Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So what's the scoop on this game?

epeli

Arcane
Elemental_wanamingo most animals and plants in the wild respawn once you have left the area for 1-2 hours. That's the usual respawning deal, but there are special enemy spawning mechanics in the endgame at Deep Caverns. Some of them happen at a much faster rate and/or while you are still in the same area, but there awa ways to avoid/disable such spawning mechanics.

Zetor the burrowers outside Arke no longer respawn.

The only build:

giphy.gif

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
A really great cRPG, tho its absolute weakest points are story, C&C and writing. Those could have used a bit of extra flavour and touchups.

Fallout and Underrail kind of reserved roles it seems. Fallout is mostly all about the story and so on, while Underrail is definitely about the combat, which is the best I've played in a cRPG yet, even clearly surpassing D:OS

Snufkin

Augur
I like combat in Underrail but it is in no way better then Knights of the Chalice or Temple of Elemental Evil. It is close tho.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
The thing about this game that I really liked was the atmosphere. Very creepy, always a sense of foreboding, danger around every corner.
What helped with that was in fact no companions.
Companions make you feel less alone. This game, in my mind, THRIVES because you are alone out there. It is dangerous. And the only person looking out for you, in the end, is you.

Severian Silk

I like combat in Underrail but it is in no way better then Knights of the Chalice or Temple of Elemental Evil. It is close tho.
Those games feature parties of characters. Can't really compare them directly. Though I agree.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
-Is this winning GOTY more a testament to the game's strengths or people's disappointment with AOD?

I'll necro this thread and question:

I checked the raw data for people who had given 1-5 grade to both AoD and UR.

There were 349 entries grading both. Of those, 105 gave a better grade to AoD, 100 gave better grade to UR and 144 graded them equal.
The average among this sample for AoD was 4.172 and for UR 4.163, respectively. As is evident by a quick look, the difference between grades is statistically insignificant, if we use, say a paired t-test (observed p=0.89).
That Underrail was selected as GOTY and it was not declared a tie is only testament people's statistics illiteracy, nothing more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom