Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, Jaesun, what's a "classic RPG"? (poll)

What do you think of the new RPG forums?

• Total voters

kaizoku

Arcane
In theory this is a great idea since it will prevent threads about good games being buried under pages of crap.

In practice, well... what happens is this
cJorF.jpg

If the hivemind is unable to define what is an RPG, how can it discriminate between a classic and non-classic. We can already see that setting a fixed year date is not a good approach.
But it's not as if the codex was ever coherent about this anyway (some *RPGs have been moved to the GG forum in the past anyway).

Solution:
1) merge the Classic, General, jRPG forums into a single cRPG discussion forum (if the game has stats it should be here)
2) enslave allow the *mods* (and only them) to tag the threads in the cRPG forum with one or more of the following tags: prestigious, papamole shameful, Jaesun-approved, pre-2000s, jRPG, Turn-Based, Real-Time, party-based, isometric, roguelike.
3) ???

Everything stays in the same place.
Threads become easy to filter (for those who don't know you can click on the tag link and it will list all similarly tagged threads). And with a bit of luck users could also browse using a tag cloud too.
Jaesun still has it his way.
DU doesn't have to do any much work.

FWIW IMO, for a cRPG to be eligible for the prestigious tag it should have to respect the following:
- released more than 5 years ago
- somewhat comparable (in terms of quality) to the codex top 10

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
1) merge the Classic, General, jRPG forums into a single cRPG discussion forum (if the game has stats it should be here)
2) enslave allow the *mods* (and only them) to tag the threads in the cRPG forum with one or more of the following tags: prestigious, papamole shameful, Jaesun-approved, pre-2000s, jRPG, Turn-Based, Real-Time, party-based, isometric, roguelike.
3) ???
:salute:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, the mods won't give a shit. I can already see the jrpg not being marked TB.

It's an useless distinction. People have a preference for genres or platforms, not release dates. Plus I don't see the point in bunnyhopping between "pre 1994"' "1995-2002" 2003-20XX" to see if there's an interesting thread if the grpg page takes maybe three or four days to be filled with new content.

Kaizoku's idea is nice, but the thread creators themselves should tag their threads.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
If the tag filtering system allowed one to easily select multiple tags to filter and their negation

(like TB & !JRPG) it would be useful. Then a area to save/select these searches templates and you'd be set. Though maybe just saving the url in the browser bookmarks would be enough for our resident curmudgeons.

This still doesn't address the problem of data filling which is bound to be inaccurate unless it is very easy indeed and the mods are obsessive compulsive enough to correct omissions and errors (GUESS THERE IS NO PROBLEM THERE AMIRITE GUYS?)

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
When choosing a classifying system one better use one that is grounded on goddamn facts instead of statistics unless you want your 'datasets' to appear suspiciously similar to phrenology.

KotC, 'classic rpg' or not, and if why?*

* demon souls, jrpg or not, and if why?

Phelot

Arcane
Exactly. I sound like a broken record:

Make a TB, RT, and jRPG forum. All the "classics" that people cream themselves over will be in the monocle forum while only a few sacrifices will be left to the RT one, like Darklands :smug:

Infinitron I'm aware of that, I just don't think it's an useful way to organize a forum. If we had these subforums, would you avoid any of them, save maybe the "2000-present" one (which you'd still click on to laugh at Mass effects and Dragon ages anyway)? No, you'll probably check them all because you're likely interested in the subject as a whole (arpegees). I don't think many people are exclusively interested in "mid-1990s" Rpgs to justify having to hop through two or three pages to check that subforum.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I suspect a 'console' subforum would be better than a jprg, but that still wouldn't circle the square of a TB jrpg (who wins?) Obviously it is:
cRPG TB, cRPG RT, console trash*.

* skyrim goes here

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think many people are exclusively interested in "mid-1990s" Rpgs to justify having to hop through two or three pages to check that subforum.

I agree, and that's the point. The purpose of such a forum would be primarily to serve as a niche source of information about old games, not as an active discussion forum.

mondblut

Arcane
Solution:

Keep the jrpg trash outside my CRPG discussion forum, kthxbye.

With a separate forum, I can unplug it from my what's new. With tags, I can't do shit. It's not like I'd need them anyway, I can read topic names pretty fine.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Merge General and JRPG discussion, rename it "Console RPG Discussion".
Rename "Classic RPG Discussion" to "Computer RPG Discussion", and include modern PC releases.

There, problem solved.

Mortmal

Arcane
Reallity check mondblut , theres much more western trash in the grpg forum than jrpg trash , even if that dont please you the west has declined much more than japan .
What was posted as jrpg ? FF13 ? No, Dark souls , dragon's dogma who suffer still the indignity of general gamin forum , one tactical rogue like with anime graphics,a few carpe fulgur games crooked bee reviewed, even if you dont like the art, those play as games and have at least the merits of being entertaining. I cant say that much for the lastest batch of shit our beloved western developpers delivered to us: kingdom of amalur , diablo 3, risen 2 .

Only thing worth discussing this year keeping relatively , old school and classic rules, was grimrock and you dont even like that. If there was a splitting to do , it would be between abandonware and new releases but even on that no one would agree on where to stop 1990 ? 2000 ?

Nonsense all of this , the label for jrpg forum a joke, "anything made by asians" ,the quality of the games doesnt matter at all, well if one day i go vault dweller way and start my realm of arcania clone, id better not hire asian coders!

When do we get polish rpg subforum ? "anything made in potatoland " Theres a distnct feel between a polish rpg and an your beloved usa ones (biowarefor ex) you dont want those new comers soling your prestigious general rpg forum too?

I agree, and that's the point. The purpose of such a forum would be primarily to serve as a niche source of information, not as an active discussion forum.

In other words, creating a subforum knowing it won't see much movement...I understand what you're going for, but I don't see it being useful in practice, the entire forum is a pool of knowledge when you have a search function. Plus, less subforums means more people will check most of them, which means more people will see your thread.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I agree, and that's the point. The purpose of such a forum would be primarily to serve as a niche source of information, not as an active discussion forum.

In other words, creating a subforum knowing it won't see much movement...I understand what you're going for, but I don't see it being useful in practice, the entire forum is a pool of knowledge when you have a search function. Plus, less subforums means more people will check most of them, which means more people will see your thread.

Well, this is a theoretical argument. It seems to me that Jaesun basically wants to create a forum for "TRUE RPGs" and a forum for "fake popamole RPGs", and that idea is bullshit.

kaizoku

Arcane
KotC
(hopefully) Wasteland 2
(even more hopefully) the future MCA kickstarter

Kaizoku's idea is nice, but the thread creators themselves should tag their threads.
My reasoning for only allowing posts to be tagged by mods was that shitposters will shitpost.
Well, mods will probably troll on some games too...
Another reason was to ideally limit the set of tags, otherwise we may end up with a bunch of stupid synonyms, and we get back to square one.
which is better and why? discuss (tm)

Well, if it would be possible for thread creators to tag their thread, and for mods to edit those tags, then maybe that would be a good compromise.

If the tag filtering system allowed one to easily select multiple tags to filter and their negation

(like TB & !JRPG) it would be useful. Then a area to save/select these searches templates and you'd be set. Though maybe just saving the url in the browser bookmarks would be enough for our resident curmudgeons.
fake edit: while I was going to try the negation search, it looks like the current tags are not really tags, but thread prefixes instead. However xenforo does have plugins for tags.
I'm pretty confident the bookmark approach would work. At worst case all cRPGs would need to have the gameplay tag (Real-Time | Turn-Based | jRPG). It's not ideal, but would be manageable.

DarkUnderlord
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/tinhte-xentag.770/

Keep the jrpg trash outside my CRPG discussion forum, kthxbye.
Isn't your fav cRPG a jRPG made by Koei? :smug:

offtopic: is multi-quote broken?
If I click "reply" on a post that is already quoting someone, then the inner quotes vanish... :|

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
KotC
(hopefully) Wasteland 2
(even more hopefully) the future MCA kickstarter

Not classics (deal with it)

You're assuming that there's some definition of "classic" that isn't reflected by date. I say we can define what a "classic" is entirely by date, if we want to.

mondblut

Arcane
Isn't your fav cRPG a jRPG made by Koei? :smug:

No, it is not.

For one, it's a strategy game and has nothing to with jrpgs.

Two, it was made by Koei California. Stieg Hedlund of to-be Diablow II fame was lead designer of the studio.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom