Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, what will be Obsidian's excuse from now on?

Theldaran

Liturgist
Obsidian has been a tragic company, always with dreams much more expansive than the budgets they have. They have been on the verge of going away forever once.

Enter POE, and now POE2. Apparently the press loves POE2; not much to us, but the press holds the power, in some ways. They have been giving it 10/10s. POE2 is one of Steam's current best sellers. I guess Obsidian's curse has been lifted? Does the press pay attention to them now?

What this means is, they can't cry now saying "this game turned out shit because the budget wasn't enough". I know POE2's budget has been limited, but as Obsidian gains more and more power, their future releases might as well be well funded.

This means either we'll get amazing games in the future, or maybe Obsidian grows complacent and they become a mainstream developer. What do you think is more likely?

DexRiwus

Novice
Everyone capable of doing cool shit left Obsidian so, taking into account their upper-management, upcoming games will probably end up being nu-Bioware level (shit). Glad POE happened, though, CRPGs in cool different settings started popping out everywhere.

Last edited:

Egosphere

Arcane
This means either we'll get amazing games in the future, or maybe Obsidian grows complacent and they become a mainstream developer. What do you think is more likely?

We will not be getting amazing games in the future from them, imo. I think the quality is on a downward trajectory from now on. They don't have the funds to become a popamole monger either. The third, and most likeliest, option is that they will release 1/2 more games, which will be either bland ( at best ) or pretty bad ( due to exodus of talent from the company ) and close down thereafter.

Jokzore

Arbiter
If the great culture wars have taught us anything it's that there's no shortage of excuses people can/will use to justify their own incompetence.

Just as you think they've blown through all the usuals they'll surprise you with a new scapegoat ripe for the slaughter.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
If the Cainarsky project doesn't implode, they'll probably shift from trying to be Bioware with slightly better writing to trying to be Bethesda with slightly better writing. How long that can last under Feargus' Wild Ride , only God knows.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
With Obsidian it's really always mostly been the excuses their fans make for them rather than what they themselves have said. Physician, heal thyself!

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
They have been giving it 10/10s. POE2 is one of Steam's current best sellers.

It's selling so well that the game decided to take a break and drop on spot 23, allowing the poorer competition like D:OS 2 to rise up on spot 10, while having a price tag of only 44.44$, even tho it was released 1 year ago:lol:

Holy shit this game is a fucking failure. Hey Infinitron, do you think this weekend will be the one that will truly make PoE 2 shine?:lol::lol::lol:

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Out of 10 games or so they made they literally made like 2 that were overall popular here(only 1 I personally liked which was FNV, the other being MOTB which I couldn't get into).

I guess Kotor 2 has some fans here but personally I wasn't a big fan.

Point is most of their work has never been good or even popular here, people are just nostalgic to them because of Black Isle.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
They will contact Bethesda in order to create New Vegas 2 with the Fallout 4 engine and all the hypocrites on this forum who cry "popamole" in every thread will proclaim it the best masterpiece of all times. Oh, it will be released broken in a worse state than FO4 and will never be entirely fixed, and metacritic will bomb this game due to bugs. Thus the whole internet will keep pestering us with "Fallout New Vegas 2 is so underrated" threads.

PS: I am growing old.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Point is most of their work has never been good

Yeah, it's always been mediocre.

But at least New Vegas was good, and NWN2 was a huge improvement over NWN1 (but that's not much of an achievement considering NWN1 is the worst RPG ever made).

No, the worst RPG ever made was Oblivion, get your facts straight. NWN1 main campaign sucked but it was a functional game with great graphics and optimization for its time, and a good system and creation kit for making your own adventures. Oblviion was just pure shit straight from the sewer and even mods couldn't fix this abomination.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

But at least New Vegas was good, and NWN2 was a huge improvement over NWN1 (but that's not much of an achievement considering NWN1 is the worst RPG ever made).

No, the worst RPG ever made was Oblivion, get your facts straight. NWN1 main campaign sucked but it was a functional game with great graphics and optimization for its time, and a good system and creation kit for making your own adventures. Oblviion was just poor shit straight from the sewer and even mods couldn't fix this abomination.

NWN1 and great graphics in the same sentence, uau, just uau:lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They will contact Bethesda in order to create New Vegas 2 with the Fallout 4 engine and all the hypocrites on this forum who cry "popamole" in every thread will proclaim it the best masterpiece of all times.
Bethesda will never work with Obsidian again.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

No, the worst RPG ever made was Oblivion, get your facts straight. NWN1 main campaign sucked but it was a functional game with great graphics and optimization for its time, and a good system and creation kit for making your own adventures. Oblviion was just poor shit straight from the sewer and even mods couldn't fix this abomination.

How old are you kid? Back in 2002 those graphics were really good for an RPG. I don't know at what age you began gaming, 2010 or so i suppose, but 2 years earlier from NWN we were happy to get 2D DND games like Baldur's Gate II, and 3rd person action games looked like shit. Go play some other RPGs from 2002 and tell me that anything had better 3D graphics than NWN.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

How old are you kid? Back in 2002 those graphics were really good for an RPG. I don't know at what age you began gaming, 2010 or so i suppose, but 2 years earlier from NWN we were happy to get 2D DND games like Baldur's Gate II, and 3rd person action games looked like shit. Go play some other RPGs from 2002 and tell me that anything had better 3D graphics than NWN.

Nwn has always been regarded as an ugly game, even then I remember people on ironworks bashing it left and right. It was butt ugly then and it's even uglier now, especially compared to the beautiful art style from BG or even Fallout or Planescape.

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

NWN always looked like shit. The only redeeming aspect of that game was the tool-set.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Back in 2002 those graphics were really good for an RPG. I don't know at what age you began gaming, 2010 or so i suppose, but 2 years earlier from NWN we were happy to get 2D DND games like Baldur's Gate II, and 3rd person action games looked like shit. Go play some other RPGs from 2002 and tell me that anything had better 3D graphics than NWN.
"NWN has great graphics" was a forced meme from game journalists. Morrowind had better environment art, Gothic 2 was more palatable, Arx Fatalis beats them all. Granted, NWN was limited by the necessity of using tiles for easier level creation, they still made some bad stylistic decisions.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

No, the worst RPG ever made was Oblivion, get your facts straight. NWN1 main campaign sucked but it was a functional game with great graphics and optimization for its time, and a good system and creation kit for making your own adventures. Oblviion was just pure shit straight from the sewer and even mods couldn't fix this abomination.

At least Oblivion, as bad as it is, still has somewhat bearable gameplay.

NWN is just slow and boring and uninteresting and lacks everything that made the Infinity Engine games good.

Only redeeming feature of NWN is the toolset, but modules made with the NWN toolset are good despite NWN's terrible engine, not because of it, and they'd be 10 times as good as they are if they ran on an actually decent game.
NWN's D&D 3E ruleset is great, but the actual gameplay implementation is terrible. Slowest and most boring RtwP-combat ever, no companion control, wait 5 seconds to unlock doors and remove traps, resting also has you watch a progress bar being filled for 10 seconds, everything in this game is designed to make you waste as much time as possible while being as unengaging as possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom