Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Someone explain FFXIV reboot to me

J1M

Arcane
So the game was launched as total shit, they let subscribers go for a year without paying because it was so bad, and now they released a video of the gameworld being destroyed... but they are asking for a 3rd chance?

Of course it is japan so every step of the way was just an excuse to make a short anime move:
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/news/article/end-of-an-era

Emily

Arcane
I am guessing they counted only on buzz world FF to sell and maintain.
Something that Elder scrolls mmo is going to do, by the looks of it.

Sul

Savant
Square is just giving them a new chance, but from what I heard on /v/ the new FFIV is even more a WoW-clone than before.
At least they know how to make trailers, that's for sure.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I got into the beta too, but the server's down on the site where you register your code, so it looks like I get to do some more waiting.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I wonder how smoothly it play on the PS3, could be a fun experience playing a fast paced mmorpg sitting on the couch.

Machocruz

Arcane
Problem with original FFXIV is that it was not a WoW clone, meaning it had very, very little content. You only had a handful of quests you could do over and over, and they were all uninteresting. Could only do story missions at certain intervals. Even if you don't care for the typical MMO sidequest grind, there were no emergent possibilities either, like Ultima Online, or any kind of fleshed out competitive aspect. There was nothing else to do. Oh, crafting. What fun. Interface was all sorts of convoluted and unintuitive. It felt like an unfinished game.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I have a female customer who is addicted to this shit like crack. She had me build her a custom gaming rig just for it a couple of years ago, and she keeps having me upgrade it over time to keep up with the increasingly heftier hardware requirements. She tried to explain to me how the whole reboot thing works but my brain glazed over while she was telling me.

Basically it's just an MMO for weeaboos and social butterflies I guess.

DraQ

Arcane
I have a female customer who is addicted to this shit like crack. She had me build her a custom gaming rig just for it a couple of years ago, and she keeps having me upgrade it over time to keep up with the increasingly heftier hardware requirements. She tried to explain to me how the whole reboot thing works but my brain glazed over while she was telling me.

A perfect testing ground for Langford's Basilisk, I'd imagine.
:obviously:

xilo3z

Educated

Bitch is dumb then. They converted one of their next gen engines to be used for the 'reboot' and its optimized like crazy - hardware reqs actually dropped from what I recall. I played the original for a bit - it was free and sorta had a Phantasy Star Online feel- group up, hit up a crystal grab some missions and pound them out, laugh, chat, get drunk, go to bed. To use a boardgame term, very beer and pretzels style game.

Though social butterfly does actually sum up the game quite well. I randomly joined a guild where the majority were fashion designers and models and the leader was a black runway model who owned a collection of Ferraris and Lambos. I wish I could be making this shit up, but no.

The reboot though...They went off the deep end. There is so much fan service in the game its mind boggling. Limit Breaks from FFVII have been added, Materia System, Magitek Armor from FFVI, Chocobo Racing, Gold Saucer from FFVII is planned, Clouds Buster sword is in, the list just keeps going. They planned on making it more PvP style, capturing castles and owning towns, but they haven't released any PvP news. They planned tons of new shit, and actually cool sounding stuff, but the only info they are releasing is this fan service shit.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I too am a model who collects Ferraris and Lambos.

That was a lie, of course. A real model wouldn't have time for games, he'd be too busy sucking dick for coke money. This being the internet, people can say whatever they want, but that doesn't mean it's true.

Anyway, I got to level 5 before calling it a night. Image that an artist has created a beautiful painting. Now imagine that you get to watch it dry. That's the experience I've had thus far. Hopefully the game gets more interesting over time, because I do want to like it.

laclongquan

Arcane

A good excuse to stare at her boobs and staaaaaaare!

Data4

Arcane
Though social butterfly does actually sum up the game quite well. I randomly joined a guild where the majority were fashion designers and models and the leader was a black runway model who owned a collection of Ferraris and Lambos. I wish I could be making this shit up, but no.

I, too, am a black runway model, but Ferraris and Lambos are too pedestrian for me. I have a collection of Bugatti Veyrons in each color of the rainbow. I also own a skyscraper in Dubai and have a harem of smoking hot Brazillian octuplets hand feed me grapes every morning. Plus I have the rugged good looks of Brad Pitt. If he were a black runway model, y'see.

You can believe me, for I, myself, have told you this and everything you read on the internet is true.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
ibw1XOQb8925hn.gif

skyst

Augur
I have been playing in the beta a bit and it really is another WoW clone.

The game play is super basic; all of the combat in the first 20 levels has involved nothing but mashing 2-3 abilities without any resource (mana, etc) being an issue at all. Some abilities chain or have an added effect for flanking or attacking from behind but nothing more complex than playing a level 10 WoW character. The story is often overbearing and it can be tedious to click through the dialogue boxes - I'd wager some story scenes could take 5-10 minutes to read through. The bits I bothered to read were wordy yet dull. I have yet to do an instanced dungeon or any group content, but it seems like the game has 1 healing class and 1 tanking class so I don't anticipate much variety there.

That said, the game is pretty and runs great on max settings on my 3 year old machine. The combat is smooth and, though excessively simplistic at this point, is fun enough. It plays a lot more solid than the Neverwinter MMO, though that's not saying much. The game is probably worth looking at if you're a Final Fantasy geek or really love the classic MMO formula but beyond that not so much.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

The game play is super basic; all of the combat in the first 20 levels has involved nothing but mashing 2-3 abilities without any resource (mana, etc) being an issue at all. Some abilities chain or have an added effect for flanking or attacking from behind but nothing more complex than playing a level 10 WoW character. The story is often overbearing and it can be tedious to click through the dialogue boxes - I'd wager some story scenes could take 5-10 minutes to read through. The bits I bothered to read were wordy yet dull. I have yet to do an instanced dungeon or any group content, but it seems like the game has 1 healing class and 1 tanking class so I don't anticipate much variety there.

That said, the game is pretty and runs great on max settings on my 3 year old machine. The combat is smooth and, though excessively simplistic at this point, is fun enough. It plays a lot more solid than the Neverwinter MMO, though that's not saying much. The game is probably worth looking at if you're a Final Fantasy geek or really love the classic MMO formula but beyond that not so much.

What can you tell about world design? Is exploration rewarding, not only in terms of nice views but secrets, chests and unique enemies? I would be interested in a MMO that makes roaming the world actually fun.

Data4

Arcane

What can you tell about world design? Is exploration rewarding, not only in terms of nice views but secrets, chests and unique enemies? I would be interested in a MMO that makes roaming the world actually fun.

I'm a little curious too. Is it an open world or loaded zones? Are areas themselves open, or is it just a bunch of outdoor corridors funneling you along to the next quest hub? What sort of non-combat activities are available, and is there a decent alternate advancement system in the game?

The game play is super basic; all of the combat in the first 20 levels has involved nothing but mashing 2-3 abilities without any resource (mana, etc) being an issue at all. Some abilities chain or have an added effect for flanking or attacking from behind but nothing more complex than playing a level 10 WoW character.

Interest-o-Meter dropped to zero. I doubt it'll get more interesting as you get to higher levels, either.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The game play is super basic; all of the combat in the first 20 levels has involved nothing but mashing 2-3 abilities without any resource (mana, etc) being an issue at all. Some abilities chain or have an added effect for flanking or attacking from behind but nothing more complex than playing a level 10 WoW character.
WoW at least gave you some variety and utility stuff... a lv 10 mage in WoW can cast fireball, icelance, frostnova, blink, counterspell... and you get pretty hyped up looking at the spell list and seeing cool stuff like polymorph, invisibility, time warp, mirror image, teleport, slowfall, conjure mana gem, etc...

I opened the skill list on the beta and there was absolutely nothing to look forward too...

Repressed Homosexual
According to the lead designer in an interview, the time spent up to level 50 is only meant as a tutorial.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom