Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

South Park: The Fractured But Whole - South Park RPG sequel from Ubisoft

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
over the years there were many other episodes making fun of self absorbed, hypocritical liberals.

Last year they made an episode where a character representing Trump non-sarcastically begged the viewing audience to vote For Her. :M

Reinhardt

Arcane
I guess Matt and Trey knew that video game journalism was full of this kind of garbage so they threw them a bone just to fuck with them.
There is nothing about game in this "article". Yes. Typical game journo.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been playing the game while waiting for ELEX to download, never watched any South Park episode before but I acknowledge its infamous status. Thing is, to be honest even with all these offensive in your face crap like two kids giving lap dance or a gay dude with obvious gay aethestic in his house, I still find the humor to be quite tasteless, and nearly every element in the game gets repetitive real quick. Combat loop is quite boring with fixed structure and straightforward, looting is almost like Ubisoft is laughing at themselves with the amount of useless crafting materials that you hoard throughout the game, not a lot of engaging or interesting quests, QTE pooping is my least favorite "minigame", artifacts that boost your stats are kinda... important I guess? but the way the game constantly throw them at you makes progression quite monotonous.

I don't watch the show but I have a feeling that South Park's humor works better in short doses through its TV series format, you don't get overwhelmed with the amount of jokes and writers can come up with new jokes from anything trendy or political so the show can always feel fresh. The Fractured But Whole's humor is like it walked out from "How To Write Satire For Dummies" textbook and most of it is straight up outdated, forced and sometimes really cringey, like the pedophile Catholic church priests for example, jeez I'm not American but I already find the subject matter to be as outdated as queen Victoria's anus, but if this was a TV show then creators can put something related to Harvey Weinstein drama into it cuz it's trendy atm you know, but it's impossible for a video game that took 2+ years to develop.

I dunno, maybe there's some fucking deep message behind every fart joke that the game throws at me every 30 secs or some shit, otherwise I'm not really feeling it. Just reached the point where the kid got time rewind ability and the story seems like it's started kicking in, there are some moments that made me chuckle like the New Kid's ongoing backstory of dad fucked their mom but so far I find the game to be quite while underwhelming. Fans of the show might appreciate the game a bit more maybe?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Matt Stone and Trey Parker are unabashedly liberal

Not really. I mean, they don't adhere to the assigned slate of "conservative" positions so to people who walk around with a checklist of stuff you have to believe in order to not be "liberal", yeah they are liberal. But they've recently dedicated an entire season to making fun of SJWs and over the years there were many other episodes making fun of self absorbed, hypocritical liberals. They are middle of the road if not a little right leaning. But yeah they make fun of religion and people who reflexively pick on gays.

Watch their commentary..

Not a bad game considering it is made by a jew and a cuck who has a negro wife's son they are literal bugmen.

It isn't worth money though because of it being made by Ubisoft and they put in their uplay bullshit.

:edgy:

I dunno, maybe there's some fucking deep message behind every fart joke

Nope. Not really. It's just banal humor.

Hellion

Arcane
Having just finished the game in order to review it, I can't really say that Liberal agenda plays such a yuge role in it.

I mean, sure there's the option to select "the gender and sexuality you identify with" and stuff like that during the couse of the game, but even this is presented humorously to the point that I wouldn't put it past them to have implemented it sarcastically in order to ridicule it, and it doesn't really affect the game at all except for a few instances where your selection is referenced before a few fights (and the same fights still occur no matter what you choose, for example I selected "Cis Straight Male" or something like that and a band of Rednecks still attacked me claiming "We don't take kindly to you cisgendered people around here").

Stuff like that has been blown out of proportion IMO, the game is still an awesome interactive South Park episode in its core.

orcinator

Liturgist
Watched a steam for 30 minutes, thought the intro was good so I pirated it. Now I actually played it for 30 minutes past the part I watched and I want to just watch the rest instead of dealing with the boring gameplay.

Aaaaand here's a game breaking bug. Guess the game decided for me.

Phisto

Literate
Skipping the cutscene allows you to progress but I wouldn't recommend you bother anyway.

Sacibengala

Prophet
(Wtf is doctor in this context?)
doctor? doctor who?

Thats actually what came to my mind first too :D

Maybe a Frankenstein reference to how people call the monster Frankenstein when it's in fact the doctor's name.

Would be a really poor comparison though if that's what she has in mind. Not least because the monster isn't the villain and the doctor created the monster not vice versa. Probably going for the easy joke (monster of patriarchy created Weinstein) but it's clunky and misses the mark completely

Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde actually. I think she means that the doctor is the tip of the iceberg, the appearence of what it actually is, a monster that runs inside him. I'm thinking now about what the potion would be? Maybe the swj? the feminism? whatever force that exposed the monster? If so, the doctor, AKA the men, created the potion AKA SWJ, to expose the monster AKA Patriarch? The plot thickens.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Looking at steamspy,it seems that the game is not selling well. Around 150.000 copies sold,if you put the uplay maybe 200,000. Who knows,maybe it will pick up after a few weeks,but i doubt it. Another flop!

Dakka

Savant
Looking at steamspy,it seems that the game is not selling well. Around 150.000 copies sold,if you put the uplay maybe 200,000. Who knows,maybe it will pick up after a few weeks,but i doubt it. Another flop!
I bet Ubisoft will truly have a Fractured But Whole after this!

imweasel

Who are the writers for this game? Black Lives Matter? Or are Matt and Trey now going full retard with virtue signalling? I enjoy a good joke about police brutality, but they went completely overboard with their victimizing of blacks by "privileged and evil whitey".

Anyway, the Stick of Truth was leaps and bounds better than this shit.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Who are the writers for this game? Black Lives Matter? Or are Matt and Trey now going full retard with virtue signalling? I enjoy a good joke about police brutality, but they went completely overboard with their victimizing of blacks by "privileged and evil whitey".

Anyway, the Stick of Truth was leaps and bounds better than this shit.

Scroll up and http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...fractured-but-whole.99934/page-8#post-5290476

There's been hardly any discussion of this here, and the Steam sales and user score are terrible (in and of themselves but especially compared to The Stick of Truth). I wonder how much of this is UPlay, how much of it is the lack of Obsidian not being involved, how much of it is Ubisoft San Francisco.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And how much of it is Sequel Fatigue Syndrome (one counter-example - D:OS 2 - doesn't mean it's not a thing)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Maybe it's because South Park stopped being funny about 15+ years ago?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Maybe it's because South Park stopped being funny about 15+ years ago?
Don't know and don't care mate,i am not american and never watched that shit.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Not a bad game considering it is made by a jew and a cuck who has a negro wife's son they are literal bugmen.

It isn't worth money though because of it being made by Ubisoft and they put in their uplay bullshit.
Hah, I forgot his wife has a half black son. And she's given him no sons of his own. He's a walking stereotype at this point.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
They shouldn't have released it at the same time as ELEX.

Last edited:

Dakka

Savant
To be honest, I didn't find the original all that interesting either. The gameplay was passable at best, and the jokes were juvenile nonsense.

Sratopotator

Savant
Screw you guys, stick of truth is cool.
It successfully pushed some boundaries of both comedy and games, even if just by a little bit.
There is a lot of background humour, with small details all over the place. A lot of jokes are translated directly into gameplay, and that is a fucking rare thing in 'comedic' games - I'm talking more about the fixed scenes (like the abortion scene, parents having sex, aliens) or character building jokes, and less about the main whack'n'loot snorefest with Farts.
I suppose being a south park fan helps getting through the boring shit without losing too much of your sanity. The game was a lot better than the previous several seasons of the show combined (its probably not saying much to the SouthPark haters out there, screw you guyz)

On the other hand, there is this fucking game.
Only thing creative or fresh in Fractured But Whole is the title, and that's only because I've never heard this pun before.
It's just barren. I had 'fun' once - in the scene with fatso prostitute in the night club. Maybe some more moderate fun for an hour after that.

Funny how every ubisoft game is exactly the same for me, in that regard. I kinda enjoy it up to the point of seeing everything the game has to offer (meaning first few 'tutorial' hours), and then I either roll a 10-20 on a *will save* and uninstall, or the *roll fails* and I play further - hating the game more with each passing minute, hating myself for playing it, and hating modern games industry for making this shit a standard procedure. Heartless bastards.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom