Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sooo i bought VR (PSVR) for PC

Severian Silk

You are all dorks with your multiple giant devices laying around everywhere and rings around your eyes. Like this guy:

2917956-time12.jpg

yqgEf4E.jpg

Go on keep being dorks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jazz_

Arcane
Is Quake II really a blast in VR? To me that game has always looked ugly, I can't imagine being that immersed in those ugly early 3d environments. Also the gameplay was kinda clunky, I've always preferred Quake 1.

Assetto Corsa with a vr set and a wheel...now I can see that being a blast.

Perkel

Arcane
Is Quake II really a blast in VR? To me that game has always looked ugly, I can't imagine being that immersed in those ugly early 3d environments. Also the gameplay was kinda clunky, I've always preferred Quake 1.

Assetto Corsa with a vr set and a wheel...now I can see that being a blast.

Yes i was too surprised. What VR gives you first and foremost is sense of scale. textures might be shitty but playing it in proper 3D with headtracking is really amazing experience.

I have Asetto, g25 and now VR. IT does play great though 3D effect is mediacore by that i mean compared to something like GTA5 with VorpX.

Playing GTA5 + G25 + VR is really amazing thing just for arcade driving around and shit.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Can you make a photo of yourself with your high tech swimming goggles? And state exactly how much you spent for that crap? I want to laugh about your stupidity.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah 300$ is steal imo for what it provides. Oculus is like like 500$ USED here and Vive is like 1000$ used here.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Well playing actual good games (FNV, HL2, Q2) in VR does sound good, thanks for reports Perkel

Can VorpX add depth to non FPS games? Like ARPGs (grim dawn) and stuff.

Perkel

Arcane
Well playing actual good games (FNV, HL2, Q2) in VR does sound good, thanks for reports Perkel

It needs profile for that. You can try using profiles from different games but sometimes you need to wait for VorpX staff to add some better support.

I tried it with Path of Exile and so far no luck. Biggest issue is UI. VorpX staff did briliant job when they managed to separate UI from game rendering itself for few games but sadly this isn't a case for every game. Darl Souls 2 has separated completely renderiing from UI so you can see UI just fine when you play with 3D depth and headtracking.

Full list of VorpX enabled games (by VorpX staff, not counting "cloud" profiles of normal people who fiddled with different games):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nD_HyS8v_zKf9MZ3OYVpdnKAJBeMycGTgFmaJ639Oyg/edit#gid=0

Dragon's Dogma is officially supported game but standard profile doesn't give you 3D effect. I downloaded profile from cloud of some guy and that enabled it for me.

------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------

Speaking of 3D effects. I know now why VIVE games had such garbage 3D effect compared to VorpX games. Turn out that VIVE has physical switch which adjusts space between lenses. Such thing is called IPD commonly. So default Trinus for PSVR setting was @ 0 which. I had to change it to 0.3 to get proper 3D effect. At 0 it was barely noticeable.

Asetto Corsa now is just fucking mindblowing. I also wait for my Elite refund as G2A dude send me invalid key.

edit:

Just got refund ! Gotta buy Elite now and try it in VR. I heard it is mindblowing.

Gerrard

Arcane
Room scale is a retarded feature for home VR. Save that shit for arcades or specialized venues.

How's the weight of the thing by the way? Doesn't your neck get tired after hours of using it? Do you take breaks?

Perkel

Arcane
Room scale is a retarded feature for home VR. Save that shit for arcades or specialized venues.

How's the weight of the thing by the way? Doesn't your neck get tired after hours of using it? Do you take breaks?

I don't feel it at all. That head strap behind is nicely padded and rigid. So weight of whole headset is evenly distributed in circle like patter on your head. I think best description is that it hangs on your head like crown rather than something strapped to your eyes.

Kitchen Utensil

PSVR is quite comfortable, but you'll still feel it after wearing it and looking around for a couple of hours.
IMO it needs a couple more iterations for head-mounted VR displays to potentially break into the mass market. They need to be smaller, lighter, less expensive and require better displays (and computational power).

Dexter

Arcane
It is not beggars version. Properly calibrated it works same way VIVE or Oculus ones. PS4 tracking on other hand is mediacore as PS4 doesn't have enough power to use proper algorithms to track it. Second difference is OUT OF BOX so you don't need to fiddle with software around.
Actually they were. Even in PS2 days they could track movement in 3D. Again it doesn't matter if something was build for something or not. You can just load youtube and see that it works currently correctly if set up correctly. PS4 tracking issues are mostly due to shitty algorythm used. PSEYE cameras also capture @ 120hz not 60hz or 30hz. I will either way testing it myself soon as i already have one PSeye so i need another one and borrow two moves from friend so i will have both controllers and 3d head positioning.
PlayStation Eye are essentially Webcams you can get for $7 which track brightly colored LEDs in space for VR, which were essentially designed for this sort of shit back in the day of the PS2:

This is how the Tracking in Arizona Sunshine looks using the PSVR (you can see the same issue on other games they test or if you "look it up on YouTube" as you've said also mentioned by other people and reviews, it's because the cameras used are imprecise and have a lot less to work with/pick up leading to both the controllers and in some cases the image you see on the HMD if you use Positional Tracking to jitter (although the headset itself has 9 zones for recognition (5 in front, 2 on the sides and 2 on the back) compared to the one ball on the controller:

This is for instance using the Oculus Tracking camera which tracks Infrared LED patterns:

QRaQveDpKKcNvXrN.medium

This is one of the Vive Controllers opened, on the top ring alone (front and back) there are 24 IR sensors:
160404-122303.jpg

And this is a Touch controller with 24 IR LEDs:
oculus-touch-2.jpg

Do you see the problem as to why a $7 WebCam tracking a single blue LED ball (or even 5 blue LEDs on your head) through the room would be a lot less precise than dozens of IR LEDs being picked up by an expensive InfraRed camera purpose-designed for this or dozens of IR sensors reporting their position to the PC, not to talk about the problems some people could have with other objects, close-by light-sources or wallpapers of certain colors?

Third your idea of VR is just empty PR. VR is basically ability to look around with 3D in virtual world. Dildo controlers you mention are nice and do enable new types of games but like i said before they are gimmicks that will went away with time same way motion controls in Wii did. And no you don't need 90fps. I tried playing at various framerates from below 30 to 120 and when you hit about 40-50fps everything becomes fluid enough to have good gameplay

Your whole "you are not getting full vr" is just what you believe vr is. Most of normal games you play do not need room scale nor 3d head positioning and guess what they won't need that in future too because it is absolutely useless feature same as room scale. It is fine for arcade centers when you go with group of people though.

Ain't buying it. IT just new controls nothing more nothing less. Maybe if you are new into computers or gaming it would be amazing but not for me.

For me what matter are games. Not some indie crap about fiddling with cup of cofe. Those kind of games are exact same crap motion controllers managed to get when they were invented. Where are they now ? Nowhere. Because those were shit games that fun went away with interest in new controllers.
I already had a long debate about what VR technically is with someone like two years ago, so look that up if you're interested: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/oculus-rift.79590/page-10#post-4022735

Also quite contradictory with your:
I don't think this VR is proper VR. Proper VR will be something like matrix while this VR is just glorified monitor with 2 dildo attachements.

But this isn't even what I said, I said by simply using your VR headset in a limited 3DOF capacity where you just move your head left/right/up/down without any Positional Tracking and without any of the other features like special purpose Controllers or Lighthouse/Room Scale you will have a very limited understanding of what VR is or what it can already do and as such you don't get the "full VR experience". As it is you can't even enjoy some of the very basic Apps and games for it that are some of the most popular, since your current hardware setup doesn't support it. And as you've also seen, without natively supported hardware with purpose-built drivers and software you are still finding out things you have done wrong or that you have to tweak weeks later that other people get out of the box and will also likely not get to partake in some of the optimizations that also come with said: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6ms1ei/holy_smokes_asynchronous_spacewarp_is_the_magic/

Native VR Controllers allow for entirely different experiences, while I would be the first to say that things like Kinect or Wii Motion were gimmicks (in fact, you can see me say it here in 2012, and again in 2013) the people that are comparing the two frankly don't know what they are talking about (and the PSVR is the only one with "Dildo Controllers" by the way). With a VR headset you feel like you are in the world which you now know well enough, and the controllers are an extension to that, since you usually have a "body" and you can use your head to turn around every which way and with Positional tracking even duck, look around a corner/look through a crack in a wall or take a closer look at any object you also want other interactions to be reproduced almost immediately and tracked controllers for now are a very good representation for hands to manipulate things with or use in context scenarios. For instance there are games where you can grab with a controller behind your back to switch between your weapon or a shield, or towards your holster to grab a weapon and obviously you can use the controllers as both shooting weapons for pointing at a target or using it as a shield/sword combo to block and hit things with, which makes it feel perfectly natural. While it's stupid to try to wag your limbs or some motion controller around and a normal controller is more purposeful for an abstraction displayed on a screen meters in front of you rendering a 2D plane, the same is not true in VR, where you immediately want to directly interact with the world and environment around you in a more direct way. Moreover, like people that for some reason can't fathom what VR feels like in the first place before trying it, you don't know how Positional Tracking or said Controllers change your experience before trying it, so maybe save your breath for after you do.

GTA5 really is fucking great in VR especially with my G25 wheel.
I think it's funny that you recognize the need for a Racing wheel for driving games (I got the G25 too) or presumably the need for a Joystick or HOTAS setup for flying games (I got the X52 Pro, which Elite: Dangerous used as a Standard and moves according to your actual movements in game, when you start moving it you can see the pilot move it according to how you are moving it in real life and pressing buttons etc.) and wouldn't just call them "gimmicks":
9vfKXdg.jpg

But wouldn't recognize the basic Controller used for directly interacting with the world in VR, which can also be used for various other interactions like shooting/swordfighting/throwing etc. depending on use.

You seem to also be obsessed with some video you saw of a single level of "Job Simulator" once, since all you constantly bring up in regards to the Controllers is something something "cup of cofe" as if that constitutes an argument.

So ? Why does it matter how something works. Does it make games 3D ? yes. Does it give you headtracking ? yes. (with positional). And no VorpX DOES give you two separate images. Hell it works based on SteamVR in first place so if it didn't have two separate images it wouldn't work at all with headsets. Maybe you should pay 40$ and try for yourself first before speaking about it.

Yes VorpX is a bit messy but again once it works it works and you play 100+h of something.
I have tried VorpX years ago, I'm not Up-to-Date with the newest developments but it's still essentially a Hack which isn't the best viable at playing through games, looking at some of the recent Feedback some things have changed for the better, some things have stayed the same: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5qvbos/about_to_buy_vorpx_which_games_are_actually/
Almost every game still has issues. Simply because of the UI.

What the latest update did was remove the need to constantly tweak settings to get the FOV dialed in.

Whereas before, you could spend hours, even weeks tweaking the resolution, head tracking sensitivitey, fov, etc.... and only reach about 80-90% of what you were looking for.

Now it's a matter of letting the thing scan the game and it happens automatically and dials it in to about 99.99% perfection.

There are still issues though. Such as Bioshock Infinite. It fishbowls bad if I try to do the automatic scan. This could also be from previous attempts to get previous version of Vorpx working. I may have some extra FOV options programmed into the games .ini files... not sure. But you have to do the scan regardless to get the rotation at 1:1. Afterwards you have to manually go into settings and bring the FOV down to about half to get it correct again.

Other than minor issues like that. The UI is the only other thing that really holds it back in most other cases for the games that support directVR scanning. Fallout 3 even when using edge peak, will show double vision on the buttons when you bring up the pip boy and the mouse cursor won't line up correctly on the buttons... stuff like that. But the main game itself is near perfect for 3D and Scale.

One other thing to note, and this is mostly a problem with all seated games vs standing roomscale. Roomscale games because of the way they take advantage of the space have a way of making items that penetrate that inner square feel tangible, as if they really do exist in that space. vorpX cannot provide that same kind of tangibility. So even though the 3D and Scale might be correct, you still get a sense that you are surrounded by a 360 film instead of being in a virtual space.

To put it another way. In Roomscale VR, that table might trick you into leaning on it. In vorpX, you will never be convinced to lean on that table. Part of that is due to the fact that the Chaperone always draws over everything, instead of the object being drawn over the grid.

Most of what he said is correct regarding the Support list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nD_HyS8v_zKf9MZ3OYVpdnKAJBeMycGTgFmaJ639Oyg/

"Z3D Rendering" is 3D Rendering based on Z-Buffer with no actual depth, since the second view is extrapolated from the first render. Basically the game is rendered out once like on a computer screen and you get that on one eye, with a slightly shifted render using the depth-values on the second eye. As he said, you can't properly recognize proper/realistic 3D depth this way.

"G3D Rendering" is what they refer to as "geometry rendering" where two actual separate views are being rendered out, one for each eye.

"Cinema Mode" is just playing on a Virtual screen, often likely needed for UI, since all of these games have no UIs that are compatible with VR like say "Dead Space" and are instead rendered on the 0-plane, which is hard to display in VR.

Support for each game is likely dependent on how easy it is to hack into and inject into the rendering pipeline of specific games and their engines, but it's important to note yet again that these aren't in any way "fully working games" and most of them will have issues, especially with things like the UI and a purposefully-built game for VR will always be a better and smoother experience.

http://www.vorpx.com/more-headtracking-z-buffer-vs-geometry-3d/
Depth Buffer 3D vs. Geometry 3D

vorpX supports two different modes to create a 3d effect. The main mode is a fast Z-buffer based reconstruction, the second mode is geometry based 3d that renders two distinct views (not available for all games so far). In all games that support both modes you can easily switch between them on-the-fly, making it easy to compare them.

Both methods have their pros & cons, what you like better will definitely be a matter of taste, and might even differ from game to game.

Z-Buffer 3D:
+ Very fast (almost twice as fast), 60Hz almost guaranteed (very important on the Rift)
– Usually worse depth perception
– Some artifacts due the 3d creation (mostly less annoying then the geometry 3d artifacts)

Geometry 3D:
+ Usually better depth perception
– Slow (roughly half the speed of the Z-Buffer mode)
– Often annoying artifacts (misplaced shaders/reflections, effects/ui at wrong depth etc.)

399$ is MSRP price so without TAX (in mycase 23%) and without import tax (who knows how much) and without DELIVERY cost which should be around 10-20-30$. So you are looking at minimum 500$ for new.

I bought used for 1200zl which is about 260$ for everything with no cost added. In Poland used oculus goes for 2500zl while VIVe minimum 3200zl. Didn't even check price of new ones to much for me.
I don't know about used price in Poland, but as it stands right now both the PSVR and Oculus Rift + Touch both cost $399 new, in the Oculus Kit you'll get two cameras, the Touch Controller and an Xbox One Controller included, while the PSVR Kit doesn't even include the really cheap Eye Toy cameras and PS Move. It makes absolutely no sense to get the inferior one over the other, especially since one of them is actually Native and has Support on the PC.

How about motion sickness? Traditional movement in first person games is supposed to make want to vomit all over the place, that's why so many games use teleportation. Have you experienced anything like that?
That's not really the main reason why VR games use teleportation. It's mainly about the difference between Seated VR, where you use the headset to look around and lean in various directions to closer observe something and orient yourself but use a controller for all movement e.g. the Oculus method and Room-Scale where you designate a physical space you can actually walk around in and your position is tracked 1:1 into the Virtual space e.g. the Vive method, which obviously isn't infinite since the room you're playing and walking around in will most likely have walls and shit and leads to design problems (there's a physical space you can walk around and do shit in, and to move said space you "teleport" it away to another virtual location with you in it).
valve-vive-lighthouse-boundaries.jpg

Various games use different methods or a mix between them depending on what you're supposed to do, see for instance the tags for these games:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/527100/Star_Trek_Bridge_Crew/ http://store.steampowered.com/app/306760/Obduction/ - Seated
http://store.steampowered.com/app/646200/Dead_Effect_2_VR/ http://store.steampowered.com/app/342180/Arizona_Sunshine/ - Standing / Room-Scale

VR Sickness mostly varies depending on the person using it, and doesn't seem particularly connected to sea sickness or usual motion sickness, although it has similar symptoms. Women seem to generally be more affected and regular "gamers" that have been playing FPS games and similar for years seem to be less affected. It's also a lot less pronounced in the end consumer products than previous versions, although still not entirely fixed.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Ohh boy i really did made you angry. Why are you so angry ?

PlayStation Eye are essentially Webcams you can get for $7 which track brightly colored LEDs in space for VR, which were essentially designed for this sort of shit back in the day of the PS2:

Like i said before does it really matter ? When you have 2 eye cameras moves apparently work almost as good as vive or oculus controller in tracking 3D position. Tracking on PS4 as i stated already is garbage for 2 reasons. 1 Standard PS4 camera has dual camera system but it is simply to close to one each other. 2 PS4 due to its garbage power needs to use worse algorythm to track down those lights.

I think it's funny that you recognize the need for a Racing wheel for driving games (I got the G25 too) or presumably the need for a Joystick or HOTAS setup for flying games (I got the X52 Pro, which Elite: Dangerous used as a Standard and moves according to your actual movements in game, when you start moving it you can see the pilot move it according to how you are moving it in real life and pressing buttons etc.) and wouldn't just call them "gimmicks":

Because there is huge difference between emulating hand and emulating tool. First off each hardware like joystick and wheel is something you can rest your hands on and they are both precise and give you feedback. If you hit a curb in your driving sim you feel it on wheel. If you want to do side roll in space sim you can do that on joystick etc.

On other hand motion controls don't provide any feedback. That button you supposedly want to press does not provide you with any resistance because you are pressing air, that sword you fling around doesn't provide you with weight because... you don't have any actual sword and you are grasping air, That shield you use is weightless.

Motion controlers aren't any different from this. You fling you arms around without any feedback because there can't be.

61Xi394CKgL._SL1280_.jpg

Until motion controllers resolve feedback issue there won't be any revolution you dream on. Because that is the reason for controller. Feedback.
Secondly controllers need to be comfortable. Motion controllers are antithesis of practical design.

I already had a long debate about what VR technically is with someone like two years ago, so look that up if you're interested: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/oculus-rift.79590/page-10#post-4022735

Like i am interested on your subjective view on VR. It doesn't matter what you believe, practicallity and average day to day use will remove almost all gimicks you like which i don't from every game same as it was for sixaxis, wii motion controls etc.

NO ONE will reach to his floor to pick up virtual magazine more than few times. That might work for some gun range emulator but not for 50 hours game.
NO ONE will stand in place doing various motions to get through the game, especially precise ones. Again this might work for some indie game about making coffe but not for 50h game
NO ONE will give two fucks about positional tracking of your head when you either way sit down on your couch. Again this might work for coffe simulator but not for actual game. This is actually useless feature actually but it doesn't hurt game to have it. Just not something people will use.
ABSOLUTELY NO ONE will make use of room Vr as their daily dose of gaming. Everyone is just to lazy to get after work to home and instead of relaxing themselves stand up and do various idiotic motions.

All above COULD work with arcade places but i doubt they woild revive now.

So what you are left with is headtracking,FOV and proper 3D which by itself is biggest change VR brings to gaming and all of which are entirely passive which means EVERYONE will be using them as long as something can support it.

I don't know about used price in Poland, but as it stands right now both the PSVR and Oculus Rift + Touch both cost $399 new,

If you would read my post actually you would know price of Oculus and Vive in poland. I bought PSVR itself for 260$ while Oculus is like $700 new while Vive is like $1000+ new.

"Z3D Rendering" is 3D Rendering based on Z-Buffer with no actual depth

Sorry but this is false. Z-Buffer rendering means it takes depth data from z-buffer as name suggest which is used for various things in games like SSAO etc. aka how things are far from each other in 3D space. IT DOES provide 3D depth. That is the whole point of it !. Though not every game uses Z-Buffer to extend where it can compete with real geometrical algorithm to decide depth.

Still in Fallout 4 Z-Buffer implementation is just as good as Geometry one and it runs twice as fast.

That's not really the main reason why VR games use teleportation.

No that is actually main reason why VR games use teleportation (which i find completely stupid). The reason why people have motion sickness is head positional movement according to virtual world VS their real world head movement to body perceived real position.

If you move in virtual world your virtual head moves a lot. IF you teleport your head doesn't move at all (aside from roatation which isn't causing motion sickness).
Both PSVR/VIVE/Oculus controlers have ability to move character without issue in VR world without need of teleportation.

Dexter

Arcane
Ohh boy i really did made you angry. Why are you so angry ?
I'm nice and calm, just correcting misconceptions. On the other hand you seem rather agitated for some reason. :lol:

Like i said before does it really matter ? When you have 2 eye cameras moves apparently work almost as good as vive or oculus controller in tracking 3D position. Tracking on PS4 as i stated already is garbage for 2 reasons. 1 Standard PS4 camera has dual camera system but it is simply to close to one each other. 2 PS4 due to its garbage power needs to use worse algorythm to track down those lights.
The tracking solution as it is implemented in the PSVR hardware is inferior compared to the others and no algorithm will change that very much as explained above, main reason for that is they didn't want to design anything new specifically for VR but reused commercial hardware they had already developed for other purposes with PS Eye (PS2) and PS Move (PS3).

Because there is huge difference between emulating hand and emulating tool. First off each hardware like joystick and wheel is something you can rest your hands on and they are both precise and give you feedback. If you hit a curb in your driving sim you feel it on wheel. If you want to do side roll in space sim you can do that on joystick etc.

On other hand motion controls don't provide any feedback. That button you supposedly want to press does not provide you with any resistance because you are pressing air, that sword you fling around doesn't provide you with weight because... you don't have any actual sword and you are grasping air, That shield you use is weightless.

Motion controlers aren't any different from this. You fling you arms around without any feedback because there can't be.

Until motion controllers resolve feedback issue there won't be any revolution you dream on. Because that is the reason for controller. Feedback.
Secondly controllers need to be comfortable. Motion controllers are antithesis of practical design.
4522b65804fd440ea61c7254970e810c.ashx

htc1.jpg

The good thing about how they solved the Motion control situation for now is that they are also very precise, do provide feedback and they didn't go the way of "Kinect" or "PS Eye", they have things to use like triggers and buttons as other normal controllers (and can even be used as such for longer periods of time) that provide feedback and aren't just about wildly waggling your arms around in the air and the Touch even has sensors for hand and finger gestures, on top of that they are comfortable and ergonomic enough and rather light, so if you don't get "tired" from using your hands in normal day-to-day life to do things like point at things, open doors, pick up a bottle or use a can opener, then the likelihood of you getting tired by using them is slim.
OculusTouch3.jpg

Both also have limited haptic feedback, for instance your scenario where you push a virtual button can be called by using "TriggerHapticPulse" on the Vive.
They're also experimenting with more complex haptic feedback and have been for a few years for future iterations, although it ain't included in the first version of the controllers: https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/dg-input-touch-haptic/

NO ONE will reach to his floor to pick up virtual magazine more than few times. That might work for some gun range emulator but not for 50 hours game.
NO ONE will stand in place doing various motions to get through the game, especially precise ones. Again this might work for some indie game about making coffe but not for 50h game
NO ONE will give two fucks about positional tracking of your head when you either way sit down on your couch. Again this might work for coffe simulator but not for actual game. This is actually useless feature actually but it doesn't hurt game to have it. Just not something people will use.
ABSOLUTELY NO ONE will make use of room Vr as their daily dose of gaming. Everyone is just to lazy to get after work to home and instead of relaxing themselves stand up and do various idiotic motions.

All above COULD work with arcade places but i doubt they woild revive now.

No that is actually main reason why VR games use teleportation (which i find completely stupid). The reason why people have motion sickness is head positional movement according to virtual world VS their real world head movement to body perceived real position.

If you move in virtual world your virtual head moves a lot. IF you teleport your head doesn't move at all (aside from roatation which isn't causing motion sickness).
Both PSVR/VIVE/Oculus controlers have ability to move character without issue in VR world without need of teleportation.
Leaving all your other amazing predictions aside, about how people will obviously never want to express themselves using natural body motions or anything similar while fully transplanted into Virtual worlds like they do in the real world and all of this is only for "coffe simulators":

The sheer presumption that "NO ONE" will "use" or "give a fuck" about Positional Tracking, which is one of the main features in all VR headsets and they've waited and spent 1,5-2 years to solve and properly implement in the retail versions of their kit, whether Vive, Rift or even PSVR and how you say it doesn't work when "you sit down on your couch" when that's what the Oculus solution was specifically designed for with their "Seated VR" PR push proves that you don't know what you are talking about and are just simply very uninformed based on the fact that your choice of VR hardware doesn't have it right now. :lol:

Some of the VR Arcades so far, like "THE VOID": https://www.thevoid.com/ go into using larger spaces with props and shit and using things like wind and smells to have broader experiences. Think "Laser Tag".

It is true though that in the case of "Room Scale", it is the least adopted of all the things you are ranting about and there are still actual conceptual and technical problems with it e.g. requiring empty room to start with and the limited capacity of it, which provides a limited space of said room to interact with, which is also why teleportation is used, which you'd know if you had tried any Oculus (they don't really use that much teleportation if at all) or Vive games (which do).

Sorry but this is false. Z-Buffer rendering means it takes depth data from z-buffer as name suggest which is used for various things in games like SSAO etc. aka how things are far from each other in 3D space. IT DOES provide 3D depth. That is the whole point of it !. Though not every game uses Z-Buffer to extend where it can compete with real geometrical algorithm to decide depth.

Still in Fallout 4 Z-Buffer implementation is just as good as Geometry one and it runs twice as fast.
The developer himself says that the depth perception is much worse. It's rather easy to think about, why do you think it is about twice as fast?

One method only renders out the frame once and uses depth data to extrapolate a second view based on that, which never gives you accurate 3D geometry for a proper 3D depth effect, while the method where two frames are rendered separately for both the left and right eye actually produces a true 3D view from two distinct perspectives, which is why it generally takes twice as long and is coincidentally also the rendering method used for every single native VR game for obvious reasons, although engine developers (like Unity or Unreal) are all working on rendering optimizations with a lot of improvements: https://www.vrfocus.com/2016/07/unity-5-4-features-better-vr-performance-and-multiplatform-support/
oculus-rift-sdk-0.3.1-sbs-rendering-2.jpg

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
The developer himself says that the depth perception is much worse. It's rather easy to think about, why do you think it is about twice as fast?

IDC what developer says when i can check it myself and see difference with a press of a button. Some games with Z3D manage to be as good as those with geometry one. OVERALL Z3D is worse because not every game uses z-depth buffer extensively in their games which means that 3D effect can be indeed wonky compared to geometry one.

Still it is matter of implementation on developer side (game developer not VorpX or other software) as they are the one that can do something creative with z-buffer.

Geometry naturally is superior because once you switch it you have 100% accuracy. Thing is Z3D can be sometimes as good at half the cost so why bother with Geometry 3D ?

Secondly i responded to you about you making claim that "simple" Z3D is poor mans 3D.

As for motion controlers maybe you should look at Wii life. Wiimotes also had buttons and ruble and were 1000x more popular that current superior motions controlers and where are those now ? Wii died precisely of what i said to you earlier.

People are simply to lazy to use something for part of their normal habbits. For something to catch on it needs to be practical and usefull but at the same time i can't be uncomfortable and require work.

Motion controller that has frame build into proper gun with proper kick after every shot ? Yup that would actually work though haouse of dead type of games aren't that popular and throwing granades with your motion controller guns would be retarded.

Motion controllers inherent design problem is that they require motion aka something people are just to lazy meaning aside from nerds like you or me who would use it there will be very little public thus most of developers will ignore it and it soon will die out.

Perkel

Arcane
Dolphin emulator absolutely rocks.
I just played a bit monster hunter Tri and i had both headtracking and good 3D effect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom