Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, what will be Obsidian's excuse from now on?

Unwanted

Bladeract

It's Neckbeard Shitlord. Again.
Dumbfuck
Blaming the fans is usually the last step for game studios. They will make some Oblivion/FO3 ripoff that fails horribly and then do so shortly before closing to ensure they have a place in some other company later on.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Back in 2002 those graphics were really good for an RPG. I don't know at what age you began gaming, 2010 or so i suppose, but 2 years earlier from NWN we were happy to get 2D DND games like Baldur's Gate II, and 3rd person action games looked like shit. Go play some other RPGs from 2002 and tell me that anything had better 3D graphics than NWN.
"NWN has great graphics" was a forced meme from game journalists. Morrowind had better environment art, Gothic 2 was more palatable, Arx Fatalis beats them all. Granted, NWN was limited by the necessity of using tiles for easier level creation, they still made some bad stylistic decisions.

I don't care about game journalists, i have my own eyes and i played it at release, alongside the games you mentioned.

You shouldn't compare NWN graphics with first person games like Morrowind, because NWN was supposed to show more models at the screen and a larger area and quite frankly better animations. And Morrowind ran like TOTAL SHIT back in the day. I owned a P3 666mhz and a Geforce 2 Ti 64MB back then, and while NWN ran like a dream with all settings maxed out, Morrowind ran like GARBAGE and its animations were the stuff of nightmares. Gothic 2 ran well but its textures were shitty, and Arx Fatalis fooled everyone because it had bump mapping, but it had close corridors that were more easy to display so it could afford some more detail.

NWN had the best TEXTURES of all RPGs back then. Great quality especially at 64MB settings. Even today the textures hold up, contrary to garbage like Morrowind. Even Oblvion had worse textures than NWN. Morrowind landscapes only looked good from afar, up close they were shitty.

You people are blinded by nostalgia, seriously.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Back in 2002 those graphics were really good for an RPG. I don't know at what age you began gaming, 2010 or so i suppose, but 2 years earlier from NWN we were happy to get 2D DND games like Baldur's Gate II, and 3rd person action games looked like shit. Go play some other RPGs from 2002 and tell me that anything had better 3D graphics than NWN.
"NWN has great graphics" was a forced meme from game journalists. Morrowind had better environment art, Gothic 2 was more palatable, Arx Fatalis beats them all. Granted, NWN was limited by the necessity of using tiles for easier level creation, they still made some bad stylistic decisions.

I don't care about game journalists, i have my own eyes and i played it at release, alongside the games you mentioned.

You shouldn't compare NWN graphics with first person games like Morrowind, because NWN was supposed to show more models at the screen and a larger area and quite frankly better animations. And Morrowind ran like TOTAL SHIT back in the day. I owned a P3 666mhz and a Geforce 2 Ti 64MB back then, and while NWN ran like a dream with all settings maxed out, Morrowind ran like GARBAGE and its animations were the stuff of nightmares. Gothic 2 ran well but its textures were shitty, and Arx Fatalis fooled everyone because it had bump mapping, but it had close corridors that were more easy to display so it could afford some more detail.

NWN had the best TEXTURES of all RPGs back then. Great quality especially at 64MB settings. Even today the textures hold up, contrary to garbage like Morrowind. Even Oblvion had worse textures than NWN. Morrowind landscapes only looked good from afar, up close they were shitty.

You people are blinded by nostalgia, seriously.

Best textures doesn't mean good art style, you can't make a great detailed turd look like a chocolate cake,it's still a turd, sorry but the game is ugly as sin.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
"New Vegas was Obsidian's best game" validates the comment I just read in another thread that the majority of people here are closet popamolers.

Care to elaborate? New Vegas was indeed Obsidian's best game. That it is an action-RPG is irrelevant, if all the more RPG-ey games they made were utter shite.

And there is nothing wrong with playing non-RPG games. Liking non-RPG games doesn't mean that you don't like RPGs as well.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
"New Vegas was Obsidian's best game" validates the comment I just read in another thread that the majority of people here are closet popamolers.

Care to elaborate? New Vegas was indeed Obsidian's best game. That it is an action-RPG is irrelevant, if all the more RPG-ey games they made were utter shite.

And there is nothing wrong with playing non-RPG games. Liking non-RPG games doesn't mean that you don't like RPGs as well.
The storyline was awful. You're given the option of choosing one of three factions which all have identical quests and all end in a slight variation of one another. The PC isn't invested in the story in any way as the story follows the generic Saturday Morning Cartoon "just an average joe tossed into an apocalyptic conflict" trope.

The gameplay is abysmal and the engine is the ugliest and clunkiest thing ever created. No game of any genre should have ever been subjected to that disease-ridden outhouse of an engine.

The only redeemable qualities of the game were some of the companions and DLC. The sidequests were also good.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
No, the worst RPG ever made was Oblivion, get your facts straight. NWN1 main campaign sucked but it was a functional game with great graphics and optimization for its time, and a good system and creation kit for making your own adventures. Oblviion was just pure shit straight from the sewer and even mods couldn't fix this abomination.

There are plenty of games worse then either oblivion or NWN 1, go download restricted area or metalheart if you wanna play something that's actually complete trash with 0 redeeming features.

That being said yes NWN 1 was terrible, I'm not sure if oblivion was worse they both offended me in different ways. For me the main difference is I was expecting NWN 1 to be good or at least decent since I didn't mind the BG games. Oblivion I knew I wouldn't care for since I wasn't a fan of daggerfall or morrowind.

As for NWN graphics, I'm generally not a fan of early 3d(mid 90's- 2003 or 2004 when it started getting better). I wouldn't say NWN look 'bad' for 2002, but even back then playing early 2000's 3D rpg's like NWN, Morrowind, soulbringer, Summoner, Darkstone(I'm aware some of those are shitty diablo clones they're just the first 3D rpg's from that period that came to mind). I remember thinking how much nicer the games would of been in ISO format with 2d backgrounds like BG, Fallout, Arcanum ect.

Take a look at TOEE, mediocre game but would anyone in their right mind prefer the look of Morrowind or NWN 1 to TOEE?

Last edited:

Big Wrangle

I only played 10 minutes through Neverwinter Nights, but outside of some of the portraits the game's art direction was generally lackluster. It didn't use the tech to create any striking or interesting visuals.

Trash Player

Scholar
Back to where it was 7 years ago: the limbo of living off one publisher after another with licensing games. Maybe they will burn enough bridges soon.
What a shame, a leap like Larian isn't neccessary but Feargus, Feargus never changes.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Everyone capable of doing cool shit left Obsidian .
:timcain:
In Tim and Leo we trust.
... until they release Project Indiana.
Some months ago I had this horrible fever dream wherein Tim Cain gave a talk and said Fallout was too complicated, then praised EA FIFA-style character sheets for their simplistic, visually appealing use of geometric shapes.

Thankfully that was just a figment of my imagination and definitely didn't happen irl.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Some months ago I had this horrible fever dream wherein Tim Cain gave a talk and said Fallout was too complicated, then praised EA FIFA-style character sheets for their simplistic, visually appealing use of geometric shapes.
00dfGBv.gif

wY680RA.gif

Grab the Codex by the pussy
  1. It is the players tradiitionalists' fault. They are holding us back with these BG clones. If only we could do a historic game, we would achieve greatness.
  2. It was Feargus Urquhart's fault!
  3. It was the dangerhairs narrative designers' fault.
  4. I can assure you that the next DCL cash grab will be glorious. Keep giving us your money. *chuckles*

Erikolaz

Educated
They will need to get used to living in the shadow of Piranha Bytes. Sawyer must bend the knee to Pankratz.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom