Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Someone explain FFXIV reboot to me

TigerKnee

Arcane
FFXIV's combat bothers me because it's 2013 and yet the system is just way simplistic even for a WoW clone.

Everything else, aesthetics/writing etc is "good for what it is" (TM).

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
How the fuck do people play these for years on end? I guarantee that after a while this is going to feel worse than work.

Loot-driven Skinner box, but mainly because of community. Players who hop from MMO to MMO or quickly drop their MMO of choice after the free honeymoon month is over are mainly soloers who never really get involved with the community.

Cynic

Arcane
I kind of get the combat now.

After doing a few duty dungeons it is kind of fun to work together and figure out how to beat certain bosses. That being said, after doing it once, the draw is gone and I really couldn't see myself going through the whole dungeon again for a chance at loot. These dungeons take fucking ages, the one we did last night was around 45 mins long and the combat up to the boss encounters is repetitive as fuck. Basically I just click click click on skill icons until things die. The only time I had to run away from anything was during boss fights.

I can see myself doing a co op dungeon now and then and playing for a bit but I am wondering how long this will hold my interest for, and whether I think it's worth a monthly fee. Most likely no way.

Machocruz

Arcane
Played for a little bit. Hey, more than 6 quests now! Actually, too many quests now, picking up 6 daisies and shit like that. I think 11 had deeper combat. The spell selection blew away what this game looks to have.

That they don't just make a single player game with these visuals, with better story pacing and some party members, irritates me. Instead we get Nomura the frustrated fashion designer, nonsensical aesthetic, and hallways connected by cutscenes. Yasumi Matsuno, deliver us from evil!

Unless super duper FF fan who has nothing else to do, wouldn't pay monthly fee. Just play Rift if you need to do the fantasy MMO thing.

Cynic

Arcane
Matsuno needs to be brought back, he's the only one who can save FF now.

This game borrows heavily from XII's aesthetic in many areas, may be part of the charm for me.

Yeah can't see myself playing after the first month.

pocahaunted

Arcane
This shit any good? Heard some praise - like it was some sort of revival of the MMOs of old.

Of course it's utter shit, since it's still a railroaded game, though.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Who the hell told you that? It's a WoW clone with okay aesthetics/writing. It's competent in that regards and not much more.

Stokowski

Arcane
It's pretty.
The writing is quite charming.
The music is fucking awful.
In all other respects it's "Baby's First MMORPG", though as if created in 1998.

pocahaunted

Arcane
Who the hell told you that? It's a WoW clone with okay aesthetics/writing. It's competent in that regards and not much more.

Heard it from some streamers, but then again these people are retards and automatically fall in love with any new release.

Frankly I find the animu aesthetics and overly clean environs way too much of a turn off. It definitely feels artificial.

Cynic

Arcane
It's pretty.
The writing is quite charming.
The music is fucking awful.

The writing sucks ass. I'm skipping through 90% of it. I think the music in Gridania and Uldah is pretty sweet in some parts though.

Stokowski

Arcane
Oh I didn't say the writing was good... but if you were in the right mood... :)

I admit I didn't venture far during beta but I couldn't believe how shitty all the music I heard was ... and yet it was written by the same guy that wrote FF6's music? Is that right? Shit, that soundtrack was a masterpiece. This new stuff is just ... :?

J1M

Arcane
Can someone compare and contrast the combat model in this to give an idea of where it stands between WoW and FFXI?

Did they add proper mouse + KB controls to the game? I remember when it was in beta the first time. The menus were clearly only tested with PS3 controllers.

Machocruz

Arcane
Game with hundreds of thousands of real life players...world still feels less alive than FFXII.

Actually, it's kind of comical how many players are out in the field at once. Looks like a 50 man monster gang-bang out there. Dat immersion.

And fuck, this game gets job system yet next solo FF gets Kingdom Hearts button mashing. SE is the devil.

Cynic

Arcane
I have a shameful confession to make...I...I bought a subscription. It's my wife's fault! She really likes the game and...well look it's not too bad.

I have to say the grind is pretty shit...BUT the dungeons get a LOT better around level 35. Quite challenging and you really have to use teamwork to beat the bosses. Anyway I know I am going to codex hell for this.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Does this game have a free trial yet? I might be interested in finding another massively multiplayer time wasting game.

Cynic

Arcane
Does this game have a free trial yet? I might be interested in finding another massively multiplayer time wasting game.

If you purchase the game you get 30 days free. It's enough to complete the main quest line to see if you like it or not. I don't have heaps of time to play so I haven't beaten it yet. I'm not an MMO person and I don't have hours upon hours to grind, I've just gotten to level 38. Cap is 50.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
It's aight. Doesn't push the genre forward or anything but the artwork, UI and presentation is very kinda "Final Fantasy" so if you found yourself liking games like FF8 etc. and can stomach yet another MMO go fer it. Map is shit though.

DashiDMV

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
They are doing a 14 day trial tied into a refer a friend promotion right now. I know they were making a big deal of this on my account where I could send codes to people and if they subscribed, both people would get free stuff. You will probably see lots of "helpful" people offering to let you play for 2 weeks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom