Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

South Park: The Fractured But Whole - South Park RPG sequel from Ubisoft

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/115708-south-park-the-fractured-but-whole-announced.html

UBISOFT® AND SOUTH PARK DIGITAL STUDIOS ANNOUNCE SOUTH PARK™: THE FRACTURED BUT WHOLE™

Follow-Up to Critically Acclaimed South Park™: The Stick of Truth™ Confirmed

LOS ANGELES — June 15, 2015 — Today, at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), Ubisoft® and South Park Digital Studios announced that South Park™: The Fractured but Whole™, a sequel to 2014’s award-winning South Park™: The Stick of Truth™, is currently in development. Players will once again assume the role of The New Kid and join South Park favorites Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman in a new hilarious and outrageous adventure.

Developed by Ubisoft San Francisco, South Park: The Fractured but Whole will enable players to delve into the crime-ridden underbelly of South Park with Coon and Friends. This dedicated group of crime fighters was formed by Eric Cartman, whose superhero alter ego, The Coon, is half man, half raccoon. As The New Kid, players will join Mysterion, Toolshed, Human Kite, Mosquito, Mint Berry Crunch and a host of others to battle the forces of evil while Coon strives to make his team the most beloved superheroes in history.

Ensuring another truly authentic South Park experience, creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker are involved in every step of the development of the game.

“The success of South Park: The Stick of Truth proves our fans crave a deeper interactive experience with South Park,” said Dan Yang, EVP and GM, Consumer Products, Viacom Music & Entertainment Group. “Working with Ubisoft to extend the South Park gaming franchise will no doubt galvanize the audience’s interest across all platforms.”

“By successfully mixing outstanding comedy with excellent gameplay, South Park: The Stick of Truth created a game genre: the Comedy Role-Playing Game,” said Laurent Detoc, president at Ubisoft. “Our teams worked hard, laughed hard, and players loved it so we’re back to collaborate on the fantastic world created by Matt, Trey and the talented group at South Park Digital Studios with South Park: The Fractured but Whole.”

South Park: The Fractured but Whole will be available for Xbox One, PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system and Windows PC.

Zeronet

Learned
Ubisoft really are in many ways, on totally different level to EA when it becomes to being scummy.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I thought it was just in typical development hell due to Obsidian's incompetence, not Trey Parker and Matt Stone playing quality control. But then I haven't really followed its development because what the fuck do I care.
I'd pin the delays more on Matt and Trey's constant rewrites. Old Obsidian didn't make South Park.

Atchodas

Augur
More South Park is always good , ubisoft making rpg is kinda bad but nobody can ruin SP even ubishit , nice to see some muricans being butthurt about SP in general just proofs that it is undying classic that mocks your filthy lifes :D

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
More South Park is always good , ubisoft making rpg is kinda bad but nobody can ruin SP even ubishit , nice to see some muricans being butthurt about SP in general just proofs that it is undying classic that mocks your filthy lifes :D

Eh, South Park is in same boat with The Simpsons. Was funny years ago, not really anymore.

ksaun

Arcane
Developer
Here's a question no one is asking:

How do we know Obsidian wasn't offered the game, and that they turned it down?

Because Obsidian doesn't turn down anything (hence tanks and Russian MMO).

I don't have any inside information about the new South Park game. But I can say that absolutely Obsidian has turned down opportunities in the past that were deemed unsuitable/unfavorable (for various reasons). So it's not inconceivable that they were offered the South Park sequel and decided against it.

(I also wasn't at Obsidian when they decided on Armored Warfare or the "Russian MMO.". But Feargus is very astute and I don't doubt those were sound business decisions (though it may not seem like it from the outside).)

Lucky

Arcane
“By successfully mixing outstanding comedy with excellent gameplay, South Park: The Stick of Truth created a game genre: the Comedy Role-Playing Game,” said Laurent Detoc, president at Ubisoft. “Our teams worked hard, laughed hard, and players loved it so we’re back to collaborate on the fantastic world created by Matt, Trey and the talented group at South Park Digital Studios with South Park: The Fractured but Whole.”

'Our' teams? I thought Ubisoft purchased the rights after THQ went under and only did the publishing?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can't believe there isn't a big thread about this on the Obsidian forums. Time to address that: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/80297-non-obsidian-south-park-rpg-sequel-announced/

You sneaky little troll.. Just fanning those flames :lol:

It's not really my intention to troll - my highest priority is gaining information, and if the only place where people are talking about this is on the Codex, then that's easy to ignore. But if there's talk on Obsidian's own doorstep, MAYBE somebody there will say something.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They're super excited.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ited-about-new-south-park-game-it-isnt-making

Obsidian "super excited" about new South Park game it isn't making
Has close to 200 people working on games.

Obsidian Entertainment is "super excited" about a new South Park role-playing game The Fractured But Whole despite not being involved.

"We are super excited to see another South Park game getting made and can't wait to play it ourselves," CEO Feargus Urquhart told me in an email.

It was Obsidian that made South Park: The Stick of Truth, a game we Recommended. What's more, it was Obsidian that South Park originally sought out and pitched the idea to - a story Urquhart regaled me with a while ago. Sounded like a bond formed between Obsidian and South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone along the way.

But the project would never have aired had Ubisoft not bought the rights from a sunken THQ, and then delayed the game allowing crucial extra development time.

Ubisoft has put Rocksmith 2014 developer Ubisoft San Francisco in charge of South Park: The Fractured but Whole. Trey Parker and Matt Stone announced the game on Ubisoft's E3 2015 stage, suggesting they're somewhat involved. They had a big hand in making the first game so memorable - the gags were stronger than the gameplay. So perhaps it won't matter that Obsidian isn't on board. After all, the template for a game is already there.

But where does that leave Obsidian - an independent studio lest you forget?

"As you probably know," Urquhart told me, "we are working on a bunch of stuff right now and, internally, are coming close to 200 people working on games.

"Armored Warfare [tank MMO] is looking great, hitting more than 15K simultaneous people playing it last week; [the Pillars of] Eternity [Expansion] has a ton of cool new things; and we'll have a couple of fun things to announce in the next few months."

The Pillars of Eternity expansion we expect to hear more about this week at E3 - today, we hope.

Armored Warfare is the bread winner at Obsidian as it stands - an unusual free-to-play machine-based MMO departure for the studio bankrolled by Russian company My.com.

Obsidian had been in dire straits before the Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter campaign launched, it transpired recently, but fortunes appeared to change thereafter.

Whether any of this has anything at all to do with studio co-founder and iconic game developer Chris Avellone leaving Obsidian recently is unclear - maybe even far fetched.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Maybe they have some super sekrit AAA+++ project going on...before it gets cancelled again.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Keep in mind that in manager-speak "close to 200" could be as low as 180

Kz3r0

Arcane
They had a big hand in making the first game so memorable - the gags were stronger than the gameplay. So perhaps it won't matter that Obsidian isn't on board. After all, the template for a game is already there.
:avatard:

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Weasel
"We are super excited to see another South Park game getting made and can't wait to play it ourselves," CEO Feargus Urquhart told me in an email.

8U9AUEv.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom