Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline So much potential for Lovecraftian Games, yet so little effort

Unwanted

Contrite

Andhaira
Andhaira
I'm going on a bit of a rant here so bear with me as I vent.

Lovecraftian fiction and it's 'universe' are in the public domain, AFAIK. Even if they are not, it should cost a pittance to license Call of Cthulhu from Chaosium. I just don't get why companies don't do it. There is a fuck load of potential there. From RPGs to survival horror FPS's. The sole CoC game we got, a survival horror FPS was quite well done. It had issues yeah, but it shows how much potential you have.

Games like Amnesia are fun, but the no combat thing where you just have to run away gets old. At the same time the constant gunning of the Resident Evil series get boring fast too.A real CoC game, whether rpg, action adventure or survival horror FPS would straddle the middle line. Not only that, but between the Sanity mechanic, ability to create your own character, ability to cast spells and the rich mythology with unique cults and creatures would make for great games, if done right.

I don't get why no developers go in this direction. Why are we getting Wolf, Doom, GoW, Halo, CoD and Half Life again when there is so much potential just waiting in the Lovecraftian mythos. It would be so refreshing to play a game where the objective is not saving the world, but surviving or at the least retaining sanity.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Combat/fighting your way through the game just doesnt Fit to a lovecraftian experience. I would even go so far and say that These stories work the best when consumed in Textform so your mind can fill in the blanks about the Horror etc. Seeing it all visceral onscreen would destroy Part of what makes the universe interesting, IMO

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Games like Amnesia are fun, but the no combat thing where you just have to run away gets old.

Wait what?

Are you sure you want "Lovecraftian" games, or just games in which you shoot tentacle monsters?

Perhaps the likes of you are the reason why true Lovecraftian games are seldom made.

surviving or at the least retaining sanity.

You don't survive or retain your sanity in the face of a Lovecraftian being. Period.

aleph

Arcane
Games like Amnesia are fun, but the no combat thing where you just have to run away gets old.

Wait what?

Are you sure you want "Lovecraftian" games, or just games in which you shoot tentacle monsters?

Perhaps the likes of you are the reason why true Lovecraftian games are seldom made.

surviving or at the least retaining sanity.

You don't survive or retain your sanity in the face of a Lovecraftian being. Period.

Attitudes like yours are the reason there are no lovecraftian games.

zwanzig_zwoelf

I wouldn't mind a Lovecraft-inspired RPG set in Nazi Germany, that copies the dialogue style and b/w color scheme from Call of Cthulhu movie.
In such a game, I would like to have little to no combat. Focus more on exploration, drowning in the atmosphere of paranoia even in the very beginning, when your only enemy is your own stupidity, because there is no such thing as quest marker.

Alas, kwans would be butthurt, cuz NAZIS, NO VO, NO COMBAT WTF. No one would make such a game.

Telengard

Arcane
People have tried, they don't usually sell that well. And in a market based around copycats, a previous game with high sales is kind of a necessity.

Shadow of the Comet
Prisoner of Ice
Anchorhead
Dark Corners of the Earth
The Wasted Land
Necronomicon

I suppose you can also count the Alone in the Dark series.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Good lovecraftian game would require some unorthodox approach so tough luck in this day and age

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I guess it's kind of hard to translate "unspeakable horrors" from text media to a visual media.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Attitudes like yours are the reason there are no lovecraftian games.

And nothing of value is lost.

You want an authentic Lovecraftian experience and be fucked shitless by the cosmic insanity? Go read Lovecraft study science.

you would have to come up with some gameplay mechanics/puzzles/story instead of just saying, "set in nazi germany!..in black and white!"

A man once drove his boat into cthulu's face and knocked him out so it is possible to prevail against these things.

zwanzig_zwoelf

you would have to come up with some gameplay mechanics/puzzles/story instead of just saying, "set in nazi germany!..in black and white!"

A man once drove his boat into cthulu's face and knocked him out so it is possible to prevail against these things.
I didn't think about any gameplay mechanics, but I always imagined it as a Dark Corners of the Earth type of gameplay, specifically: scene where you have to escape from the hotel, any scene that involved puzzles.

Except without combat.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
DCotE gameplay fucking sucks though

It was only mildly entertaining when it focused on ripping off Shadow over Innsmouth

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
quake-review5.jpg

:troll:

aleph

Arcane
"Darkness within" is lovecraftian and quite good

You want an authentic Lovecraftian experience and be fucked shitless by the cosmic insanity? Go read Lovecraft study science.

So edgy.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Not really trolling very much, since Sandy Petersen (aka the guy that literally wrote the book on Lovecraftian games when he was at Chaosium) did a bunch of levels for Quake (and Doom and Doom 2).

He also worked at Ensemble, which may have been...less inspired by Lovecraft than when he was at Id, but the guy's still a pretty cool video game designer.

A user named cat

Scratches was also quite Lovecraftian. As was Eternal Darkness for Gamecube.
The sole CoC game we got, a survival horror FPS was quite well done.
It was listed already but way to overlook Shadow of the Comet. That was the real CoC we got.

DCoTE was good up until it went full-on run 'n' gunner, then turned to absolute shit. All those delays, revisions and Bethesda publisher taint didn't help, and probably influenced that terrible change of pace the game took. What wasted potential, if only it had strictly been an adventure game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Y'all also forgot to mention Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened, which is also Cthulhu-themed, but without the actual CoC brand.

Also, as mentioned previously, the biggest problem when it comes to making a proper CoC game is that it's fucking hard to do. You have to properly combine mystery, survival, UNSPEAKABLE HORRORS, history, esotericism and being alone against impossible odds. Pulling off a proper lovecraftian experience really requires some top notch creativity and weird design, not to mention you're likely to be eaten alive by fans and lorefags who won't like your offering.

I guess it's kind of hard to translate "unspeakable horrors" from text media to a visual media.

I think Dark Corners managed that pretty nicely at some points, with all the everpresent darkness and screen blurring/shaking. Getting chased by the shoggoth around the refinery, the prologue encounter with the Yith, or some of the "hidden" places with deep ones jumping across rooftops in Innsmouth to name a few were really well done from a lovecraftian pov.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
"Darkness within" is lovecraftian and quite good

So edgy.

I seek edges like a Hound of Tindalos seeks sharp angles. Speaking of which, I'm sure a vidya game can do those Lovecraftian "impossible geometries" justice.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
BTW, the Half Life series is actually one of the more authentic Lovecraftian games. Here is what Half Life's writer Marc Laidlaw has to say about HL:

The Lovecraftian influence is buried pretty deep in Half-Life—perhaps you can spot it in the sense we try to create of mankind being a tiny speck in a vast cosmos. The most Lovecraftian passage is probably Dr. Breen’s speech at the end of Half-Life 2, when he is trying to entice Eli with glimpses of the wonders he has been shown by the Combine. This sort of teasing view of things beyond imagining is one of Lovecraft’s techniques, on display most clearly in “The Whisperer in Darkness.”

And if I may guess, G-man is the Nyarlathotep of the HL universe.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
BTW, the Half Life series is actually one of the more authentic Lovecraftian games.
The mention of Half Life reminded me of an episode of the Civil Protection machinima (made by the same guy who made Freeman's Mind) which is made in the HL2 engine. It picks up after the 6 min mark.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Combat/fighting your way through the game just doesnt Fit to a lovecraftian experience.

You guys need to read some of the Lovecraftian fiction that Robert Howard wrote.

A perfect example would be "The Hoofed Thing". It starts off as a typical Lovecraftian horror story with the hero becoming the acquaintance of a foreign scholar who seems to know many things about forbidden subjects.

But then it veers off into Howardian ass-kicking when the hero decides that, rather than go insane or meekly submit to the eldritch forces arrayed against him, he's going take a dusty heirloom sword off the wall and start hacking apart some monstrosities from the Elder Void.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom