Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment So is Tides of Numenera actually worth a damn?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
nope

it has a few interesting-ish (gameplay) ideas that are unfortunately either wasted or misguided, but overall it's simply just not worth the bother

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
No it isn't.

Maybe with a mod which 1) gets rid of Effort completely, 2) disables using companions for skill checks.

DemonKing

Arcane
I liked it enough to finish it, and I'm not even a huge fan of the original PS:Torment.

Gameplay is not up to much but the story was ok and there are tons of interesting and/or weird characters to interact with.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Reminds me I backed this game for minimum pledge and never started it. Waited for a rabbit out of the hat with patches I suppose. Meh.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I figured this is the best place to ask. So is it?

The Age of Decadence (although quite different) is the closest thing you're going to get to a narrative-driven RPG/CYOA hybrid that the original Torment was.

Only a thousand skill checks and a novel worth of words stand between you and godhood (or an inglorious end in some dark alleyway).

As for whether T:TON is worth it, that depends a large variety of factors, the biggest being how long you've been at the cRPG hobby (how many RPGs have you played and what kind), AND whether you can make the investment of effort and attention RPGs before 1995 call for.

If you can play pretty much any RPG regardless of era but haven't played most old RPGs, any of them would be a better investment of effort and attention than T:TON.

If you don't really enjoy PC RPGs before 1995 or have already played them (or enough of them), then that puts T:TON back into the running, but among the new crop of RPGs that have sprouted up since crowdfunding became a thing, is a weak link. Both WL2 and D:OS were better and more interesting games even before their enhanced editions.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Only if you have played everything else. The most correct word for the game is "mediocre". It is not bad game,just i don't remember anything from it. So in short...no!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yes it is great.

Now please buy my unopened collectors edition for $200?
But if you keep it,it will become an antique in a decade or two. You will be able to sell it on the fallout version of ebay then,,,if you are alive.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

The Age of Decadence (although quite different) is the closest thing you're going to get to a narrative-driven RPG/CYOA hybrid that the original Torment was.

There is like 10x more combat in PST than in AoD, the fuck you talking about. PST was ridden with trash mobs, it was no CYOA.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I guess it depends on what you like... The setting is relatively interesting and some gameplay mechanics are "innovative"...
But the game is filled to the brim with text and lacks action to the point that there are about 10 combat sequences in total and they are even kind of "skippable". When I say filled to the brim with text, I mean it. If you can't stand a lot of reading, there's no point in playing T:TON

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

There is like 10x more combat in PST than in AoD, the fuck you talking about. PST was ridden with trash mobs, it was no CYOA.

:hmmm:

If you want a text-driven game that extensively utilizes attribute-based skill checks to unlock content and interact with the environment, play AoD or the original Torment.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

If you want a text-driven game that extensively utilizes attribute-based skill checks to unlock content and interact with the environment, play AoD or the original Torment.
They are nothing in common mate. In AoD you have to cheat to have a good time in it,unless you like restarting at every new check you encounter.

They are nothing in common mate. In AoD you have to cheat to have a good time in it,unless you like restarting at every new check you encounter.

If you guys are going to argue you can at least come up with a good reason why they aren't alike, like, Planescape: Torment doesn't have a branching narrative and Age of Decadence does. My rationale was that Torment "feels" like it branches because the story feels completely different depending on whether you are good or evil/lawful chaotic, comparable to playing Dark Side/Light Side in Kotor II.

I don't know how "cheating to have a good time" pertains to genre.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

If you guys are going to argue you can at least come up with a good reason why they aren't alike, like, Planescape: Torment doesn't have a branching narrative and Age of Decadence does. My rationale was that Torment "feels" like it branches because the story feels completely different depending on whether you are good or evil/lawful chaotic, comparable to playing Dark Side/Light Side in Kotor II.

I don't know how "cheating to have a good time" pertains to genre.
A serious debate on the codex ...lol.... ok i will bite. Both of those games are the same genre,but Torment doesn't have gated content as much,you are able to get most of it on first playthrough as long as you know that the game is INT/WIS based. If you are experienced rpg fan,you will have no problem going trough all the things.I disliked the skill check gating in the AoD and lack of skillpoints/exp balance,you can't become more than master of one specific thing and that it is. And thus you can't create your own adventure,you just have to chose one of the paths in the beginning and stick with it. Also the writing is not that great,it is not bad eater,it is decent. To be able to play the CYOA in AoD you had to consolete those skillpoints. Also in kotor 1&2 i always end up with a nice grey dude.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom