Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So morrowind is kind of overrated I think

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Morrowind = Daggerfall > Battlespire > Arena >>>>> Skyrim > Oblivion > probably whatever even further dumbed down shit they come up with next

I think it's totally possible they'll go on an upward trend from Skyrim, which was significantly better than Oblivion. Focus on the qualities that made Skyrim popular - combat and exploration and finally admit they make action games with character creation and conversations and ditch the skills all together - just do perks. Also with Witcher 3's enormous success totally eclipsing Fallout 4 they probably realize that they no longer set the sales bar for mainstream open world gaming. Also, the fact that they made Morrowind a main expansion for ESO is probably another good sign.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Looks like there is a group of people
retards
trying to get some attention or they think repeating the same cracks over and over again will make them truths.
Well, mainstream medias does it, right, why not them ?

For some reason, it's not working, probably because most people here try even the worst games like the Bethesturds, just to be able to enjoy a real good game when they lay their hands on one (which isn't that common)

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I think it's totally possible they'll go on an upward trend from Skyrim, which was significantly better than Oblivion. Focus on the qualities that made Skyrim popular - combat and exploration and finally admit they make action games with character creation and conversations and ditch the skills all together - just do perks. Also with Witcher 3's enormous success totally eclipsing Fallout 4 they probably realize that they no longer set the sales bar for mainstream open world gaming. Also, the fact that they made Morrowind a main expansion for ESO is probably another good sign.

Skyrim isn't "significantly better" than Oblivion, they both have their strengths and weaknesses and Oblivion was by far more ambitious than Skyrim. Also, what you're proposing is historically the opposite of what Bethesda has been doing thus far. Every Elder Scrolls title (and Fallout) has been a downgrade in some form or fashion from the one previous to it. Morrowind's world was much smaller than Daggerfalls and lost a lot of the replayability that Daggerfall allows. Oblivion's stats and skills system is neutered from Morrowind, the world-building and setting is significantly worse, and the introduction of voiced lines took away some of the depth and variety in the NPC conversations (although Morrowind's are mostly wikis). Skyrim's AI is total trash compared to Oblivion's and the stats/skills were cut even further, turning it into a dungeon romp hack n slash (which it's actually a very good game in that regards, but not from an RPG perspective). These are just examples, but it seems like every title abandoned the great ideas from the previous title, especially Oblivion's Radiant AI system which could have been something really impressive if they had improved it, but instead they decided that it was just too much hassle and released Skyrim with "I just stand in this spot 24/7" NPCs. Although now that I think about it Skyrim's radiant quest system is actually one of the few times Bethesda has taken something that was cut from a previous game and added it back.

MWaser

Arbiter
Almost went along with the bait but then I saw the praise for the random quests in Daggerfall.

How fucking bored of your life must you be to genuinely consider random quests in Daggerfall to be worth doing.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Never liked morrowind, game world was too bland and stale. Combat too shit and there was too much of it.
Dialogue sucked and every character I met spoke like a dictionary instead of a real person.

When this and NWN(and Kotor the next year) got hyped up in the early 2000's I knew rpg's were over.

Codex Year of the Donut
Morrowind's dialogue system is amazing and sophisticated.
QkLt3sq.jpg

MWaser

Arbiter

while all these things pointed out are indeed valid issues that exist in Morrowind, you could also make an identical argument for all the ways in which Morrowind is better than Gothic 2. It's easy to just cherry-pick all the improvements in one game over another to try and make an argument.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
OP could not find Caius Cossades

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom