Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I just bought Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum off Steam

Ebonsword

Arcane
MOTB is a million times better. I wish it would've been made in a different engine because the camera, gameplay, and controls still kinda suck, like the first, IMO.

Anything good about MOTB is ruined by the vast annoyances and absurdities of high-level D&D.

I generally like complexity, but when your mages can have, like, a hundred different spells memorized at once, things get a little tedious. And it doesn't help my immersion when every random pirate you meet is a suddenly 20th level Fighter.

Cynic

Arcane
It's a logical progression to take your character from a peasant orphan of West Harbour to a plane walking warrior who's might is affront to the gods themselves, this is D&D after all.

Cynic

Arcane
Btw, just watched the evil ending for the OC on YouTube, it's much better than the good one, but that narrator is still wtf. Must have just been someone at Obsidian doing a sub in.

Athelas

Arcane
Btw, just watched the evil ending for the OC on YouTube, it's much better than the good one, but that narrator is still wtf. Must have just been someone at Obsidian doing a sub in.
You're correct. Brian Mitsoda to be exact.

So where are you in the game so far?

Erebus

Arcane
Mask of the Betrayer was the game that made me discover that the Forgotten Realms setting isn't completely banal shit boring.

Cynic

Arcane
I've only left the barrow in MOTB haven't had time to play, working weekends at the moment ::rage::

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mask of the Betrayer was the game that made me discover that the Forgotten Realms setting isn't completely banal shit boring.
As with most prefab settings, it can be as good or bad as the person running the game/telling the story makes it.

Yeah, some settings are just more interesting thematically than others, but it's entirely possible to make a boring, cliched Planescape campaign, or an interesting, original FR campaign.

Erebus

Arcane
As with most prefab settings, it can be as good or bad as the person running the game/telling the story makes it.

Yeah, some settings are just more interesting thematically than others, but it's entirely possible to make a boring, cliched Planescape campaign, or an interesting, original FR campaign.

I agree to some extent : it's possible to botch the use of an interesting setting or to make the best of a bland one. But when it's well-used, a genuinely good setting adds something to the story, provides a good atmosphere, offers interesting possibilities and contributes to striking the player's interest. It may not be completely essential to a pen-and-paper campaign, but it's really important to a CRPG. Baldur's Gate 1, for instance, would in my opinion be a better game if it didn't happen in such a bland and unoriginal setting.

I dunno, BG's combat and plot weren't really stellar to begin with so I doubt more interesting locales and lore would make it much better.

Morrowind is a good example of a game that would be a lot less interesting in a bland setting, tohugh.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bros can anyone tell me
How often using suppress adds to your lawful Alignment?
Is it like for an interval of so many uses or constantly after a point?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Bros can anyone tell me
How often using suppress adds to your lawful Alignment?
Is it like for an interval of so many uses or constantly after a point?
didn't they remove the alignment shifts in one patch at some point? Anyway that's what you get for playing a class that requires a certain alignment. Should have played wizard.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
They removed the alignment shifts with one of the first patches after MOTB. Update your game.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I want to play MotB.

What character should I play? Not a very :obviously: question, but from what I've been playing so far, fighters have incredibly passive and boring gameplay, and with low mental and social stats I'm afraid of missing on the good content which is the actual reason I picked this game up.

This: http://nwn2db.com/build/?644 bard build looks appealing, but before I ditch the whole "create your own character" concept and level everything with a printed out guide, I'd like to ask if playing fighters is really that shitty compared to other classes (it's very possible those other classes are just as shitty). Also, does having low mental and social stats make big difference in how much content is available? Or perhaps it's brute-force friendly?

Shannow

Waster of Time
It's a logical progression to take your character from a peasant orphan of West Harbour to a plane walking warrior who's might is affront to the gods themselves, this is D&D after all.
Does not compute. Not to mention that your comment has little to do with the raised criticism of epic levels (in MotB).
Anything good about MOTB is ruined by the vast annoyances and absurdities of high-level D&D.

I generally like complexity, but when your mages can have, like, a hundred different spells memorized at once, things get a little tedious. And it doesn't help my immersion when every random pirate you meet is a suddenly 20th level Fighter.
Epic gnolls :hearnoevil:

Just wanted to point that out. Otherwise we had all these discussions several times before, so I'll go back to posting inane one-liners once a week. Cya.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fighters are pretty terrible on their own, but they work well as part of certain builds. That build looks pretty weak to me but apparently people really enjoyed it, so what can I say. Personally I recommend this build, which, weeaboo name aside, can kill pretty much everything in MotB in approximately one round and has enough skill points to handle the important dialog checks.

And yes, your stats and skills will be tested in MOTB.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I want to play MotB.

What character should I play? Not a very :obviously: question, but from what I've been playing so far, fighters have incredibly passive and boring gameplay, and with low mental and social stats I'm afraid of missing on the good content which is the actual reason I picked this game up.

This: http://nwn2db.com/build/?644 bard build looks appealing, but before I ditch the whole "create your own character" concept and level everything with a printed out guide, I'd like to ask if playing fighters is really that shitty compared to other classes (it's very possible those other classes are just as shitty). Also, does having low mental and social stats make big difference in how much content is available? Or perhaps it's brute-force friendly?
There is no need to powerbuild in this game. If you want to play a fighter without a printed out leveling scheme, you can just do what I did when I played these Conan Chronicles mods. Play a barbarian. You get more skillpoints than fighter with synergizes well with Rogue. First level you take as a rogue (for more skillpoints), then you take a few barbarian levels and save some skillpoints and eventually you take another Rogue level. Rogue 2 / Barbarian X. You should have enough skillpoints to handle rogueish stuff like open locks, plus max a social skill, plus take useful skills like tumble and UMD. Take INT 14 at char creation for more skillpoints. Prestige classes (if any) as you see fit. More than enough to handle anything in the game.

Last edited:

Ookla

Novice
Does the AI mod still work? Just reinsatlled NWN 2 Gold. And damn you two hearted ale. I have no idea what I need to install.
Any links that make sense would be most welcome. Looked online and had no idea what mod I needed.

Terpsichore

Arcane
NWN2 (OC and all the expansions) are goddamn boring, easy, uneventful and way too short.

If you want a character with dialog and thieving skills that can faceroll through OC and MOTB make a human bard, give it a fighter level and multiclass to frenzied berserker, alternating bard and FB levels. You don't really need all that fancy spellcaster crap when you can just mow through everything with a good 2hander and the insane bonuses FB gives to it, you also get your base attack bonus high enough to use supreme power attack without any real penalties.

Xeon

Augur
Story in MOTB was pretty good. It probably has the best evil route in any game, at least from the ones I played. It wasn't a retarded evil nor Bioware douchey.

Edit:
Played a Sorcerer, First and only time I think played a magic oriented class in D&D and was kinda fun.

Cynic

Arcane
NWN2 (OC and all the expansions) are goddamn boring, easy, uneventful and way too short.

I disagree with this.

While I've only played the OC so far, I actually found it pretty enjoyable. As mentioned throughout this thread, it has its low points, sure. But as a very standard dungeons and dragons campaign, it's not so bad. It definitely has some moments which make the play through worthwhile.

I also liked the length. I love a super long epic game like the next bro, but at the same time I thought the OC's length was pretty much spot on. You got to go to a wide variety of locations and fight your fair share of epic monsters (Red dragon, fire giants etc.,) and while the story was lame in parts, it had some alright twists and turns as well.

So far MotB is doing well, although granted I've hardly played much. Hoping to get some quality time with it near the end of the month.

Cynic

Arcane
Snuck in a bit of game time today, really liking it. Just got Gann, this guy is a bro.

Lucky I kept a save inside the city, I walked right out after talking with the three witches and had to fight that fucking Bear god with just me and Safiya. He completely fucked our shit up.

After reloading my save inside the city I went up to the temple of Kelemvor, fuck me the writing in this game is good. I actually WANT to read everything. I went through the entire dialog tree with Darovik. Read every single word and wanted to know more. Really good stuff.

The atmosphere is also really up there overall in this game, music is cool too.

One question, I've heard about a spirit meter or something like that...I don't seem to have that yet or haven't been told about it in game, is that something that happens later?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes. You'll know when it does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom