Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So what's your favorite RPG endgame?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Fallout New Vegas. Not the actual battle at the bridge/dam whatever the fuck it was, that shit was terrible. But the quests that lead directly up to the battle, either for Caesar or the NCR. There was a nice feeling of escalation and a variety of ways to handle all the possible outcomes. Also the whole Lonely Road DLC, while it did focus on combat too much (not exactly the engine's high point), there was something satisfying about finally confronting the illusive courier, killing him and blowing up the capitalist NCR retards with a nuclear explosion.
You killed Ulysses you heartless twat?!

Guy wasn't even compelling to begin with.
He's ranting and raving in the midst of a shitty shooter zombie city got me really annoyed.
No, I didn't come for him cause he took away ED-E, Obsidian. I wanted to reach him so I can just put a bullet to his head to shut him up.
That DLC is overrated.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Also, Betrayal at Krondor had a pretty boss story, and a pretty boss ending. Getting to play as Pug in the last few chapters was also pretty cool.

Tigranes

Arcane
Alpha Protocol's endgame is far and above one of the best. It has more C&C than the rest of the game, drawing together all your C&C from previous hubs and missions. It also hides many caches of sometimes mutually exclusive information about the darkest secrets of the plot and the characters. It has many of the main cast come back for a final bash. Gameplay-wise, too, it's not a shoddy throwing together of bloated HP enemies but features some of the most entertaining combat challenges from the helicopter rocket to the Darcy set-piece. It is superlative - even if you hated the main game's gameplay itself, that's sort of besides the point.

FNV's is also good in combining memorable moments with dramatic pacing and C&C/closure, though by that point you can shoot anybody from ten miles away. Torment's endgame sucks gameplay-wise, but narratively is superb, and again, is all about the moment. Fittingly, this is also the case with MOTB. I thought the endgames to BG1, BG2, IWD1, IWD2 were decent generally, at least as far as combat challenge goes.

Notably flawed endgames would include Arcanum, where you fight bloated enemies in the middle of nowhere and have rather anticlimactic encounters with some of the most famous villains / monsters in Arcanum history, and then find the Big Bad dude who comes out of nowhere and says LIFE IS SUFFERING ALL LIFE MUST END. And, obviously, every Piranha Bytes game ever.

veryalien

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
KOTOR. It gets very cinematic at the end. I really like how powerful you become and how you choose to respond to Malik.

KOTOR 2 had a butchered ending but it could have been great as well.

Exar Kun

Scholar
KOTOR. It gets very cinematic at the end. I really like how powerful you become and how you choose to respond to Malik.

KOTOR 2 had a butchered ending but it could have been great as well.

I don't agree that KOTOR 2 had a butchered ending, although the game was incomplete and a bit ambiguous at the end, it gave me the "middle chapter" feel for the story of the game series. Its pretty ironic how the game series turned out, with KOTOR being like Star Wars (simple, cliche story but very effectively told), KOTOR 2 feeling like ESB (better more complex story, better character development, darker, cliffhanger ending), and SW:TOR is like RoTJ (ewoks).....

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
The last mission of ME2 was pretty good, but I don't like the end game in the Mass Effect series. They allow you to continue playing after the credits but make it as if you didn't finish the last mission so no flavor dialog or extra content beside doing the DLCs I think.

The battle right before meeting Malik was a chore. You needed to disable computers or something while destroying the infinitely spawning robots. --edit-- Fighting Malik himself was kinda fun IIRC.

DemonKing

Arcane
ME and ME2 had pretty good endgames - I liked how you could get rid of the meddling council in ME and the ME2 endgame was simply epic (I still haven't finished my ME3 playthrough yet...)

Eye of the Beholder 2 had a great ending (although maybe it just seemed that way because of the crappy EOB 1 ending).

Pools of Darkness endgame sucked IMO as I never managed to get through all three waves of beholders/dracoliches etc

Not a CRPG but the original Wolfenstein level where you got to fight Adolf in a Mech suit has just gotta qualify.

Cadmus

Arcane
I usually like it when I become an unstoppable jugernaugt by the end of the game IF it means I have overcome a great challenge and if the mechanics are good. So I liked Gothic 2 (as far as I remember) I liked the Morrowind's ascension to godhood (because of the story) and such things. It didn't work very well in Risen where it was tedious instead of satisfactory, maybe because the game was easier than Gothic.

PST was amazing because that's exactly what I want in a game that has shit combat - a dialogue based ending with resolutions for my characters.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
For my vote, other than the ones suggested which were all good, Oblivions ending wasn't too bad. VtmB endings were all pretty good. Also, the System Shocks endings were all pretty awesome.

However, the best ending has to be the Fallout 1 ending, which showed the effect of your actions on the entire wasteland. This STRONGLY encouraged replaying to see both the best effects, and the worst. Suddenly you realized just how much effect seemingly random actions had on the future.

Also, I don't know if anyone remembers Blade Runner by Westwood, but I liked the endings on that game as well. Kinda fit the game.

Lhynn

Arcane
Endgame is not ending, its the final part of the game, how fun is it to play with your fully developed character, and most rpgs drop the ball there. Some by making it painfully easy or grindy, others by making it stupid and nonsensical, others by taking away player choice, or maybe by breaking combat if you picked the wrong things to upgrade and have limited resources. Endgames can suck in many ways, the OP is asking which one you loved or thought that did it best, i dont think hes interested in the final cutscene.

Demons Soul if you leave 1-2, 1-3 and 1-4 as your last areas and do them in one row. Boletaria Palace is fucking cool and that shit with Allant, Ostrava, Bior,Miralda, Old King Doran its like a fucking greek tragedy:thumbsup: and than nexus, Old one, real Allant and you stabb in the back that fucking Maiden:yeah: so fucking satisfying:5/5:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom