Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I'm playing thru BG1 for the first time these past few days and...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
quick recap of what i've done: decided to use the chars that survive in bg2 (i've played bg2 years ago, few times but never finished it. have never ever played bg1), so i'm rolling with jaheira, khalid, minsc, imoen (mmm slurp slurp!) and i just NOW literally right now rescued dynaheir. I alt-tabbed cos i'm gonna sum up her total stat roll and use eekeper real quick to redistribute her stats. I did that for all the companions, but only a strict redistribution. they have not a single point more or less than before, only different places. i also changed their proficiencies, for example gave jaheira scimitar instead of her clubs (ugh), but i haven't changed any class kits with the exception of khalid who is a fighter/mage for some reason.

i think that khalid change was done by the bg-tweaks or bg1npc mod, one of the two. those are the only two mods i'm running, btw. i've been carefully reading through the mod threads for BG, so calm your beards friends. i'm not *that* incompetent. so yeah, i'm running BG:EE (it's awesome, fuck you, i tried to install EasyTuTu but it gave me error on clicking the exe after setting everything up, had spent hours by then and i activated frenzy and quickly removed from inventory BG:EE and it installed flawlessly, looks gorgeous and runs basically almost any mod worth using from non-EE BG's, with the exception of level1npc's. I'm using EE-Keeper (super easy to use) to change kits, etc, i mean if i want to; i haven't changed anything like that nor plan to. the khalid change i thought was part of vanilla until reading through some forum threads and realized he's supposed to be a plain fighter. oh well.

so yeah, that was the quick recap. now for my actual question: is the game supposed to be this easy? i had a super fun/tough time when i started it, doing fun stuff like going north of FAI exploring and getting one-shotted by ankhegs, or getting one-shotted by random Ogres before reaching the FAI. i've been reading now, after the fact, Lilura's AMAZING bg1 retrospective/analysis/review (only first few chapters, so as not to spoil myself), and am proud to say my 18/93 fighter with 18 dex, 18 con etc achieved through probably more than 250 clicks of the re-roll button specced with 2 pips in two handed sword and 2 pips in two handed style one-shotted the assassin mage, Tanish i think, who ambushes on FAI entrance. According to lilura that one is potentially one of the deadliest encounters in the game hehe, feel all proud of my inner munchkin for one-shotting him before he got 1 spell off. tee-hee. i'm using max difficulty slider, of course.

so that was all great fun, but now i have my full story canon party and just reached levels 4 and 3 with them, and i basically steam-rolled the gnolls. just pure select all attack profit. i did run into a flesh golem inside a sea-side cave while exploring trying to get to the gnoll stronghold and i actually started going the wrong way (that was great! felt amazing, like actual exploring) that just raped me every which way possible. i cheesed a bit by farming the Sirines on that map that gave tons of XP cos even though they charmed me they were super easy to kill. Re-rolled fighter PC is too op. i think my total roll was like 96 :D

now that i finally have my full party and no one needs to go do something quick or they'll leave i'm gonna go clear the nashkel mines. decided to pop by here and write all of this because i'm buzzed on caffeine.

PS: bg1 > poe

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
btw, i'm thinking of using eekeeper to change my PC's proficiency pips to longsword instead of two handed sword, and replace two handed style to sword and shield style, because while the uber-damage per swing is tasty i just found a +2 longsword exploring the nashkel map and talking to a random dude literally in the middle of nowhere. he said some stuff i clicked through immediately and chose the most goody goody option and a guy appeared, a bounty hunter, who did me the favor of murdering an NPC i picked, a thief called Safani, who i was using as a filler member until i rescued dynaheir. i found her exploring randomly too. i really love this aspect of the game, and i'm really enjoying myself a LOT more than from what i remember of my bg2 playthroughs.

too much munchkin? should i man up and stick with my initial decision of two handed sword i made blindly, (i've been very careful to not spoil loot placement to avoid planning ahead, saving that for later playthrough), but the lure of eekeeper is calling to me. I've become too spoiled by PoE's respec option in taverns, which i use constantly, basically respeccing nonstop until i eventually found the best most optimal machinations. i enjoy that, so whatever fuck you it's a game, i like making the party uber through meta-gaming and combing through the game systems until i achieve mathematical optimzation of stats, loot, etc. it's why i enjoy PoE so much :)

finding meaningful content (npc's, quests, etc) randomly exploring with no one telling me to choose chosen one, CHOOSE, all the time is fantastic. although yes, i agree the maps are starting to get tedious, and it really can become the best fog-of-war-clearing VR training simulator ever made. game really doubles down on that fog of war, i guess bhaalspawn's destiny is to murder... the darknessssss

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It's a shame you used balance changes in a first playthrough imo. It's part of the reason you're asking if the games difficulty is too low.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Make Khalid a fighter/mage is a tweak pack component, that's what happens when you just hit "install everything" and don't bother to check what you're doing.

Baldur's Gate 1 is a very easy game even if you've never played an infinity engine game before and have no idea how 2nd edition works. It's very easy to out-level content if you explore, fight everything, and do all the quests. I'm doing a playthrough myself where I'm over 20,000xp and I haven't even been to the mines yet. If you're having too easy a time, try Sword Coast Stratagems on your next playthrough.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
that's exactly what i'm going to do man. :)

now, bear in mind the only mods i have installed are npc project, and bg tweaks, and my re-arranging of npc's stats using their same roll amount.

i just cleared the mines and yep, it was quite effortless. i'm gonna backup the game folder completely, and install SCS "lite" and continue adventuring. i still have plenty of dungeons left to experience the SCS glory. if it's too wtflolwut, i'll go back to pre-SCS, or try a different mod called Heart of Fury Mode for BG1EE, which from the detailed description i read seems very legit.

bonus question: is the black pits worth playing?

Xeon

Augur
The mage at the Friendly Arms inn only problem with him is on vanilla he walks to you before the fight starts. One of the best things that SCS change is the enemies will talk to you from where they are standing and engage you a little bit on their term.

I don't think BGEE has a HoF mode, there is Nightmare Mode but a lot of people said its not balanced or something.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the HoF mode is precisely that, a mod someone made for bgtutu/bgt/bg:ee that implements as accurately and as closely as possible within the framework of bg1 all of the arbitrations of IWD's HoF. i think i'm actually gonna go with HoF instead of SCS, since it's it's essentially a 1:1 copy of Sawyer-approved difficulty mode, instead of a group of die-hard fans' lolwut cranked to 11 dream difficulty. here's the link to the bg1:ee HoF mod (it also offers a lite version which halves the changes):

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussi...-of-fury-mode-emulator-for-bg-ee-v-1-0#latest

-------------------

""Abstract/tl;dr:
This mod purports to re-create the IWD Heart of Fury mode as faithfully as possible.

 In its current state, the mod can be considered reasonably well tested: I’ve conducted a party run with both SCS and HoFemu enabled. Even though I did not finish it properly (I’m at end-chapter IV), I’ve been to enough areas, both critical and completely optional. Of course, if you run into some bugs with the mod, feel free to contact me here or via e-mail.

 Compatibility issues. I can only vouch for SCS v. 28: HoFemu is fully compatible with SCS. It’s important to note it’s best installed after SCS. Again, if some compatibility issues arise, please let me know.

 Component description, or what this mod actually does. (1) ‘HoF-style enemy statistics: -11 AC, -5 THAC0, -5 saving throws, hp * 3 + 80, xp * 4 + 2,000.’ Pretty much self-explanatory, I suppose. Please note: I did not make these rules up. That’s how Heart of Fury mode operates in IWD. (2) ‘HoF-style enemy ApR: Enemies gain +1 ApR.’ To be perfectly honest, IWD HoF did not just add an extra attack, but since the exact rules were never externalized, I had little choice but to rely on my own experience and common sense. As it stands, I think +1 ApR is an adequate enough translation of whatever IWD HoF does in a vast majority of cases. (3) ‘Semi-HoF summon/polymorph statistics: -5 AC, -2 THAC0, -2 saving throws, hp * 1.5 + 40, xp * 2 + 1,000.’ This is very different from what HoF does in IWD, and for a good reason. One of the main drawbacks of IWD HoF mode was it made all creatures – indiscriminately - tough as hell. That translated into a weird new balance, where summoners/shapeshifters became the indisputable kings of the game. To avoid this flaw, and, at the same time, to allow summons/polymorphs to remain viable as ‘meat shields’, I make them semi-HoF, which means they gain exactly half of the HoF bonus stats, rounded down (thus, no +½ ApR). From what I’ve experienced during my test playthrough, this approach seems to work better than the original indiscriminate one. (4) ‘Familiar hp reverted to non-HoF value; all familiars gain 50% physical damage resistance and full HoF AC: hp=12, +50% physical DR, -11 AC.’ This is the sole exception to component (4). Technically, familiars are summons. However, since the summoner gains ½ of his familiar’s hp, that caused a rather serious issue: semi-HoF familiars had 58 hp, so that the mage was suddenly getting +29 hp upon casting Find Familiar. My method to remedy that issue is probably not an ideal one: I give the familiars their non-HoF hp back, but, to compensate for that, also grant them full HoF AC and +50% damage resistance (crushing, slashing, piercing, missile). I am well aware of the fact no one probably uses these guys in melee (even the pseudo-dragon), but the option should remain open. (5) ‘Illusionary monsters in the prologue grant no HoF xp bonus when killed: xp=0.’ Illusionary monsters during Obe’s training session were granting 2,000 xp per kill (HoF bonus). Since putting a freebie level-up station in Candlekeep was hardly my intent in this mod, I nerf them back to 0 xp per kill.

 Some tips for the brave masochists that wish to try a rather unpleasant, monotonous, and tiresome combination of SCS plus HoF. First of all, remember BGEE can (should?) be played more as a stealth game than as a beat-‘em-up. You’d be shocked how few enemies along the critical path it is really mandatory to kill to advance the plot. Secondly, a corollary of the principle formulated above is that invisibility is your friend. All forms of it, really, not just the wizard spell (rogue skills, Sanctuary). Thirdly, while the amount of hp is strongly modified by this HoF emulator, the amount of hit dice/levels is not. Pay close attention to hit dice-reliant spells (Command: Sleep, Cloudkill). And finally, it doesn’t matter how epic target’s AC is, if it is asleep or stunned. There are spells and items that can help a ton in this respect.""

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
hoooly shit killing mulaney was fucking fun. that guy just did not want to go down. first fight i had to use pots, had to CC, did a super last minute bhaalspawn healing touch on minsc so he didn't die. best moment was retreating to the pool room (the spawns fucked up my formation, and dynaheir miraculously survived a full hit from a kobold), retreating to the pool room while PC/Misnc used their longbows behind a barkskinned jaheira keeping the mob at bay while imoen set traps that magically flew over jaheiras head. jaheira saved the day with a well placed entangle and then dynaheir i assume got a super lucky roll on her last spell a color spray that killed mulaney.

during the fracas apparently Xan ate some of my steel cos dude was ornery so i had to put him down.

the fast, universal timing for all actions really makes fights flow much, much better than on PoE. i used to think combat was too fast in BG's, but now i understand. if you have to make a decision to do a spell or moe a character, or switch weapons due to the changing nature of the melee you're not unduly penalized for taking those actions, and your reward is merely surviving/winning. the game gives you a toolbox and you use the tools appropriately as you see fit in a predetermined rhythm and flow that isn't disastrously convoluted by like, 3 different action speed modifiers, sorry, FOUR, plus recovery penalty for movement and weapon switching and spell actions not being standardized. jesus what a fucking clusterfuck PoE is. that said, i still love it, but i 100% understand sensuki's view on it's banalshitboring rote combat and how it penalizes actions. i agree! i don't think it makes it a worse game though, just... an obsidian game :)

footnote: i'm using the HoF mod for difficulty.

/blog Sensuki

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yes, when comparing the IE combat system (attacks per round and every action aside from spells has a uniform execution time) and Pillars of Eternity - fights DO flow waaaay better than in PIllars of Eternity. It's super easy to understand and read the flow of combat.

I personally prefer playing BG1 vanilla because it doesn't screw with the spawn system and it's harder in some ways. Modded BG1 can make combat harder/more fun but I just enjoy the vanilla UI, vanilla character models and the vanilla feel.

I really fucking enjoy modded Icewind Dale though with the harder Yxunomei and harder Belhifet and stuff like that, and also the same mods for BG2:ToB - those are fucking sweet.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In my fairly-recent experience, BG doesn't get demanding until chapter 3/4.

laclongquan

Arcane
The reroll shit is now very boring. To save yourself some tedious 200+ click (and accompanied calculation to see if total point exceed target), might as well max what stat you want at CHarisma's expense, then use dalekeeper to up it later.

I like point buy system better. No more rerollllllllll~

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bg gets demanding once you go to that fucking spider zone. Being poisoned in BG 1 is a p big deal if you're unprepared or even if you are (dat poison damage interrupting casting animation).

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I've never found the spider areas (Red Wizard area and that one Cloakwood area) challenging. Once or twice I might have to reload if I forgot where a web trap is and got unlucky on the saves [and that would be because I reload if a character dies rather than go to the temple].

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I've never found the spider areas (Red Wizard area and that one Cloakwood area) challenging.

Then you either have Edwin in your party or you play without SCS, 'cause the Red Wizards is one of the hardest fights in the entire game with SCS installed.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The reroll shit is now very boring. To save yourself some tedious 200+ click (and accompanied calculation to see if total point exceed target), might as well max what stat you want at CHarisma's expense, then use dalekeeper to up it later.

I like point buy system better. No more rerollllllllll~
Ctrl+shift+8, reduce to whatever you consider "reasonable" values.

It's amazing how a game that came out in 1997 can have a better combat system then a game that came out in 2015, but I think it really just comes down to different goals. The Infinity Engine is trying to model AD&D 2E in a fast-paced and fun way, while PoE is trying to be balanced with itself. In retrospect it really isn't surprising that PoE turned out like it did, although it's still disappointing.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I've never found the spider areas (Red Wizard area and that one Cloakwood area) challenging. Once or twice I might have to reload if I forgot where a web trap is and got unlucky on the saves [and that would be because I reload if a character dies rather than go to the temple].
Reload? what is that?
After a while I only played on self enforced hardcore rules.

ArchAngel

Arcane
As for aweigh SCS is a must have if you are already familiar with IE games and consider yourself good at them. BG1 without SCS is full of mentally retarded enemies.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
As for aweigh SCS is a must have if you are already familiar with IE games and consider yourself good at them. BG1 without SCS is full of mentally retarded enemies.

Its been so many years since I played a BG/BG2 without SCS that I cannot even imagine how easy the base game must be. The bandit camp in particular is much harder with it installed.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Baldur's Gate 1 is a very easy game"

Define 'very easy'.

DeepOcean

Arcane
the fast, universal timing for all actions really makes fights flow much, much better than on PoE.
Not only the universal timing but the fact that each action has a clear consequence, soft counters are cleary the case of working wonders on theory and being awful on practice, while I'm not a fan of RTwP, fights on BG 1 are way more clear and you don't feel you are managing a mess where you are barely in control.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom