Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Someone tell me what the fuck is so special about Daggerfall

MacBone

Scholar
It's funny how sci-fi often posits Earth as either the insignificant, backwater, armpit of the galaxy or as The Center of Everything. Of course, we know Copernicus was wrong, and everything really does revolve around us.

Farewell into the night

Let me ask you a question.. How old are you?

Ash

Arcane
Morrowind is the one good/acceptable Elder Scrolls game, and even that is laughably broken and flawed.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
It's a game from 1996.
Some games get a pass because they're just too old to have been subject to any criticism. We're talking about a day where it was simply impossible to give actual feedback on a game unless you were a journalist (ahem).

I'd also bring your attention on the complete incapacity of daggerfall amateurs to actually describe simply, in a few words, what's good about the game. Mostly because it usually ends up either false (amazing character customisation !!1) or ridiculous (see mofdkhjfdksj above). No, you need lengthy intricate analyses whose only purpose is to be long enough to make sure nobody will actually read and comment on them. Basic politics 101.

More seriously, consensus on a game's quality is a matter of debate - if not of struggle. If no one fights in a either of the two camps (it tends towards good/bad and here's why), it dramatically shifts everybody's perception of a game, if not a whole series.
The elder scrolls was untouchable back at the release of Morrowind. The supreme quality of Dagger 'have a brazillion random npcs/quests/items in a generic fantasy world and call it content' Fall (don't forget its amazing lore. It's amazing because it's thick, it's not actually good obviously, or delivered in any interesting manner). I didn't know anyone back then who wasn't in awe when Morrowind was released. I also didn't know anyone back then who actually finished it, or played more than a few days. And even though this is always the same shit with Bethesda, and even though it seems to be slowly changing (but is it ? Besides the codex everybody sucks their dick), people have no problem congratulating games they actually can't play for more than 20 hours or so.

So to the journalists we turn, then.
And official reviews read like this.
Tl;dr it's good because you're free to do whatever you want, plus you can answer questions to create your character.
Ah ok.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's funny how sci-fi often posits Earth as either the insignificant, backwater, armpit of the galaxy or as The Center of Everything. Of course, we know Copernicus was wrong, and everything really does revolve around us.
Why did you reply to a two months old thread just to post stuff that probably came to your mind while sitting on a toilet?

Molina

Savant
It's a game from 1996.
Some games get a pass because they're just too old to have been subject to any criticism. We're talking about a day where it was simply impossible to give actual feedback on a game unless you were a journalist (ahem).

I'd also bring your attention on the complete incapacity of daggerfall amateurs to actually describe simply, in a few words, what's good about the game. Mostly because it usually ends up either false (amazing character customisation !!1) or ridiculous (see mofdkhjfdksj above). No, you need lengthy intricate analyses whose only purpose is to be long enough to make sure nobody will actually read and comment on them. Basic politics 101.

More seriously, consensus on a game's quality is a matter of debate - if not of struggle. If no one fights in a either of the two camps (it tends towards good/bad and here's why), it dramatically shifts everybody's perception of a game, if not a whole series.
The elder scrolls was untouchable back at the release of Morrowind. The supreme quality of Dagger 'have a brazillion random npcs/quests/items in a generic fantasy world and call it content' Fall (don't forget its amazing lore. It's amazing because it's thick, it's not actually good obviously, or delivered in any interesting manner). I didn't know anyone back then who wasn't in awe when Morrowind was released. I also didn't know anyone back then who actually finished it, or played more than a few days. And even though this is always the same shit with Bethesda, and even though it seems to be slowly changing (but is it ? Besides the codex everybody sucks their dick), people have no problem congratulating games they actually can't play for more than 20 hours or so.

Tl;dr it's good because you're free to do whatever you want, plus you can answer questions to create your character.
Ah ok.
It is a good game because with Dwarf Forteress, it is the only simulation RPG. Of course it could be improved (e.i., some handcrafted quest, handcrafted sprites, better feedback from NPC), but, meh, it the only one in its kind and with Daggerfall unity, well the dream could become true.

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
It's a game from 1996.

Ah ok.

Daggerfall is great because it features the most complex and engaging MQ of the series. DF is great because it offers a ton of role-playing material. DF is great because the soundtrack alone is a masterpiece. DF is great because you arent treated like a special snowflake. DF is great because dungeons are actually dangerous. DF is great because it has good writing.

Citizen

Daggerfall is great because it features the most complex and engaging MQ of the series. DF is great because it offers a ton of role-playing material. DF is great because the soundtrack alone is a masterpiece. DF is great because you arent treated like a special snowflake. DF is great because dungeons are actually dangerous. DF is great because it has good writing.

Lol @ good writing in generated quests

But yes, mostly correct.

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard

Lol @ good writing in generated quests

But yes, mostly correct.

The writing of the MQ was good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom