Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So what's your favorite RPG endgame?

Cholo

Arcane
Ever since the Top 50 CRPG list has been tallied up, I've been trying to play my way through all of the classics I never picked up or just never finished. One identical trait I noticed about all of the playthroughs I've abandoned was that my interest always peters out at the same spot- the endgame.

This got me thinking, were there any endgames that really felt like a strong conclusion in an RPG? So that's what I want to ask the Codex. What is it about endgames that makes a player stop caring? What are elements of a good endgame? If you wanted to put together your own RPG, what would an ideal endgame look like? What other games would you draw inspiration from? Was there any one RPG experience that stood out as having a particularly strong endgame?

Plenty, if not most of the good RPGs are let down by weak or just boring endgame stages; Gothic II or Deus Ex immediately come to mind. There's a sort of similar thread about this from back in 2010, but its focused on games with shitty ending stages. I'm more interested in seeing what people actually like about them.

I can't pick out one in particular, but here are some parts of endgames which I enjoyed:

• Alpha Protocol: Everything that the game did well, the endgame did well. Everything the game sucked at, the endgame did too. Depending on the choices you made much earlier on, the hotel room scene would change, and once you were in, NPCs could be present or missing, and would have different goals. Replaying for the Thornton Inc. ending was actually a lot of fun and had a big payoff here. I liked the hotel room scene itself, it gave the player a sense of finality. The bosses were crappy, and the level design were nothing special, but I though the good really outweighed the bad in this game.

• Fallout: Not sure if the Cathedral strictly counts as an endgame, since you can leave at any time and go back to other sidequests. The atmosphere was perfect, the variety of approaches lent themselves to replayability, the Master could be dealt with in a number of different ways, it wasn't reliant on combat but could be beaten with stealth or persuasion. It rewarded exploration, and maintained a dark, bleak, mysterious mood which capped off the Fallout experience perfectly. I think this one might be my favorite.

• VTM: Bloodlines: Not a controversial statement here, but I didn't like the endgame stages one bit. Massive let down when compared with the first third of the game, but that's be discussed at length. What I did like was the taxi cab ride. It's not the first time you take a taxi ride, but it's the first time you actually experience the ride in first person perspective, which signals an end to the game. The conversion with the mysterious cab driver was good, and I liked how he responded to all the different decisions you could make, weighing the pros and cons.

• Jagged Alliance 2: Even though it's not the only way you can beat JA2, the assault on Meduna was a blast! The first time I took on the bloodcat zoo was a real “oh shit oh shit!” moment and forced me to really get creative. The zones with dug in tanks and bunkers gave you an opportunity to go wild with all of the less common ordinance you'd been collecting the whole game. The urban combat and the hedge maze were interesting ,and the final assault on the palace was intense. The unique merc reactions to Dedriana's death were a cherry on top of an already excellent experience.

• Dragon Age Origins: Never actually finished this one, but there's a scene right before the end where everybody from you party is AI controlled and engaged in one of the larger fights in the game. There was something really satisfying about this, after going through all previous fights with only a couple members of your crew at a time. The whole game you had been leveling up and equiping your party but you never get to see what they're capable of all together until now. I wish other games would incorporate this as it gives a real sense of accomplishment and finality.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Most of the Gold Box games had good end games, but then the GB games tended to be rather short, so they didn't overstay their welcome. Ironically enough it's the weakest (IMO) of the fantasy GB games - Gateway to the Savage Frontier - that had the most unique (in a good way) endgame, when you have to travel at least four battle maps before reaching the "End Boss", with no resting in between.
And Pools of Darkness is one of the most brutal end game battles, or rather a series of three battles.

The Magic Candle had a nice and quite original end game where you had to perform a very elaborate ritual to trap the "Foozle".

Ultima IV's end game was memorable; I was stomped at the very final puzzle. The whole Stygian Abyss was pretty good compared to the boring overland and sea battles. I still recall havin to fight clones of my own party.

Icewind Dale: brutal end game against Poquelin (sp?), and then the surprise twist as narrated by David Ogden Stiers.

A good end game should either be something novel that you haven't seen before in the game, or the quality (like attention to detail, combat difficulty) should be a notch or three higher than the rest of the game.

One of the worst end game was Knights of Legend. After 17 missions of fighting only one group of enemies, the 18th mission is also a fight against only one type of enemy.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yeah, I've noticed a lot of WRPGs tend to have weak endgames. Especially if you know the system and how to become strong, usually the final boss isn't strong enough to compensate for that.

Fallout, I'd say, has the best endgame. I played Fallout 2 before 1, because, as a teenager, I heard it had a lot of funny jokes, and as a result, I always felt that Fallout 2 was better. However, after playing through Fallout 1 while older, I realized just how damn well it pulls things off. I never felt bored during the entire game and the end game conflict is meaningful and interesting. Not challenging, unless you get a point-blank shot of Minigun to your face, but the atmosphere was perfect.

haraw

Educated
I enjoyed MotB's endgame and even felt obligated to play it to the end to see what happens to your companions. Somehow the whole ending sequence felt very tight.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I can't think of a favorite endgame at the moment but as long as it's not just endless hordes of enemies I'm fine. Too many RPGs do that, just throwing loads and loads of enemies at the player in endgame. Drakensang anyone? Ugh.

V_K

Arcane
Seconding Magic Candle, The Summoning and DHoU.
Also Challenge of the Five Realms - at the final stages you have army units join your party in a castle takeover, and the final fight had a MC-like twist to it.
Kult: Heretic Kingdoms had a nice ending twist, making the game worthy of the "80th lvl troll" title.

Dorateen

Arcane
Crusaders of the Dark Savant. It was a bittersweet victory, and the ultimate in delayed gratification, which led to 10 years of waiting until concluding business with the arch-antagonist.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Going to go out on a limb and say that the BG ToB endgame had a solid, epic feel. Especially if you had followed your char all the way from the 4 hit point beginnings

Lhynn

Arcane
Alpha protocol endgame was good, baldurs gate 2 endgame was good, Stalker call of prypiat was good (Fuck you, someone said JA2 and that is not an RPG either), diablo 1 endgame was very well done.
I also enjoyed exile II crystal of souls, in that game you could defy the most dangerous place in the underground to try and climb back to the surface, if i remember correctly it had high level mage mental duels and end game conditions.

Thats all i can think of for the moment.

jdinatale

Cipher
Baldur's Gate 1's end game was pretty insufferable. After 45+ hours of exploring the wilderness, you have to slog through a dull city.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Regardless of its quality, a player's experience of the endgame it often encumbered by a weariness of the core game play systems and a desire to move on to new challenges.

Doesn't help that RPG developers are usually strapped for resources and the endgame is the point where they "run out of ink", so to speak.

dragonbait

Augur
Gateway to the Savage Frontier. I think it's probably my favorite game ending ever. It was well done, visually and combat-wise.

ring_of_reversal.png

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Deus Ex. The way they introduced the final choices as you went deeper into the facility. Also the openness of it and the fact they avoided a final boss.

Second PST as well.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
King's Field 1

The game is a low fantasy setting throughout, and never gives any indication of sci-fi elements, so when you teleport to the final area and it is a series of wire frame hallways in what looks like outerspace, it's a real surprise. There's never any explanations for why the area looks like that, which just amplifies the sense of mystery the whole game has. There's also a series of very tough fights leading up to the final area that force you to use all the max level spells and special items you've stored up, which is satisfying.

Fallout 1 as mentioned already.

Kotor 2.

Deus Ex.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Fallout had excellent pacing and the end felt like a nice, building crescendo, not an endless flogging.

New Vegas did it well too, in my opinion. Okay yes, the gamebryo engine shootout at the very, very end was a little shit, but the whole Yes Man checklist thing to make sure you traveled the world, and the assassination, and what you do with Mr. House... that was all good stuff.

I remember liking Dragon Age: Awakening's final dungeon, boss and story moments a lot as well, but the details are hazy now.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Best lategame: Planescape Torment
But that Curst dungeon crawling was really horrible.

I thought a bit what endgame do I remember to be awesome. I think it was Fallout 2, when you get all the stuff collected for the tanker and head to Enclave. The ending of the cutscene still gives me goosebumps.

Erebus

Arcane
Mask of the Betrayer.

While the possible conclusions to the story are satisfying (except for the ties most of them have with the OC), I'd say the endgame could have been better. Once we enter Kelemvor's city, everything feels rather rushed. The fight against the Wall and the fights to regain your soul simply aren't very interesting. The fact that most of your companions aren't with you after the Wall is annoying and limit your strategies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom