Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Someone explain FFXIV reboot to me

J1M

Arcane
According to the lead designer in an interview, the time spent up to level 50 is only meant as a tutorial.

Just like FFXIII. :smug:

Cynic

Arcane
I've never played an MMO before. Tried this out, seemed okay for a time waster. Will give it a go with my wife and see how distracted it can make her so I have time to complete a full playthrough of goldbox games in the mean time :smug:

Cynic

Arcane
I don't know why they are still sending out keys, the next phase is an open beta so presumably anyone with a SE account can download and play. My wife got hers a couple of days ago. Weird.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm still upset about this. I played FFXI at the time and was thoroughly discouraged after the release of FFXIV.

They even managed to ruin FFXI in their panic to make up for the failed FFXIV revenue with FTP nonsense...

My 1% stock I withdraw performed very well in the urinal cake business I will have you know.. getting pissed on has never been so rewarding.

J1M

Arcane
I don't know why they are still sending out keys, the next phase is an open beta so presumably anyone with a SE account can download and play. My wife got hers a couple of days ago. Weird.

Yeah, it is pretty funny. The link in the email they sent me took me to the wrong region for the code they sent, and the correct region's registration site has a note saying it was shut down 5 days before they sent me the key. :lol:

I also found the FAQ for the beta, where a question was "hey, the beta key you sent me looks too short?". Answer: "yes, the key is missing two digits. sucks to be you". :lol:

Do we have an emote for :japanese game development:?

Drakron

Arcane
Oh come on. I register and not only it had extremely annoying password rules nut also it cannot find my email, if I type my email instead of user name it doesn't recognize it.

Its like amateur hour at Square Enox.

Cynic

Arcane
Yeah it's fucked Japanese cannot into web applications or simple authentication rules.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
This explains everything
iTeeSqE.jpg

Cynic

Arcane
Played the whole way through the beta. This is my first MMO and I'm having a pretty good time with it. The combat gets a little more challenging at around level 15. I chose a mage and the system has some nice little differences to it to keep it interesting for an offensive magic user.

Will most probably purchase but not sure how long I will play for.

Cynic

Arcane
So I have purchased and will be playing this at least for the first month which is free. Got it cheap over at GMG.

Any codexians playing?

caveat

Novice
Yeah I'm playing for the first month, got the game as a gift so I feel obligated to try it out. I'm on the midgardsormr server.

Cynic

Arcane
I'm on a JP server.

Have had a bit of fun with this game. I can understand why MMOs ruin people's lives now, this shit is fucking vast. There's just too much shit to do, it's overwhelming. But a lot of it is boring tedious stuff.

The story is actually not so bad. The quests have a lot of stupidly written dialogue that I pretty much skip through at some point, and I never do this in games. Most of the time what they have to say is totally useless.

It looks really good though, the graphics are pretty excellent for an MMO. Music is also nice in parts especially in Gridania.

The combat fucking sucks though. I chose a Thaumaturge and all I do is click the same skills over and over again. I swap between fire and ice when my MP is low, and I use AOEs when there are lots of mobs. THAT'S IT. All you do is spam shit until things die.

It's fun to explore dungeons with a party but the monsters have so much HP bloat that you're just sitting there spamming the same skills through the whole dungeon for like 30 minutes. These things should take half the time. The only way you're ever going to be in trouble is if your healer fucks up or your tank is a moron.

At this point I'd say the best thing it has going for it is it really feels like a final fantasy game. And not this shitty Nomura influenced teen angst FF that we have in all the main games now, this feels like classic shit. That feeling alone has kept me interested so far, but I most likely won't play past the 30 days free.

My buddy tells me all MMOs are a bit like this until high level, is that true?

Cynic

Arcane
How the fuck do people play these for years on end? I guarantee that after a while this is going to feel worse than work.

Ninjerk

Arcane
How the fuck do people play these for years on end? I guarantee that after a while this is going to feel worse than work.

Because you can BE SOMEONE in an MMO, unlike real life.

J1M

Arcane
False sense of progression. Social ties. It is one of the few coop experiences where you can fight boss battles with significantly different mechanics in each fight.

When I played WoW, it was simply because my friends and I could not find that type of gameplay in another genre.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I was interested in WoW for a while because of the potential for interesting boss battles. The top end raiding stuff, especially early in the expansion before everyone is geared and the bosses get nerfed, are really difficult. But I didn't get to do any of that shit myself and quit of boredom with the endless boring grind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom