Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, Jaesun, what's a "classic RPG"? (poll)

What do you think of the new RPG forums?

• Total voters

MMXI

Arcane
The other option is creating forums for all the sub-genres:
- Real-Time Action-RPGs (Mass Effect, Daggerfall, Oblivion, Alpha Protocol)
- Turn-Based (& RTWP) RPGs (KotC, Baldur's Gate, Fallout's - potentially both old and new?)
- jRPGs
Well, as you know, my proposal already divides a good bunch of real-time action and turn-based RPGs. Oblivion, Alpha Protocol and Mass Effect would all go into the console RPG forum because they were designed to take consoles into account. Daggerfall, which you've listed in the real-time action forum, gets to go with Fallout, KotC and Baldur's Gate in the computer RPG forum as it was designed and developed for the PC.

To be honest, that's unfair to Jaesun. I've personally been thinking of adding in additional RPG forums for a while. Though mainly my thoughts were of an "Roguelike / Indie" nature for things like Legend of Grimrock, KotC and all the roguelike stuff. The sort of old-school RPG type things. It's a small niche and players of those sorts of games don't want to miss something being flooded out by Mass Effect Thread #4771074 and Skyrim discussion #4892848.
See the solution? What do those roguelike/indie games have in common with Jaesun's idea of a classic? Being developed for the PC without console considerations. That's basically it. There may be a few odd leakages with some games ending up on the forum that they least fit in (in terms of gameplay), but that's a small price to pay for a clear divide with hardly any ambiguity. Again, having KotC in a different forum to Curse of the Azure Bonds doesn't make sense to me, and this is my only real problem with the current method.

Turjan

Arcane
That would make sense if we actually had the problem of having 4771074 ME threads or 4892848 Skyrim discussions. Which is not the case.
Yeah but don't we only have one mega thread because every time a topic gets created - it gets merged into it?
I didn't mention it specifically, but that's the main reason. This moderator activism makes discussions of new games a bit difficult at the moment, as it's hard to find anything in those megathreads, which are also full of repetitions because of that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Multi-platform RPGs that weren't ported to consoles at a much later date can go into the "console RPG" forum, as developing an RPG with consoles in mind dumbs it down to console levels.
Under these rules, Knights of the Old Republic would be dumped into the "console RPG" forum where it belongs, together with the likes...Dragon Age,
Dragon Age Origins was a PC game ported to consoles that was finished and held for 6 months so it could have a simultaneous multi-platform release. :M
Bullshit. That's just what BioWare wanted you to think. The game was originally going to be a PC game, only for it to get turned into a console game during its development. Do you honestly think EA would have let BioWare continue to make a PC only game for a while after buying them out?
Yep, and it's obvious from how the two are different. Multiplatform games are 1:1 identical, barring a few interface caveats (clear example: Dragon Age 2). The 360 version of of Dragon Age doesn't have the pseudo-isometric view, is missing the ability to issue move orders while paused, doesn't have friendly fire on normal and only 50% on hard, and encounters were redesigned because consoles couldn't handle the number of enemies on screen at once so they either had them come in in waves or reduced their number but buffed up their stats.

Volourn would also say it's superior because Mike Laidlaw made it a priority to add a junk filter to inventory and better presentation for the worthless codex entries. So if they were working on the console and PC versions at the same time, wouldn't the PC version also benefit from those improvements, hmm?

Stabwound that screenshot is a mock-up using the NWN engine before Eclipse was even finished.

MMXI

Arcane
Yep, and it's obvious from how the two are different. Multiplatform games are 1:1 identical, barring a few interface caveats (clear example: Dragon Age 2). The 360 version of of Dragon Age doesn't have the pseudo-isometric view, is missing the ability to issue move orders while paused, doesn't have friendly fire on normal and only 50% on hard, and encounters were redesigned because consoles couldn't handle the number of enemies on screen at once so they either had them come in in waves or reduced their number but buffed up their stats.
Tweaking some variables isn't difficult. Deleting a few enemies from (or adding a few copy-pasted enemies to) some combat encounters is also rather painless. In fact, you'll never know how much better the game would have been had it not been developed for consoles. Perhaps the game would have had a party of six, even though BioWare planned a four person party back in 2004. Perhaps the game would have had a grid inventory like almost every single PC developed CRPG has (compare Morrowind to Oblivion, Neverwinter Nights to Knights of the Old Republic, Neverwinter Nights 2 to every other Obsidian game before and after). They probably wouldn't have gone down the "tactics slot" route, which seems to be there to allow players to ignore certain characters and focus on one. Perhaps you wouldn't have regenerated quickly after each combat encounter. Perhaps areas could have been bigger and more open (such as the forest). Who knows that else.

Volourn would also say...
r00fles

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
MMXI Bioware was already targeting a much larger market, being developed for consoles has nothing to do with most of the issues you brought up. You're also unaware of the large amount of effort it takes to QA two different versions of the same game (which is why all multiplatform releases go for the 1:1 thing).

MMXI

Arcane
MMXI Bioware was already targeting a much larger market, being developed for consoles has nothing to do with most of the issues you brought up. You're also unaware of the large amount of effort it takes to QA two different versions of the same game (which is why all multiplatform releases go for the 1:1 thing).
Are you saying that the game would have turned out the same had BioWare not spent the last two years developing it with consoles in mind?

dragonbait

Augur
I used to always view these forums by typing "rpg codex general" and clicking on the first link, cause it directed me to the exact forum that I always view......(General RPG Discussion)

Now the same General RPG Discussion Forum has now become "cRPG Discussion - The New Shit™". and every post concerning rpgs prior to mid 1990's has been relocated to another forum "Golden Age RPG's", and I make one frigging post joking about the new division of forum sections and the post gets tossed into retardo land because apparently I along with everyone else are supposed to assume that all discussion about the new division of forums is located in a post called "So Jaeson whats a classic rpg-poll"??? because we were supposed to have taken mind reading 101?

To top it off, codex......take a look at the polling data for "So Jaeson whats a classic rpg-poll" thread, and its polling question of "What do you think of the new RPG forums?"

It's obvious what the majority of codexers feel about the new division of forums.....

* What the hell? Stop splitting shit up, just dump it all in General RPG Discussion. 94 vote(s) 71.2%

Why do I even bother posting here? I must be tapped in the head or something. :?

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Yeah, this split is shit. Remerge it all into GRPGD.

It also doesn't help that games are not being categorized according to their forum: Grimrock is a classic oldie by nearly every definition, and yet it's in the new shit forum.

So basically, these new forums are Jaesun enforcing his opinion of what crpgs are on everyone else, which is wrong and how utterly exemplifying of the tyrannical nature of aethist faggots.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Are you saying that the game would have turned out the same had BioWare not spent the last two years developing it with consoles in mind?
Pretty much the same, yeah. Otherwise the changes they specifically made for the console versions would have also been applied to the PC to make their lives easier (had they actually been developed concurrently). Of course this discussion is now moot since the description for the mole-popping forum is clear. Carry on!

Sul

Savant
Why MMORPGs are being shown along with the popamole RPGs on the news page?

aris

Arcane
So nice to have a AAA Shitty Action Game labeled as a RPG FREE forum now. <3
Those games are pretty much all that the codex discusses about games anyways, so the whole game discussionn activity of the codex just got moved from one sub-forum to another.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom