Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Soviet Fallout homage ATOM RPG now on Kickstarter

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyway, I don't agree, but I am sure there's bad games with crafting I didn't play. I doubt that the crafting was the main issue though. POE for example, I think it just sounds like a shit game, crafting or no crafting.
Haha, right, the "crafting" in PoE :lol:
In most games that have it, you can thankfully ignore crafting. So it doesn't break a game, usually.

However, wouldn't you rather have a feature that is not an afterthought that can be completely ignored and instead more of what makes a game actually good?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
That's all cool and dandy but there is one problem - players and their dumb habits like hoarding or completionism and other activity that break any form of balance and no game designer can win with it.

Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt
Games with a detailed rule system make the best game. Systems made up overnight to appeal to casuals are crap, film at 11.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
no game designer can win with it.

Well, I know of at least one game designer who can win with it...

a3fb6b3c7edd3235502e330f784cbd78aaec9b12.jpg

In this case "winning" means completely throwing game balance out the window and going full retard to appeal to 12-year old Minecraft casuals. It will mean a terrible RPG, but if you want to be a millionaire and win achievement awards, it just works.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Hey guys! Just spent an hour in my other post, so a quick MASS REPLY on the crafting system before I go get those sweet 5 hours of sleep!
This one raised a lot of discussions in the team, and finally became a stretch-goal with one important rule we all agreed upon:
It's going to be there only for those, who like crafting in RPGs. If we make it and later find out it's invading all possible play styles or breaking the game - we're gonna re-make it again so it won't be intrusive. Ideally - the system will be prominent, useful, and rich with all sorts of features for those who chose to use it, and completely invisible for those, who think stuff like that belongs in Roblox. Both opinions are completely valid, IMO.
Personally, I'm both a lover and a hater of the thing. Hated it in PoE. Liked it in JA. Loved it in Arcanum. Ours is going to be a bit different, but comparable to the last two. But with crafting crit failures. Like - you glue a grenade onto a pig to make some sort of a pork bomb, but fail as the animal mauls you! Hopefully it'll make crafting a bit more lively for those who chose to use it at all.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
pledged of $15,000 goal
:hmmm:

Remember, we spent two years working on the core game for free :) The Kickstarter isn't there to cover the costs. I doubt these 15.000 + all the shekels we'll ever get on Steam and hopefully GOG will ever cover that. This money is going to be used to popularize the game somewhat and pay the most important people on our team to ignore their day jobs for a few months. Considering such goals, it's more than enough! It's not like we're one of them guys who need their whole budget kickstarted before they move a finger.... Not looking at anyone in particular here... Cough... Cough... Wink... Cough...
It's not a marketing gimmick when I say we just want the game finished! We'll think about riches and fair salary after we delivered.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
ALSO.

WE HAVE AN UPDATE, GUYS!!

POSTING AS IS
464a27f11150e8282314ee6a81b83b78_original.png

Hey guys!
It's time for another update, and we'd just like to start off with how grateful we are for all the amazing support you have given to our project. Youtubers making first look videos, backers and fans helping us out on forums and social networks. We have strong belief that we will get what we need to finish the game quickly and without any setbacks.

Thank you for caring about our game, and spreading the word!

The last update was about our strech goals, but what about something that 100% will be in the final game? Well, the update we're going to share with you this week concerns the Battle System.

Here it goes!

COVER SYSTEM
Duck and cover! A shoot-out in the Wasteland is no fun, unless you can hide behind a derelict wall, or some general rubble. There will be two main types of cover (those you crouch behind, and full body coverage, like the aforementioned wall) each one with a special set of animations.

*Cover animation. Work in progress!

INJURY SYSTEM

Now critical hits are sure to sting for a long time... Both NPC and Player alike will now sustain long-term injuries under various conditions. Unhealed injuries will hinder your abilities according to their type. But isn't that a fair price to pay for maiming your enemies in all the creative ways you can possibly imagine?!

*Headshot! Work in progress!

MORE ANIMATIONS

We are finally working on various animations we planned from the start. More realistic attacks, no more holding guns wrong, cover animations, general body language improvements and many more.

...And yes, for all you gore-hounds out there. ATOM will finally feature maiming. In the most explosive ways possible...

These three improvements to the game are our main concern for the following weeks.

*Cover animation. Work in progress!

Follow us in our accounts on social media, to watch these long awaited improvements come to life before your very eyes!

Thank you again for the support. Yours, ATOM TEAM!

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Your enthusiasm sounds already much abated compared to last months.
Might have a lot to do with overall sleeplessness we currently all suffer from! But dude, we're not just psyched, we're ELATED! We actually made more progress since the Kickstarted started than we did ever before. There's the updated battle system, the stuff we're gonna post in tomorrow's update, the animations, the Linguist we got for the English version, the PR work we mostly do during coffee breaks, etc. The game as it is now is two times the game it was back when I was selling it to you two months ago :D Currently, it's non-stop until we make our baby fly. Its going to be beautiful :)

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Asked for an update to your favorite post-apocalyptic game mentioned by BRIAN FARGO ON TWITTER A WEEK AGO?!
No?!

Well here it is anyway!

New look for the NPCs

f6eeedc161ed8380e5ce573a655cf06b_original.png

Hey guys!
Another cosmetic update for you this week! Tired of everyone having the same hairstyle?

ea9f99c0d952c288cc2c70efd048abb7_original.png

Well, soon you won't have to think about it anymore! With things as they are, we can finally allow ourselves to spare some time on important details like beards, mustaches and buzz-cuts for the tough soviet working class men, and the most exquisite post-apocalyptic hairstyle fashions for the lovely ladies!

affa31d856e5f3903358b08f63b929c1_original.png

Every NPC gets a free make-over once this update hits! Even the random encounter people like raiders and bandits won't be forgotten - as they will now get random features! ATOM RPG: Flowing free like the facial hair of a road side vagabond!

422823011111d639bc79d1ef6c4cf937_original.png

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Sooo I came here to post this bonus stretch goal for 20.000:

Hey there guys!
First of all, thank you again, guys! The last couple of days were wild and beautiful! Thanks to you we reached our funding goal and now we have a chance to reach for the stretch goals!

Also, we want to sincerely thank Many A True Nerd whose first look video really put us in a spotlight!

Now, we decided to make an intermediate stretch goal for 20,000. A lot of people were asking for it and after a brainstorm and a couple of sketches I think that we have a pretty good picture of how we are going to make it!

We're talking, of course, about your own custom, private piece of the Soviet Wasteland. A property, a base of operations, your own shed in a small village of survivors you may choose to gain by completing a certain extra questline that we will add into the release version!

This small piece of ironically private property on communist soil will become a place to hang your hat, cook some food and rest your bones, after a rough day among the Wastes... and it doesn't end there!

However, since getting this cozy home and it's extra features directly depends on completing certain quests, we won't spoil anything else right away :)

We'll just let you discover it all for yourselves...

Project ATOM - as homely as a radiation-ridden shed in a savage steppe can be!

-----------------------

But then I refreshed the page and it was already funded.
So for all of you amazing backer people out there in the thread - you're getting a SHED now!
Well, if you would like to. It won't be phallocentric like that haunted mansion they had in PoE for example. More like a randomly generated cave in Minecraft. It's there, it can become a home for you and your buddies, but it can also be ignored completely!
Thanks for your support guys! We hoped this would happen!

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
kinda dismissed the game and the whole project before, but reading the replies by Atomboy i am getting convinced. i can surely afford $15 and why not?

fuck, you got my money. pledged.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
You need to change the square tiles into hexes. Fallout and Fallout 2 had hexes, so if you want your game to be on par with those classics you absolutely must do this. Square tiles are inferior and casual.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom