Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I just bought Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum off Steam

sser

Arcane
Developer
It may have been the lightning storm because the Druid has to be pretty close for the call lightning to hit. Dunno. Druid and Sorcerer basically just wreck everything in sight. Barbarian gets buffed up and basically crashes enemy mage parties while soaking up damage from most sources. Archer guy didn't do dick that fight. Or any other fight, for that matter. I may keep him around, though, because the game is already pretty easy as is with the Druid/Sorc/Barb combo and I like having an archer around for aesthetic reasons.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I am Barb/Bard so far. Like 8/2 maybe. Bard was totally for role playing purposes. I had considered putting plenty into Bard but I did not plan that from the start. Charisma stat is way too low (my Barb handles diplomacy with grunting intimidation) and I don't want to cripple the character too harshly. I may end up putting most of my points into something like Ranger, I just don't know yet. My Barbarian is not at all a powerbuild but a reflection of what I imagined a Barbarian to be in a "fantasy world." His actual model shape is tall and huge, so he is imposing, and he's ugly as fuck; put the "power hungry" voice on him which is perfect. The game fails to incorporate a Barbarian style into the storyline a lot of the time, but I just let my imagination do its thing which is why I play most RPG's anyway.

Cynic

Arcane
sser said:
I am Barb/Bard so far. Like 8/2 maybe. Bard was totally for role playing purposes. I had considered putting plenty into Bard but I did not plan that from the start. Charisma stat is way too low (my Barb handles diplomacy with grunting intimidation) and I don't want to cripple the character too harshly. I may end up putting most of my points into something like Ranger, I just don't know yet. My Barbarian is not at all a powerbuild but a reflection of what I imagined a Barbarian to be in a "fantasy world." His actual model shape is tall and huge, so he is imposing, and he's ugly as fuck; put the "power hungry" voice on him which is perfect. The game fails to incorporate a Barbarian style into the storyline a lot of the time, but I just let my imagination do its thing which is why I play most RPG's anyway.

:salute:

Gord

Arcane
With all the different flavor classes in NVN2, the game probably still wouldn't be out had they included specific rpg elements for every class.

Of course, they could have added something like the stronghold quests in BG2, which have been at least specific to the base classes (figther, thief, mage) and a few more (bard, was there something for clerics?)

BTW.:
There's a nice mod out on the NWN vault thats strongly inspired by the Conan books.
It's nicely done, you might want to check this out for the barbarian feeling.

Cynic

Arcane
Can't wait to get into the mods after finishing this and MoTB. I'll also give SoZ a go, but...I heard it was "just Sozzy"

R00fles!

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
SOZ is awesome, don't listen to the haters.

Do try MOW. It's cheap, and it's one of the best city CRPG's ever made. Low key plot (no saving the world, or even the city really), interesting NPC's, an influence system that actually matters, very clever quest design, and a great evil ending. It was different enough from MotB and SOZ to hold my attention even though I was sick and tired of the engine by this point.

Cynic

Arcane

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'm amused at how often I am able to enter a situation, lose influence with multiple party members, and gain nothing from it. I swear anytime there's an incident I'm just like -1 -1 -1 -1 the whole way through. Most recent one was some painter dude. I managed to upset literally every single person in the party on that one. Gnomey little ratfuck.

Cynic

Arcane
Hahaha yeah, is there actually somewhere you can view your current influence with a party member? I guess my influence with Khelgar was good enough to turn him into a monk. Since I am evil and the only real evil characters so far are Bishop and Qara (kind of) I pretty much lose influence with everyone. Shandra & Elanee especially hate me, but I hate them so that's fine by me.

Cynic

Arcane
Hey was wondering about something, I have way too much kewl lewt now. If I put it in some random place in the keep like a lockbox or the bookshelf, will it stay there forever or will it disappear suddenly causing me to :x

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It should stay there forever. Or at least until the end of act 3.

Gerrard

Arcane
You don't really need to, if you rebuild your private quarters in the keep you'll find a bag of holding in a cabinet there.

Cynic

Arcane
I rebuilt them, I didn't get the bag though, I'll check it out. I cheated a bag of holding ages ago, bit of a hoarder in these games, I been selling junk but keeping too many useless scrolls and low level magical stuff. I guess I better start selling them. I don't want to sell any of the special stuff though, what's the point of being an evil tyrant if you can't have an enormous, blood-soaked treasure pile to sleep on each night?

Cynic

Arcane
Okay just to let you know, I'm still playing this game and I'm into Act III now. I like it even better. I think the pacing and set up of Act I really could have put a lot of people off. There were a lot of quests and activities that really didn't need to be as long as they were, and got quite boring. I can't say the same for Act II & III they've been pretty awesome so far.

I love that I've had some moderately challenging fights in this Act. I'm going to go into spoiler territory now...

One thing I was wondering, was...why the fuck does Jerro waste Westharbor? I mean...that made no sense. Interestingly, I found that the original scene was that he did not destroy the place but it was changed later...I think him destroying it was kind of stupid really, a cheap trick to draw the twist out longer

I was happy that Shandra died, I hated her anyway, and being forced to take her along all the time really messed my party choices for the whole time she was around. Now that she's gone I can have more fun.

Have to say, there have been a few epic fights in Act III already. The Lizardman shaman was challenging, I actually DIED a few times! And the red dragon, well I just went right in and tried to kill her. I died a few times but eventually won. Was tough though, and very satisfying to win. Here's hoping there's more fights like this.

The fire giant mountain is probably one of my favourite levels so far. Was epic, I have a lot of shots of it that I will post soon.

Anyway, it's funny how Act III of this game was basically CARBON COPIED by Dragon Age. I found that quite hilarious.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You're almost done. Act 3 is pretty short, you don't do much more than manage the keep.

As for your other points,
Jerro wastes West Harbor simply in passing to make finding the shard easier, similar to how he has no qualms about killing nobles to try and find other shard. You can confront him about that and even convince him to admit that maybe he was wrong if you press him hard enough.

Really, from his perspective, the LoS is about to wipe out the village anyway, so it won't even be a big deal if he does.

Make sure you finish everything before starting the siege, because you won't be able to access the world map after that.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Can't say I share your love of act 2 and 3 (thought they were as mediocre as 1) but eh, if you're enjoying it so much chances are you'll absolutely fall in love with the expansions.

And why did Shandra mess up your party setup? You get an extra NPC slot when she joins you, so even though she locks that slot constantly it doesn't affect your previous party setup in any way.

Coyote

Arcane
Cynic said:
Crafting was good in Vagrant Story, it was really simple and limited to just armour and weapons, but being able to name your new gear whatever you wanted and coming up with just the right equipment for the right encounters was fun. You actually had to do it to really win a lot of the harder fights in the game.

Heh... actually, the first time I played the game, I won every fight major pretty much the same way: first figure out the length of time between enemy attacks while buffing and doing some minor attacks, then chain as many attacks as I could 2-3 times, quickly down 1-2 of those risk-reducing items before the boss one-shotted me because my risk was at 100, take a hit, heal, and repeat. I tried crafting but only rarely seemed to be able to make anything better than what I was equipped with, and even when I did I still usually ended up doing 1 damage on that first hit. (I was excellent at chaining with the dagger, fortunately, and even if you start with 1 damage, a 20-hit chain will amount to 210 damage.)

Incidentally, there's some good music in that game.

On topic, this thread inspired me to reinstall Neverwinter Nights 2 for an OC/MotB runthrough about a week ago. I installed them, downloaded the patch, got TonyK's AI and some mod that fixed spells, rolled up a character, and started the game... only to hear "The village is under attack! West Harbor is under attack!", quit, and not touch the game since. :?

Cynic said:
Okay just to let you know, I'm still playing this game and I'm into Act III now. I like it even better. I think the pacing and set up of Act I really could have put a lot of people off. There were a lot of quests and activities that really didn't need to be as long as they were, and got quite boring. I can't say the same for Act II & III they've been pretty awesome so far.

I think the problem is pretty much this.

I've finished the OC once, gotten past the orc caves twice, and gotten to Neverwinter 4 or 5 times out of what probably amounts to 10-12 characters by now. I swear, there is just something about the first act of the OC that kills any desire I have to play the game, and it only gets worse with each attempt since I've sat through the first part of the game so many times now. Is there any way to skip to chapter 2 but still define your character's decisions, get the loot, etc.? I don't want to download a savegame because I'd like to be able to design my character and have control over the decisions s/he makes in the first act.

Xor

Arcane
Not really. There are hundreds of global variables you'd have to configure and probably just as many local ones. The game wasn't designed to be played out of order.

Coyote

Arcane
Damn. I kind of figured as much since if it could be done, it most likely would be easy to find an editor/mod that lets you do it, but a man can dream. (Also, I was hoping that there might be some workaround like a way to switch out the main character for another one if you play multiplayer or something.)

All right, guess I'll just have to suffer through the first act, then. At least I'll be playing it on a new computer, so it should look prettier than my previous attempts. Plus, I've only used TonyK's AI in the last three, none of which have gone very far, so the combat may end up being less tedious than I remember.

Cynic

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Can't say I share your love of act 2 and 3 (thought they were as mediocre as 1) but eh, if you're enjoying it so much chances are you'll absolutely fall in love with the expansions.

And why did Shandra mess up your party setup? You get an extra NPC slot when she joins you, so even though she locks that slot constantly it doesn't affect your previous party setup in any way.

The story mainly gets driven forward at the end of Act I and then through II & III. The first act is a very long, drawn out introduction that contained 2 very annoying parts, namely the orc caves and the quests for the thieves (I am evil!). They just dragged on for AGES without progressing the plot at all. They should have been half the length.

Shandra messed it up because she was a fighter, and I didn't want her to be a fighter. I thought when you got her it was going to be something cool like let a specific character train her, then she would be whatever class you wanted but
since she dies anyway that would actually have been more annoying because I would have had a replacement for stupid fucking Neeshka, and then lost her...Maybe it wouldn't have bothered me so much if my party wasn't already so crazily OP'd

I like the story for it's quaint D&Dness but I have to say

I didn't buy Jerro's murderous activities. It seemed out of character for someone who would care that he killed his daughter. Were the nobles somehow involved in the original calling forth of the King Of Shadows? Is that why he killed them? Or was it just because he wanted to locate the Shard? If so then their murders were a bit over the top for his character, and the wasting of West Harbor was unnecessary. It just seemed like they were trying too hard to maintain the "mystery" about the dude with the magical face tattoos

All in all the game has been really enjoyable for me. I'm pretty hyped for the expansions now, how long is MotB?

Cynic

Arcane
Coyote said:
Cynic said:
Crafting was good in Vagrant Story, it was really simple and limited to just armour and weapons, but being able to name your new gear whatever you wanted and coming up with just the right equipment for the right encounters was fun. You actually had to do it to really win a lot of the harder fights in the game.

Heh... actually, the first time I played the game, I won every fight major pretty much the same way: first figure out the length of time between enemy attacks while buffing and doing some minor attacks, then chain as many attacks as I could 2-3 times, quickly down 1-2 of those risk-reducing items before the boss one-shotted me because my risk was at 100, take a hit, heal, and repeat. I tried crafting but only rarely seemed to be able to make anything better than what I was equipped with, and even when I did I still usually ended up doing 1 damage on that first hit. (I was excellent at chaining with the dagger, fortunately, and even if you start with 1 damage, a 20-hit chain will amount to 210 damage.)

Incidentally, there's some good music in that game.

On topic, this thread inspired me to reinstall Neverwinter Nights 2 for an OC/MotB runthrough about a week ago. I installed them, downloaded the patch, got TonyK's AI and some mod that fixed spells, rolled up a character, and started the game... only to hear "The village is under attack! West Harbor is under attack!", quit, and not touch the game since. :?

Cynic said:

I think the problem is pretty much this.

I've finished the OC once, gotten past the orc caves twice, and gotten to Neverwinter 4 or 5 times out of what probably amounts to 10-12 characters by now. I swear, there is just something about the first act of the OC that kills any desire I have to play the game, and it only gets worse with each attempt since I've sat through the first part of the game so many times now. Is there any way to skip to chapter 2 but still define your character's decisions, get the loot, etc.? I don't want to download a savegame because I'd like to be able to design my character and have control over the decisions s/he makes in the first act.

Wow, you played VS with an annoying handicap then, you must be a very patient person. I could do a lot of chains with almost every weapon, but it was more effective to build a powerful weapon then do bursts of 5-10 hit chains. Some bosses were really fun in that game, tne Djinns were great to fight. Yes the music is fantastic, of course it is. It's the same guy that Matsuno always uses (also did FFT and FFXII). Matsuno needs to make a new game soon...I'm HOPING that Tactics Ogre PSP has done well enough for them to see that a new, true FFT sequel is worth it, and that Matsuno should be allowed to lead design a new Vagrant Story as well. I could go on about him & how I love his games for ages but I will stop now.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I want to play through with this Gnome Bard I made who looks and behaves like an asshole. A true chaotic evil character, I even gave him the psychotic voice which is hilarious but yeah, those acts are pretty crap. I'm looking forward to MotB which is supposed to be much better.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I thought Jerro wasn't the one who destroyed West Harbor during the game, rather that he just looked around there.

I'd say MotB is at the sweet spot for length. It doesn't feel short, but it doesn't overstay its welcome either, while having only a little filler.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom