Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So what's your favorite RPG endgame?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Not an RPG in the strictest sense of the word (unless you can count an upgradeable starship as a character) but I still remember Star Control 2's ending fondly.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Fallout New Vegas. Not the actual battle at the bridge/dam whatever the fuck it was, that shit was terrible. But the quests that lead directly up to the battle, either for Caesar or the NCR. There was a nice feeling of escalation and a variety of ways to handle all the possible outcomes. Also the whole Lonely Road DLC, while it did focus on combat too much (not exactly the engine's high point), there was something satisfying about finally confronting the illusive courier, killing him and blowing up the capitalist NCR retards with a nuclear explosion.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Summoner.
The ability to say 'fuck it, I don't want to become a god, and fuck you faggots too, enjoy your lives, I'm heading home.'

Xeon

Augur
MotB's ending was great but I hated the very last fight and the following ending cut scene because of it in an evil playthrough.

You fight Gann right after you become a god IIRC and you are supposed to be really powerful and can devour anything and whatever but you can't even devour him with one attack, I tried to devour him which I don't think is needed but it should have been an instant death but I only damaged him and it turned to a regular fight instead of a judgment.

After that you get a cut scene of how all the gods are trying to put a stop to you before you devour all life or something it kinda felt hollow after that fight

I don't know if this counts but I really like Fallout 2's end game just because you can continue playing also a bonus points for the flavor texts of all the changes your actions made. Don't know if Skyrim counts for the same reason since its a sandboxy or something.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Morrowind is a game whose ending was both bad and good.
Bad because the final areas felt rushed and the fight against Dagoth Ur was a letdwon since he tended to fall into the lava.
Good because there was this feeling that maybe Dagoth Ur was not such a bad guy after all, and you never find out excactly what did happen on Red Mountain all those years ago.

eremita

Savant
MotB - Endgame writing was great, although Kelemvor's argument "Nope, I'm a God and i say the Wall is better than no-Wall. End of discussion. Now off with you." was a little bit disappointing... But that shit inside your head? Pure awesomeness! Too bad everything else concerning endgame was fucking shit. It get the job done, but it was short and very poorly designed. Seemed like they run out of money/time...

eremita

Savant
Fallout New Vegas. Not the actual battle at the bridge/dam whatever the fuck it was, that shit was terrible. But the quests that lead directly up to the battle, either for Caesar or the NCR. There was a nice feeling of escalation and a variety of ways to handle all the possible outcomes. Also the whole Lonely Road DLC, while it did focus on combat too much (not exactly the engine's high point), there was something satisfying about finally confronting the illusive courier, killing him and blowing up the capitalist NCR retards with a nuclear explosion.
You killed Ulysses you heartless twat?!

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I'll go with PS:T and MotB. They're both pretty compact and wrap things up in a very satisfying manner, even though the gameplay isn't that great in either of the games.

Lemming42

Arcane
As everyone already said, Fallout's endgame is fantastic (assuming you play it properly by doing Mariposa first and THEN the Cathedral, otherwise it sucks). I really liked the Enclave Oil Rig from Fallout 2 as well, even though it barely made sense.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Daggerfall yet - the ending itself is really bad (magically warp back to that one place after touching the Numidium and get an atrociously shit FMV) but the entire Aetherius zone was really fun, unfair jumping puzzles aside.

I always liked the final boss of Legend of Grimrock, only because it's so retarded and comes out of nowhere.

I was going to say Deus Ex, but actually that had the all time worst endgame ever.

Also if we're allowed jRPGs, EarthBound gets an obvious mention as well as pretty much every single Final Fantasy game, or at least FF1 - FF9. The ending dungeons always managed to feel pretty climactic, even if they were awful in terms of gameplay.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Not actually an ending, but a moment near the end of Arcanum:
Where you have been playing the game nearly through its entirety being told you are the Chosen One; the reincarnated spirit of a great hero from the ancient past. Then you run into the elderly great hero who had survived through the ages via magic and suddenly come to realize that you are just some poor sod who was at the wrong place at the wrong time, you are not some Chosen One in any way, the Church and prophecy pushing you onwards are complete BS. It was a mind blowing twist for me and so outside the norm in RPGs. It caused a cognitive dissonance of sorts, and the player could no longer be sure what was true in anything he or she had learned up until that moment. Man, I loved that.
[/spoiler.

Cazzeris

As everyone already said, Fallout's endgame is fantastic (assuming you play it properly by doing Mariposa first and THEN the Cathedral, otherwise it sucks).

What? Did I finished the game doing that on the wrong order?

It seems I have to play Fallout again...

Great.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
As everyone already said, Fallout's endgame is fantastic (assuming you play it properly by doing Mariposa first and THEN the Cathedral, otherwise it sucks).

Great.
You finished Fallout only once?

You don't like the fact you have to replay it?

And you use a vaultboy avatar?

WTF man???

Gremius

Augur
Planescape: Torment for me. Even after replaying it for the X time, the endgame including
sacrifice of my companions (well, most of them) and then to face the Transcended One itself
are still giving me chills.
I also liked Mask of the Betrayer and Deus Ex in that matter.

Cazzeris

Great.

WTF man???

I finished Fallout 1 for the 1st time only a month ago (I have so many old RPGs that I haven't played yet because I bought my PC a little time ago).

I love the fact I have to replay it. I was talking seriously when I said "great".
I really can't wait to see this "true ending" for Fallout and talk with the Master again.

And also I don't want to start Fallout 2 because it seems to be the last good Fallout game.
And if I play it, then there won't be more "new" Fallout games for me because Fallout Tactics doesn't look like Fallout 1 and 2.
:negative:

Tytus

Arcane
Best RPG Endgame? Must be Fable 3. Where you have to make hard choices. Be nice to the people and let them die in upcoming shadow demon invasion or be dick to them and save them.

OR.

You could just stand hours and hours like an asshole playing a shitty mini game to raise millions of gold and don't make any hard decision at all.

Best Endgame Ever! :takemyjewgold:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Great.

WTF man???

I finished Fallout 1 for the 1st time only a month ago (I have so many old RPGs that I haven't played yet because I bought my PC a little time ago).

I love the fact I have to replay it. I was talking seriously when I said "great".
I really can't wait to see this "true ending" for Fallout and talk with the Master again.

And also I don't want to start Fallout 2 because it seems to be the last good Fallout game.
And if I play it, then there won't be more "new" Fallout games for me because Fallout Tactics doesn't look like Fallout 1 and 2.
Go play FO2 man!

There are awesome games besides Fallout series.

hell bovine

Arcane
I would say Hordes of the Underdark, but unfortunately the fun endings got cut out of the final product. As it was at WotC's request and not the developer's choice, and because you can still read them in the toolset, they would get my vote.

Lemming42

Arcane

Great.

The ending is the same, but it does feel much more natural for the Cathedral to come last, since then your confrontation (or perhaps avoidance of) the Master is right at the very end and has much more meaning than if there's still Mariposa ahead of you. The game's story flows a little better if you play it in that order.

New Vegas is excellent, as long as you're not put off by the FPS mechanics and the horrible Bethesda engine. Fallout 3 is worth a try as well if you have nothing else to play - it's not really a Fallout game, but you might get a few laughs out of how amazingly wrong Bethesda got the Fallout setting and it does have its own moments as a standalone action-adventure game.

Cazzeris

Great.

WTF man???

Go play FO2 man!

There are awesome games besides Fallout series.

I know, now I'm playing PC FPS's; but classic Fallout games are very special franchise and it's sad to watch its end.

Fallout New Vegas is a great game.

I've already finished Fallout: New Vegas. I didn't know anything about RPG's when I played it, and I loved it because I enjoyed it so much and I started playing old cRPG's (I wanted to discover Fallout's beginning) thanks to it.

It was a very interesting moment when I discovered who were the NCR people in the 1st Fallout ending.

Great.

The ending is the same, but it does feel much more natural for the Cathedral to come last, since then your confrontation (or perhaps avoidance of) the Master is right at the very end and has much more meaning than if there's still Mariposa ahead of you.

New Vegas is excellent, as long as you're not put off by the FPS mechanics and the horrible Bethesda engine. Fallout 3 is worth a try as well if you have nothing else to play - it's not really a Fallout game, but you might get a few laughs out of how amazingly wrong Bethesda got the Fallout setting and it does have its own moments as a standalone action-adventure game.

I have also played Fallout 3 (I'm ashamed of it) and I thought it was an AWESOME bug-hiking simulator.
It's actually shit, but I spent many hours installing mods and watching the results

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom