Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I just bought Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum off Steam

Cynic

Arcane
Turning on puppet mode (behavior tab) should be the trick. Or simply turn off party AI, followers are retarded anyway.

Yeah but some of them I just want to do mindless shit like keep attacking or keep casting the same powerful spell without me having to micro manage them, there's a crapload of shit happening in this last fight.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
Aren't there mods for party AI? The stock AI is really terrible, I remember Neeshka acting like a straight up fighter in combat when she has like 10 HP, the AI not taking advantage of stealth or anything.

April fools' is just behind the corner, so I decided to treat myself witOC playthrough (2nd time) - has anyone tried bard 11/arcane archer 9 build and can say if it's worth the effort? I'm a huge bardfagfanboi in MotB, so no other class matters actually.

Cynic

Arcane
Ok bros, I just smashed the King of Shadows back to whatever plane he seeped out of. It's all over, and I was given one of the shittiest endings to a game I've ever seen. FFS it was bad.

Overall though, I liked the OC. Yeah the engine has some shitty things about it, some of the characters are annoying and the plot has some bad moments but honestly, I had fun.

It is a quaint game, quirky and silly in moments but as long as you approach it not expecting too much, you might be pleasantly surprised. It's not winning any awards for ground breaking, but as a fun CRPG experience, yeah it's worth a go.

Now, on to the real game. I've heard nothing but praise about MotB here, quite excited!

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
MOTB is a million times better. I wish it would've been made in a different engine because the camera, gameplay, and controls still kinda suck, like the first, IMO.

Cynic

Arcane
The camera takes a lot of getting used to and is a piece of shit in close quarters it's true, and the responsiveness of combat is absolute shit at times, but I don't know, I'm willing to put up with it. Don't ask me why, just something about the game, I likes.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ok bros, I just smashed the King of Shadows back to whatever plane he seeped out of. It's all over, and I was given one of the shittiest endings to a game I've ever seen. FFS it was bad.

Overall though, I liked the OC. Yeah the engine has some shitty things about it, some of the characters are annoying and the plot has some bad moments but honestly, I had fun.

It is a quaint game, quirky and silly in moments but as long as you approach it not expecting too much, you might be pleasantly surprised. It's not winning any awards for ground breaking, but as a fun CRPG experience, yeah it's worth a go.

Now, on to the real game. I've heard nothing but praise about MotB here, quite excited!
This pretty much matches my thoughts on the OC as well. Not great, but certainly passable. Feels like a KOTOR-era Bioware game with better writing.

The camera takes a lot of getting used to and is a piece of shit in close quarters it's true, and the responsiveness of combat is absolute shit at times, but I don't know, I'm willing to put up with it. Don't ask me why, just something about the game, I likes.
Just put the camera in...I think it's exploration mode, it controls the same as NWN1 which is fine if you're used to that. If the camera still turns too quickly with the mouse, you can turn that down in the options.

Some advice for MotB: if you've decided to use suppress, then use that and never consume spirits. Every spirit you consume increases your craving, which in turn makes you hungry faster. Just using suppress will eventually get your craving so low that your hunger will barely be a problem. Also, there are a few spirit eater-related abilities you can only learn through dialog, so pay attention to what's being said because you only get one chance to learn a few of them once.

April fools' is just behind the corner, so I decided to treat myself witOC playthrough (2nd time) - has anyone tried bard 11/arcane archer 9 build and can say if it's worth the effort? I'm a huge bardfagfanboi in MotB, so no other class matters actually.

I found bard more useful as a melee character. All your abilities are centered on your char so to help your melee or curse the enemies it's nice to be in close range. I recently did OC/MotB with a variation of this build, was quite easy, also if you want to have an effective bard, going deep into some other class really gimps it imo. One thing to remember is that mithril armor is one weight class lighter than the rest so full plate is medium armor, just get battle caster and it won't have casting failure, also mithral shields don't hinder spellcasting either.

Cynic

Arcane
This pretty much matches my thoughts on the OC as well. Not great, but certainly passable. Feels like a KOTOR-era Bioware game with better writing.

Just put the camera in...I think it's exploration mode, it controls the same as NWN1 which is fine if you're used to that. If the camera still turns too quickly with the mouse, you can turn that down in the options.

Some advice for MotB: if you've decided to use suppress, then use that and never consume spirits. Every spirit you consume increases your craving, which in turn makes you hungry faster. Just using suppress will eventually get your craving so low that your hunger will barely be a problem. Also, there are a few spirit eater-related abilities you can only learn through dialog, so pay attention to what's being said because you only get one chance to learn a few of them once.

Yeah I have the camera in exploration mode almost all the time.

I don't know anything about MotB so all of that just went over my head, I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

I so fucking envy you. You will get to experience the fucking great conversation with a.... certain God for the first time (written by George Ziets).

But Volo says it's sozzy

Volo is a dumbfuck, how long have you been here? My party of 4 Bards kicked major ass.

Cynic

Arcane

I so fucking envy you. You will get to experience the fucking great conversation with a.... certain God for the first time (written by George Ziets).

But Volo says it's sozzy

Volo is a dumbfuck, how long have you been here? My party of 4 Bards kicked major ass.

LOL I will post my impressions as I go, for sure.

I know of Volo's true nature, I just post that shit because it's hilarious. Everytime that game is brought up, he just enters the thread and posts that shit over and over again. Such dedication.

Cynic

Arcane
Lucky it doesn't have Cloud's sword in it eh?

It'd be a dumbfuckathon

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've actually never beaten SoZ. I always get bored with it a few hours in.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
What about Mysteries of Westgate? Was that worth playing? I never completed it after getting an hour or so into it, years ago.

Xor

Arcane
Haven't played it yet. I only acquired it recently when GoG had 10 D&D games on sale for $20.

Shannow

Waster of Time
That just proves your selective reading ;)
A few points:
Camera is even more broken in MotB than in OC. (At least for me it started up the character's ass whenever transitioning via a "door", even in exploration mode.)
Go for Mysteries of Westgate last. It's ok for a mod, not so great for an official expansion.
Don't rely on long lasting buffs in SoZ. They get erased on most map transitions. (There're "fixes" but they have their own down sides.)
There are IWD and BG mods for NWN2, so if you want to play either of them in a shitty engine with a good rule-set... (Though I doubt anyone would want to play through all those campaigns without taking a break from NWN2.)

Cynic

Arcane
Even early on the writing shines. Check this shit out bros

In my dream, I saw a city, gray and forbidding, beneath an empty sky. Before its gates came a hideous procession - all the dead of the world, of a hundred worlds, awaiting the judgement of the gods.

Excellent stuff.

Dorateen

Arcane
I wonder: which is better, Storm of the Zehir or Icewind Dale 1-2?

Icewind Dale 1 -2

The Infinity Engine is better than NWN2, gameplay is overall tighter and more polished. And of course, the original IWD is 2nd Edition AD&D. I even had to adjust the party size limit in the toolset for Storm of Zehir, to get a true Icewind Dale experience.

Nevertheless, SoZ was the first published create-your-own-party RPG in five years, which wasn't supposed to happen anymore because, you know, biodrones. So it gets a lot of credit for that.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Someone on the codex made a bard build that was a jack of all trades or something. I'm thinking about playing through NWN2 again. Could whoever that was post the build? I'm interested in seeing it.

Cynic

Arcane
Just got out of the Barrow, really feeling this game so far. The atmosphere is great and the characters are actually really interesting. Completely different from the OC where they were complete shit right from the start. Here's a couple of screens

BC6E431925F7C9DB866187369A86FCFE1C7C5D5F

BA523AC9C5FD1D40C96DF87DE1A5FB61F56FB5A0

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom