there some way you can fuck it up really badly? I kind of spent all the money already and not on the fortifications...I thought, build it as a money making machine first then fix the walls...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You will have fucking shitloads of gold. Don't worry. Just keep building it up/improving your forces as you can afford.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Just keep selling the longsword +17s you find casually laying around everywhere and money won't be an issue.

I'm also at the keep now, and it's pretty cool. I think I'm going to keep Khelgar as a fighter because he's my tank and I dislike monks because I don't think they fit in with D&D.

Yeah it really is a cakewalk in terms of difficulty.

It's mostly because all you have to do to rest is take a knee for a few seconds, and then you can completely refresh your memorized spells. 3.5 was already the caster's edition without giving mages and clerics infinite spells.

Crafting was good in Vagrant Story

:bro:

Cynic

Arcane
Yeah I guess the resting makes it way too easy, they should have included some kind of danger for resting, or the need to have camping kits to limit the amount you can rest like in other games.

I'm sure he can still tank as a monk, with Casavir, Shandra, and my own fighter/mage/eldritch there are too many strong fighting options already.

I kind of see what you're saying about them not fitting in D&D but to me, neither do all these crazy Prestige Classes either. Still fun tho.

Is that a punch in the face or a fist pound, not sure about that yet haha, I loved Vagrant Story. Got it from the PSN again as soon as it got released and played through the whole game. Was awesome.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Cynic said:
Is that a punch in the face or a fist pound, not sure about that yet haha, I loved Vagrant Story. Got it from the PSN again as soon as it got released and played through the whole game. Was awesome.

It's a brofist for liking Vagrant Story.

I'm in the middle of replaying it.

Cynic

Arcane
yes man, wicked game. Story is great too. Matsuno FTW. It's too bad he went insane during the FFXII development, he's one of the best game designers imo. Maybe with the success of Tactics Ogre he will be able to create another game for them. A Vagrant Story remake, sequel or spiritual successor really needs to happen, but they'd probably fuck it up like Parasite Eve.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Cynic said:
It's too bad he went insane during the FFXII development

If that's true, I can't really blame him. FFXII was so close to being awesome, but Square-Enix (from what I've heard) insisted on making Meg Ryan the main character. I can see how that would piss somebody off.

a budda

Arbiter
20 Eyes said:
Cynic said:
It's too bad he went insane during the FFXII development

If that's true, I can't really blame him. FFXII was so close to being awesome, but Square-Enix (from what I've heard) insisted on making Meg Ryan the main character. I can see how that would piss somebody off.
nooo, I still haven't seen her ass

Cynic

Arcane
He had to quit as the lead due to a severe breakdown which he suffered. Actually, you're right, Basch was initially supposed to be the main character, and Vaan and Penelo were not written in until later. I still love FFXII though, his vision is still present there. I recently played the game through again actually. I did 3 things which made the game incredibly fun. First, I used a self enforced class system, second, I used a level cap as soon as I could poach and equip fireflies (end game level was 30) and third, I focused on completing the actual main plot and not the hunts.

The class system really makes this a very different game. My classes were self created and a bit loose, but they were a lot of fun and forced me to use every character equally. They were a little like this:

Vaan - thief/ninja (steal, poach, knives, ninja swords)
Basch - knight (hammers/axes/swords/greatswords, all shields, all heavy no spells, only physical powerhouse)
Ashe - paladin (swords, all shields, all white magic + lv 1 green magic + most physical skills)
Penelo - cleric (maces, all shields, mystic armour, all white and green magic + charge)
Fran - black mage/archer (bows, mystic armour, all arcane and black magic + charge)
Balthier - chemist/time mage (all potion/phoenix lores, pheasant netsuke, time magic, only guns)

The hunts are great fun, but they are very time consuming and if you try to do them all at the same time as the plot, you will forget what is going on and not care about the story.

Actually when I first played it I had no idea what the story was because I was concentrating on the hunts so much. But in fact, the story is quite excellent. It's probably one of the most cohesive well thought out plots in all FF games imho. It's quite mature and to be honest, you don't know who to really think of as bad until the very end. Of course, Vayne and Cid are presented as being completely evil, but they want to end the Occurians' control over humanity, is that so bad? And Ashe herself is a conflicted character who is quite certain for a lot of the story that she will use the nethicite for vengeance before anything else.

I really recommend giving it another go following the rules I did. It changed from being a good FF for me to my favourite, even rivaling VI. My main gripe with it is still the lack of a Bangaa or Garif companion.

Cynic

Arcane
Hmm, something weird is happening. Elanee's AI seems to be permanently turned off, she just stands their during battle, doing nothing. She won't follow me or do anything. Is it possible that I lost so much influence with her that she just is useless now? Or is this a "feature"?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, I think I've encountered that bug. Just broadcast an "attack nearest" order and that should get her going again. If that doesn't work, I don't know, restart the game.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Pretty cool action shot I have. The dude with the comically huge axe is my barbarian. It does not really have spoilers in it, but it is toward the end of Act 1 just in case someone wants to know:

http://i.imgur.com/x5GJE.jpg

Cynic

Arcane
Wicked shot man is that in the middle of call lighting? That spell looks awesome, the lightning storm one looks great too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom