Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sounds for ToEE UI

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
ToEE doesn't currently play sounds when handling inventory items, unlike many other games. This is the place to recommend new ones :)

(they will be toggleable in case you like it silent as it is)

Pugmeister

Educated
Patron
Can we also replace some other UI sounds when that optional mode is active? Because that *WOMP* mouse over sound is driving me nuts :D

Heinous Hat

Scholar
ToEE has a really unique audio aesthetic. I guess you'd call it "ambient fantasy in an early 80s synth style". It's rare, to say the least... I love it :love:

Interface sounds are pretty sparse. There's that sort of arcade-ish pa-chink noise when you press buttons in chargen and level-up everywhere. Then there's the incredibly soothing synth pulse when you mouse over the main menu list and the UI selection box in the lower right. So I'd go for effects that match that early 80s pop culture feel, or at least don't clash with it. Time to start digging...

Can we also replace some other UI sounds when that optional mode is active? Because that *WOMP* mouse over sound is driving me nuts :D

Which UI element is this, Pug? The only womp sound I can think of is for a club hit.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Hehe, I think he's talking about your precious synth pulse :P

Other than that I think the main thing missing is sounds for equipping items and for drag n' drop actions. That and a nice ka-ching equivalent for levelling up!

I'm tempted to go rip off Realmz because that's what I know and love, but somehow I suspect that would raise objections...

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Now, how is that womp womp womp womp ?

It's clearly more a case of dew dew dew dew.

See, It even looks soothing written out :P

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Other than that I think the main thing missing is sounds for equipping items and for drag n' drop actions. That and a nice ka-ching equivalent for levelling up!

I've been picking around in the unpacked sounds folder, trying to figure out what's wrong with all of the bardic song variations for different instruments (they're mismatched, or limited). There's a sound for leveling up that sort of sounds like a magic drain flushing. Does that not get played? Can't say I remember hearing it before.

Heinous Hat

Scholar

So I turned down the music and put the cans on to better scrutinize some of the game's sound effects... and yeah, there's way more low frequency to that UI mouse-over than I can hear with the crappy, low grade desktop speakers I'm currently using. Much more WOMP! when you have audible bass :). I see someone removed that from the character portrait roll-over at some point... it's present in vanilla.

Back to topic... mainly questions.

What's the general intention regarding inventory sounds and what are the possibilities with temple+? Individual sounds for different item materials... paper sounds, clinking glass etc? Or just some generic indicator that you have indeed just moved some of your stuff? PLOP!

I'm passingly familiar with what's been done to add more audio queues to the game and past difficulty with ToEE's unfinished audio handling (as per Co8, Ted's blog etc). Most of the additional sound events are achieved via scripting, yes? Do you guys have an angle on fixing/finishing/replacing the underlying routine so it's possible to add more events and variation? Or, the big pile of non-working originals for that matter.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
The "magic drain" Levelup sound doesn't get played... haven't seen any sound trigger for the levelup, anyway.

I'm actually not too familiar with past audio overhaul attempts, but as you say we have an angle now :) I've recently dug into the mouse event handlers for various parts of the UI, which is how I altered the tooltips, added alt-click behaviors etc. It should be pretty easy to add a sound trigger on mouse down/mouse up events.

And yeah, I can definitely check material type, it's in the proto definitions. Any other object property query applies too (item type, magical, identified, etc.).

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Ok, I'll be adding sounds.mes inside tpdata\tpmes which will contain sound overrides.
I'll also hook up code to search for sounds to play. The things to consider are:

- object type
The ones relevant for inventory items:
obj_t_weapon
obj_t_ammo
obj_t_armor
obj_t_money
obj_t_food (most items of this type are potions actually)
obj_t_scroll
obj_t_key
obj_t_written
obj_t_generic
obj_t_bag
- material type
mat_stone = 0,
mat_brick = 1,
mat_wood = 2,
mat_plant = 3,
mat_flesh = 4,
mat_metal = 5,
mat_glass = 6,
mat_cloth = 7,
mat_liquid = 8,
mat_paper = 9,
mat_gas = 10,
mat_force= 11,
mat_fire = 12,
mat_powder = 13

Obviously there's too many combinations to do each individually, but we can narrow it down somewhat.
obj_t_weapon - determine sound by weapon type (73 types in ToEE - I narrowed it down to about 15 principle sound varieties)
Weapon types grouped by sound type:

1. Gloves (can be same as armor)
wt_gauntlet ,
wt_spiked_gauntlet,

2. Daggers
wt_dagger,
wt_punching_dagger,
wt_siangham, // 56
wt_sap, // WTF is this?
wt_halfling_siangham, //53

wt_light_mace,
wt_heavy_mace,
wt_morningstar,

wt_sickle,
wt_throwing_axe,
wt_light_hammer,
wt_handaxe,
wt_light_pick,
wt_heavy_pick,
wt_gnome_hooked_hammer,

5. Clubs
wt_club,
wt_greatclub,

6. Long wooden shaft
wt_shortspear,
wt_quarterstaff,
wt_spear,
wt_javelin,
wt_light_lance,
wt_longspear, //43

7. XBows
wt_light_crossbow, // 14
wt_heavy_crossbow, // 17
wt_hand_crossbow, // 65
wt_repeating_crossbow,

8. Light slashing
wt_short_sword,
wt_kukri,
wt_halfling_kama, // 50
wt_kama, //54

9. Swords
wt_longsword,
wt_scimitar,
wt_falchion,
wt_greatsword,
wt_two_bladed_sword,
wt_bastard_sword,
wt_scythe,

10. Axes
wt_battleaxe,
wt_greataxe,
wt_dwarven_waraxe, // racial weapons - 58 and on
wt_orc_double_axe,
wt_dwarven_urgrosh,

11. Hammer
wt_warhammer,

12. Chain
wt_light_flail,
wt_heavy_flail,
wt_spike_chain,
wt_dire_flail,
wt_halfling_nunchaku, //52
wt_nunchaku, // 55

13. Polearms
wt_trident,
wt_glaive,
wt_guisarme,
wt_halberd,
wt_heavy_lance,
wt_ranseur,

14. Bows
wt_shortbow,
wt_composite_shortbow,
wt_longbow,
wt_composite_longbow,

Misc. / generic catchall
wt_dart,
wt_sling,
wt_shuriken,
wt_whip,
wt_net,
wt_grenade // 72
wt_rapier,

Irrelevant types:
wt_unarmed_strike_medium_sized_being,
wt_unarmed_strike_small_being,
wt_grapple,
wt_ray,
obj_t_armor - determine sound by material type (cloth, metal, wood) and armor type (shield, armor, other).
obj_t_money - only 1 type
obj_t_food - unique sound for 'glass' (as most potions are), otherwise use generic material sounds
obj_t_scroll - only 1 type
obj_t_key - only 1 type (metallic)
obj_t_written - 2 types, depending on object size/weight (notes are usually defined 'tiny' and books 'small' or have a non-negligible weight)
obj_t_generic - go by material type (14 varieties), and maybe some special casing
obj_t_bag - use generic leather sound

So that's about 15 + 9 +1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 + 14 + 1 = 45 sound types. Of these, about 30 could use a special sound for equipping, though that could probably overlap with the sound for handling.

Anything that doesn't fit into the above will play a generic sound.

Does that sound right? :P

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Last night... while under the mistaken belief that potions were assigned to mat_powder... I entered a state of enlightenment trying to imagine an appropriate sound :)

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
The original sound files are in the .dat files. Once extracted they should be in data\sound IIRC.
Likewise for Co8 (except they should already be extracted after you've deployed the modpack).

The sound files are indexed in .mes files found in the sound folder, and you play them using their index and the game.sound command.

https://github.com/GrognardsFromHell/DllDocumentation/wiki/Scripting-API#7-audiovisual-effects-1
I just found a LEVEL_UP.wav file that sounds pretty cool from unpacking one of the .dats. IIRC there is no sound currently played with the golden burst when a character levels up. Would you be able to add this sound file back into the game where it would have been played?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Sure thing. There was also some talk of adding more sound triggers for things like the inventory UI picking up and equipping items, but these need new sound files.

Etharil

Novice
Would adding inventory sounds from BGEE work? I know you'd likely pursue new ones, but the ones from BG have this nostalgic value added to them.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Would adding inventory sounds from BGEE work? I know you'd likely pursue new ones, but the ones from BG have this nostalgic value added to them.

Moved to relevant discussion. As you can see there was some discussion about it. I'm too lazy to install and pick apart BG and do all the mix n' match but if anyone wants to lend a hand go ahead :)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
All the sounds used in BG and BGEE are property of EA/WotC. Do not even consider using or even distributing them. Just to avoid any cease and desist letters....

Etharil

Novice
All the sounds used in BG and BGEE are property of EA/WotC. Do not even consider using or even distributing them. Just to avoid any cease and desist letters....
Aren't most effects like that part of the clause that says you can use them for non-profit stuff?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Aren't most effects like that part of the clause that says you can use them for non-profit stuff?

ALL contents within a video game (including sounds) are the property of the Publisher, and is stated in the EULA, and you cannot ever distribute any of that content without explicit permission.

That is pretty much how every EULA is written. However, I do not currently have Baldur's Gate installed, so I can't read the EULA for it. I highly doubt there is an exception clause, exempting the sounds of the game from being distributed. Though it wouldn't hurt to look, if someone has it installed.

I just would rather this project NOT get into any trouble at all.

Etharil

Novice

ALL contents within a video game (including sounds) are the property of the Publisher, and is stated in the EULA, and you cannot ever distribute any of that content without explicit permission.

That is pretty much how every EULA is written. However, I do not currently have Baldur's Gate installed, so I can't read the EULA for it. I highly doubt there is an exception clause, exempting the sounds of the game from being distributed. Though it wouldn't hurt to look, if someone has it installed.

I just would rather this project NOT get into any trouble at all.
Yeah I understand your concerns, but IIRC most TOSes and EULAs say that non-commercial use is allowed. That's why I mentioned it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom