Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Hulk: Deathwing - may the Emperor's legs be OK

I installed this today and holy shit, I hadn't seen a game this badly optimized in a very long time. I have a 1070 and I get fps in the low 20s in fights.

The interface is also hilarious, I like to play with inverted mouse but then it also inverts the onscreen cursor for giving out commands to squadmates :prosper:

A pity too, because I quite like the way the game looks and feels when it's not running like shit. Maybe once it's patched to playable status I'll finish it.

Alright, so I made it to the fourth mission in singleplayer on second hardest difficulty.

Second mission took me three tries. You cannot just set your bros to follow and run through the map on higher difficulties. Basic tactics are needed: stay behind Barachiel, pull back into a hallway if jumped in an open area, cover your apothecary and space yourself and your squad so that no one blocks each other's line of fire. Again, this is more than I expected. Good shit.

Mission two was great. The nests raped me mercilessly until I:
figured out to put my bros in the hallway outside the nest room, clear out the first wave, then rush in as the flow of jeanstealers dies down, destroy the nests, and gun for the opposite exit out of the nest chamber, ordering one of the bros to lock the door behind the squad.

Mission three was easier but was more fun to explore - the whole place felt huge.

Mission 3 really nails the space hulk feel, IMO. The fact that the map covers parts of three different ships squished together alone puts it in a league above the first two maps. The environmental sounds of the ship creaking and groaning are great now that lictors are a threat, too. And that fucking psyker tower!

I finally noticed some of that swarm AI the developers were promising. Often, genestealers will stick to corners of the room and try to flank you instead of taking the most direct path to the squad. Still not sure how much of the enemies are statically spawned and how much, if any, are randomly spawned in.

Looks like you can get 1-5 fervor (skill points) a level depending on how well you do on a range of factors, not just relics. And psygates are gained when your willpower gauge fills (which is done through relics, possibly through completing mission objectives two.) The latter make sense, as hunting for relics more often than not eats into your medicine supply, though I have never been able to gain more than one extra psygate per level.

I'd say the singleplayer is p. good if you were looking for a more focused, tactical EYE (if your computer can even run it despite all the technical issues). I understand why the people looking for a first-person Space Marine or Vermintide in space came away disappointed, though.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I like to play with inverted mouse but then it also inverts the onscreen cursor for giving out commands to squadmates :prosper:

yeah, it makes giving out panic heal commands in the middle of combat (BECAUSE THE HOTKEYS REFUSE TO REGISTER) all the more hilarious
borealesad.jpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Psyker being limited to default Storm Bolter is pretty annoying.
But I can understand why since the spells are not underwhelming at all and wielding the Power Ax with its 66% cooldown reduction is just a huge advantage. Lightning snipe all those rockets launchers all day long.
Perhaps the graphical representation of Psyker powers is quite lackluster, but the impact on the battlefield is huge.

Inferno clears corridors in seconds. And it literally moves around the level seeking more enemies to instant-crisp. Sometimes when I feel Stalkers are behind my squad, I just let it off and watch 4-5 xenos silently turn into McCrispy. I just wish they'd scream in agony instead of just ragdolling in flames.
Instant exploding enemy at range as long they're not one of those big-ass type. You can either use that, or Lion's Shadow, a version that telefrags an enemy, allowing you to close quickly and bash with Claw/Hammer/Mace.
Late game Warp creates a death vortex that turns everything nearby into a tornado of meat chunks.
Those powers have longer cooldowns and can be very hard to use without the 66% cooldown reduction.
This is not to say that the weapons are under-powered, Plasma Guns are really good with its AoE impact if you got the handling down.
The pistol is fast, quick-loading and rips through light armored xenos like butter.
The Mace insta-gibs almost anything.
But they lack the high-impact and high-reliability of psyker abilities, but maybe it's just down to individual playstyles.

Overall I give the game a hard earned 7/10 if rated solely on the state of single player experience.
It's a treat for W40K fans with its marvelous attention to architecture - I mean, wow, a space ship featuring statues, temples and stained glass? That's fucking W40K right there.
It stutters like crazy at certain points and performance is always below satisfaction - but I haven't experienced a single crash yet in my game.
Gameplay wise its progression system is poor. I never understood why they can't just let us buy upgrades with kill-points instead of those 'progression pips' that doesn't do anything until you hit a threshold.
It has jankiness in its UI much like EYE Divine Cybermancy did. But the biggest selling point is that this is the best W40K atmosphere in video games, ever.
Now please fucking take us out of Space Hulk and let us kill something else in W40K universe.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I appreciate my fellow Codexers spending their hard-earned currency on this so I don't have to.

Sounds like it will be worth playing once/if they patch some of the performance issues.

Beowulf

Arcane
I don't know if it was Games Workshop who pushed it for the release, but the game needed more time.

It's not only the bugs, that drag it down, but the overall lack of polish, quality of life features, and thorough testing.
For example your teammates should have more voiceover for orders confirmation, they are mostly silent, sadly, and with orders hotkeys bugging out you cannot be sure if they acknowledged the order, or not . Some menus cannot be exited by pressing Esc, while others can. The fact that you are on a timed objective is indicated only by the on-screen text "Calculation running", which is mostly used during defend objectives, when you have to survive hordes of thieves coming for your jeans. The abilities have a tool-tip description, but no name etc...
Your squad-mates AI is surprisingly not cringe worthy, they can hold their own, with only occasional feats of remarkable stupidity.
During my 6 hours with the game I saw them stuck on scenery only 3 times.

Also, while it's visually impressive and shows great attention to detail, the actual gameplay diverges from the lore, sometimes heavily.
Enemies are too bullet spongy, particularly the Hybrids, who can be also your most deadly enemies when en masse. The melee is a joke.
I should be completely opposite - the Terminators should be able to evaporate the hybrids with single bolter round and kill jeanstealers in 2-3, but melee should be deadly for them. Vengeance of the Blood Angels captured that aspect far better.

Most of the reviewers actually got it right - there is a god foundation, just wait 6 months, or however long it'll take them to patch it, and buy on a discount.

RK47

Patron
At this point, I don't think they got enough money for a patch.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-12-19-space-hulk-deathwing-review

Space Hulk: Deathwing review
Fly, you fools! It's another bug hunt.

jpg

An impressive handling of the Warhammer licence, Deathwing is sadly a less than impressive tactical shooter.

I can't see it much myself, but Deathwing is supposed to be Warhammer 40k's take on Left 4 Dead. Sure its multiplayer game is co-op only (and its campaign fed by AI bots), with you and up to three others up against relentless hordes of skittering horrors, but Left 4 Dead's clever narrative framework, its dynamic stage direction and cast of sarcastic characters are hard to make out in Deathwing's grim darkness of the far future. What you get is more of a glorified survival mode stretched thin over nine large levels, with you and your Terminator Space Marine buddies under regular assault by waves of Alien-inspired creatures as you stomp a steady path from one distant objective to the next.

If that all sounds underwhelming and rather tedious, don't be put off just yet. There are plenty of reasons to be cagey over the current state of Deathwing, but the game's lack of Left 4 Dead DNA isn't one of them. In actual fact Deathwing's flimsy structure and plasterboard systems can, to a degree, be seen as a virtue; you can almost see the influence of the original board game underneath the first-person shooter design. Not enough to have compromised the action too much, but just hints here and there (to reassure the faithful) that developer Streum On Studio hold the source material in suitably high regard. As in, they properly get that 40k is more than just Lord of the Rings in space, or, in the case of Space Hulk, James Cameron's Aliens rampaging through the Mines of Moria.

jpg

Beaming Nigel Farage becomes first British politician to meet Donald Trump since election.

An example are the spawn points and "blips" that are highlighted on the in-game map, from which the Genestealer hordes commence their attacks. Conventional design wisdom might suggest not revealing such things to the player, especially when doing so highlights the fact that they can't be taken out. But then a knowledge of where the enemy might spring from, and that it will never stop coming for you was always integral to the original game. In Deathwing, as implicit in the ancient text of the first edition Space Hulk rulebook, you have to keep moving forward lest your incomparable space knights become overwhelmed by the demon swarm.

Deathwing draws inspiration from deeper sources than dioramas of carefully assembled flock and figurines, from the Black Library for its fiction to decades of 40k-themed gothic architecture glimpsed from box art, dust jackets, flourishes in rulebooks and the pages of White Dwarf. There are other aspects of the game worth shouting about too - which I'll get to in a moment - but they all boil down to one thing: authenticity. From the gruff mission preamble to the iconic weapons and through every groaning bulkhead of the space hulk itself, Deathwing is dripping with 40k credibility. It's literally coming out of the goddamn walls.

jpg

Deathwing's space hulk sits alongside Vermintide's Ubersreik as one of the better realisations of a Warhammer setting that does justice to the established lore.

The infested hulk to which your squad is sent to investigate and purge is the ultimate source of Deathwing's appeal - so much so that I can't recall a more faithful environment for any Games Workshop-endorsed title in all my years of playing them (and I remember Tower of Despair, so I've played a few). Essentially a tangle of dead ships fused together in the timeless malignancy of the Immaterium, space hulks are malevolent contortions of metal and stone; reminiscent in parts of the claustrophobic corridors of sunken U-boats, in others as vast dilapidated cathedrals, but at all times uniformly oppressive with failing lights, groaning metal and the constant threat of ambush from any and all directions.

I'm not going to claim Deathwing is the best 40k game of all time, because the best should appeal to more than just those that get what space Warhammer is all about. It is the one with the most rigorous backdrop, though. A shame, then, that as a tactical shooter Deathwing is far less impressive. Superficially, everything is present and correct, from the lurching mech-like movement of the Terminator-suited Marines to the heft of their venerated weapons, but the extent of the gameplay is undeniably limited, with you leading your troops from point A to point B, with one eye looking out for red wedges on the minimap and one ear listening out for the telltale hiss of incoming attack.

When an attack comes, it's very often glorious: weapons burn hot, the corridor erupts and the body parts - torsos, claws, heads - pile up as each whole falls under a hail of lead and plasma. The problem with each attack is that there's only one way to really deal with them; fire everything you've got, reload and fire again until the deck is awash with deboned Xenos cadavers. You can switch loadouts up to three or four times per level, but can only effectively carry one weapon, often with a power weapon for close encounters. That's how Terminators conduct their business of course - no flimsy sidearms for them - but aside from knowing when best to order your Apothecary to administer a health boost to avoid an unpleasant restart, there really isn't much else to master. I mean, there are Psyker abilities to unlock and you can order your AI wingmen to take up defensive positions, but there's little point in bothering: the tactical interface is a faff and using it doesn't provide any noticeable advantage anyway, so why bother.

jpg

There's no friendly fire to worry about (not by default), ammunition is unlimited and while the game enforces a checkpoint save system, it's quite a generous one that is augmented by automatic saves whenever you use the Psygate (teleporter) to refit and rearm.

Deathwing isn't an easy game, certainly not at the outset when the Genestealer horde is relentless and your standard Storm Bolter less than effective at keeping it at bay, but as new weapons become unlocked and the game's workings reveal themselves through repetition, even when a new variety of 'Stealer takes to the field the balance has already shifted in favour of the player, undermining the initial challenge and bringing on a sense that you're doing the same thing over and over. Time your heals correctly and acquire the right mix of weapons (I can wholeheartedly recommend Lightning Claws for Brother Barachiel, the Storm Bolter / Narthecium combo for Brother Nahum and a Flamer for yourself) and you can tank an entire map quite easily.

It doesn't help in holding firm the game's early tension that mission objectives often seem to have been arbitrarily placed at the extremities of the map to drag the game out and inflict the maximum amount of ambushes on the player as possible, perhaps because that's the only trick the game has up its sleeve.

It's a fine trick though and is what Space Hulk is all about, after all - a looped homage of all Aliens' combat scenes, played again and again. Framing the action are typically sententious monologues, while the carnage during each encounter is brutal and relentless, and which is only amplified by the backdrops. But when it becomes second nature to know how the game ticks, the challenge becomes less about desperate survival and more wondering instead what new toy or ability will be unlocked next. At the very least a little weapon rebalancing would seem to be in order.

jpg

Although they tend to make a beeline for your squad Genestealers will often try to flank you. They can also run up and down ladders, which is something beyond the capability of a Terminator, which rather goes against the rules of the board game as well as good sense.

More of an immediate concern than the transparent gameplay are some widely-reported performance issues. For some reason I've not been plagued by too many problems, but then I'm a forgiving sort anyway (as those of us that used to load games from tape often are) - but I've experienced more than a few crashes to desktop when trying to join a multiplayer match and been inconvenienced in others when players have failed to materialise beside me. There are also considerable optimisation issues in both single and co-op games, with frame rates taking a tumble even during quiet moments between the action, suggestive that there are some memory holes that need plugging. There are less critical issues too, mission objectives failing to update, for example, plus a few annoyances such as turret hacking being a chore rather than an option, and switching out from the in-game map irritating when it should be a breeze. In other words there are too many technical issues exacerbated by minor niggles that combine to suggest, that for most people, holding fire on a purchase is probably for the best.

Clearly not a wholehearted recommendation for shooter aficionados then, but as a lifelong fan of Space Hulk who's been eagerly awaiting a 40k shooter that plays to the strengths of the lore rather than tries to fit the lore into the standard shooter template, I'd probably ignore my own advice and buy the game anyway. At the very least Deathwing deserves to go on your wishlist and an occasional eye kept on developments to see where Streum On takes its efforts over the coming few weeks. If performance can't be stabilised and gameplay rebalanced reasonably quickly, Deathwing is in considerable danger of being deserted.

Then it really will be left for dead.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Beaming Nigel Farage becomes first British politician to meet Donald Trump since election.

:prosper:

Also, each time I see those "it's supposed to be like left 4 dead!" comparisons I want to strangle someone.

And to add something on point to thrad, after 4 mishuns I'm starting to get very annoyed with bruva apothecary's weapon loadout. So far, each waffe I tried out for the libby was gud and working, Barachiel can also switch between a bunch of guns to remain useful and flexible between missions in case you get bored of his set-up, but ffs, why doesn't bruva apothecary at least get access to some different bolters. He's basically stuck with regular storm bolter/narthecium, because you'd have to be an idiot to switch to something else and skip the heals, and even so, the only alternative for him are lightning claws :////

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
IMO:

Weapons:
-Assault Cannon has to spool up before firing, which is bullshit both from a realism (ha) and gameplay perspective. It's basically an all around worse heavy flamer.
Critters are often upon you before the assault cannon fires. But while spooling up you can't melee attack, unless you let go of the fire button. If you see 5 'nids, nail 'em and stop firing, you pretty much have to do the whole spool-up thing again if another one pops up right after. Annoying as hell.
If you let go of the fire button the spool-up sequence is reset... That's probably why Barachiel "reacts" so slowly. He tries to fire but the gun obeys typical "computer game rotary cannon" rules.

It's shame because it would otherwise be a really nice alternative to the heavy flamer. Firing sound is ok, not really right but better than the usual slow mg sound found in other games.
Oh, and it malfunctions more often than the heavy flamer too...

-Plasma cannon sound is garbage, and it doesn't have any cool animations or anything, just weirdly unimpressive. Also all-around inferior to heavy flamer. Could be so much fun. Garbage on Barachiel for some reason.

Why no melters? Space Marine had an interesting take on those iirc.

-Everything else: Who cares... Hammer and shield work ok for AI though.
Like Roxor above said, apothecary customization is garbage. Customization in general feels boring. No better suits to find etc. No ammunition types, even though anti-tyranid ones exist in the "lore".
Infinite Ammo means no real reason for melee, and melee feels almost tacked-on.

Graphics: Kind of hard to look at for extended periods of time due to all the flashing if you're using the assault cannon. Some cool architecture that unfortunatly doesn't really matter as anything more than a backdrop.
Otherwise ok, nothing speciel but nice-ish for what it is. Overall looks console-y.

Sound: Mixed bag. Could have used the Chaos Gate menu music at least... You don't need to hear the jeanstealers skittering etc, a cool ost would have improved the game much more than it's laughable horror elements.
Why no "Ezeekiel, do everything"? In fact, where am I in this game? What is this shit? Who likes the emo-brigade anyway!
Voice work is cringey and there's somehow also not enough of it. Better than during the Beta, though.

Gameplay: It's dragged down by the Space Hulk setting imo. Just too simplistic. Or maybe it's just Streum On's fault.
Superhumans with 2 hearts and powered armor with servos etcetc can't run up a full flight of stairs without getting winded. Less steroids next time you weirdos. Esp. bad considering how big some of the maps are.
Contrary to what the big reviewers say, you can just leasurely walk around the level... Most of the spawns are limited or eventually slow to a trickle every 30 seconds or so. Game is super easy once you figure out the basics of the a.i.
No real pressure on you once you understand it. Lots of trouble if you don't play it "right".
Big enemies are the only real danger, or walking into view of 2 turrets simultaneously without lightning-striking them first (why ever hack).
Overall no real variation, and no real hooks to keep you playing other than it being 40k-based.
Hilarious to see Gideon's fate at the beginning. More termies than your squad has yet get wiped out by basic jeanstealers 100m from the insertion point? What?
Overall could have taken a lot of pages out of Chaos Gate's book. In Fact, I wish it was "Rainbow Six: Chaos Gate Edition with loot and resource management".

The way you move around the place and can't move past completely laughable obstacles etc feels very console-y as well. No jumping or anything. Control wheel is horrible shit, use hotkeys as suggested in this thread elsewhere. Hotkeys bug out if you use control wheel. Have to use it again to re-enable them.

Optimization:
Got a core i-5 4460 which is approximately 3000 years old. 8 gigs of ram, gtx970, win 7 64 bit. No SSD. Newest NVIDIA drivers.
FPS on everything maxed (AA on 2x though and bloom off, vsync on) is maxed except it randomly goes down to 45 or so, then rarely down to mid 30's. Always fairly smooth except some rare,
weird instances of repeated stuttering if lots of enemies are spawned but can't get to you. I think a lot of the performance issues may be a.i. related... Pathfinding, checking for targets or something. Maybe physics sometimes too, the totally overdid it at times.
Barachiel will hit a corpse and propel it all the way across the universe with 2-3 rounds of his assault cannon.
Had zero crashes for some reason.
Loading times on first run were terrible, then on second run suddenly ok, not too long, maybe 20-30 sec tops. Got no SSD either.
Garbabe performance for how it looks, and especially compared to shooters of old... But basically almost ok by modern standards (declined standards) in single player.

Didn't bother with the multi player mode. It's already too easy.

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Oh yeah, with some weapons you won't be able to see shit once you fire (way too common in games today), esp. if the nids are right there in front of you. The blood spray looks like it's right out of 2001 or something and blocks your view. All the physics-enabled bodies also get really annoying at times and probably kill fps for some folks.

I agree that loadout choices in singleplayer are lackluster. Maybe Barachiel should have had access to devastator and assault weaponry, whereas Nahum to the tactical and apothecary equipment? So the latter should have had all the bolter variants, like hellfire, redemption, etc.

I don't know why you are not able to equip psy weapons with anything other the storm bolter. I mean hell, redemption is the same size as the storm bolter and you have to use the power fist with that, so it can't be size/space constraints.

Lore question: is it even possible for terminators to sprint and jump? The sprint "stamina" meter annoyed me as well, but that armour looked impossible to jump in.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
For bruva Barachiel I highly recommend lightning krawz. Raises his usefulness and survivability by like 5000%.

Also, while the bruvas' loadout options are kind of shit, I really dig the mix and match you can do with the libby. Just played through Caliban's Will with plasma cannon + lightning + spontaneous combustion + inferno. Hilarious combo. POP! Goes the xeno.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I agree that loadout choices in singleplayer are lackluster. Maybe Barachiel should have had access to devastator and assault weaponry, whereas Nahum to the tactical and apothecary equipment? So the latter should have had all the bolter variants, like hellfire, redemption, etc.

I don't know why you are not able to equip psy weapons with anything other the storm bolter. I mean hell, redemption is the same size as the storm bolter and you have to use the power fist with that, so it can't be size/space constraints.

Lore question: is it even possible for terminators to sprint and jump? The sprint "stamina" meter annoyed me as well, but that armour looked impossible to jump in.

Yeah, they can run. Don't remember if they can jump.
Wouldn't put too much stock in the lore in general though. It changes depending on who's currently writing it. And the people writing it don't believe in internal consistency or logic or anything.
Written by the warp, basically.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
For bruva Barachiel I highly recommend lightning krawz. Raises his usefulness and survivability by like 5000%.

Also, while the bruvas' loadout options are kind of shit, I really dig the mix and match you can do with the libby. Just played through Caliban's Will with plasma cannon + lightning + spontaneous combustion + inferno. Hilarious combo. POP! Goes the xeno.

I keep forgetting to use the abilities... That flame thing is so hilariously overpowered.
Haven't tried the lightning claws at all. Seemed like a bad idea with all the spitters (warrior strain?) and psy hybrids around. Do they provide any kind of protection from ranged attacks so that barachiel doesn't get massacred on higher difficulties?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Haven't tried the lightning claws at all. Seemed like a bad idea with all the spitters (warrior strain?) and psy hybrids around. Do they provide any kind of protection from ranged attacks so that barachiel doesn't get massacred on higher difficulties?

I'm playing on 2nd hardest, and ever since I gave Barachiel lightning claws, I don't think I've ever seen him die, although it's been just two missions so far (Sanctum Imperator and Caliban's Will). He has excellent parrying reflexes and shanks all the shit that gets close to him, even in cases of surprise buttseckz. Dunno if they provide ranged protection, probably not, but then it's your duty to kill the ranged dudes - and well, let's be honest, that's p much just panzerschrecks and heavy stubbers, and those go down with a single lightning zap.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

I'm playing on 2nd hardest, and ever since I gave Barachiel lightning claws, I don't think I've ever seen him die, although it's been just two missions so far (Sanctum Imperator and Caliban's Will). He has excellent parrying reflexes and shanks all the shit that gets close to him, even in cases of surprise buttseckz. Dunno if they provide ranged protection, probably not, but then it's your duty to kill the ranged dudes - and well, let's be honest, that's p much just panzerschrecks and heavy stubbers, and those go down with a single lightning zap.

I'll give 'em a try, then. The rocket guys and h. stubbers don't worry me either, it's the warrior 'nids spit and the psy dudes... You try hammer and shield yet?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Its 99% a balance question. The force axe has such a ridiculous psy power cooldown reduction, it'd arguably be the best weapon even if it didn't come with a storm bolter.

I'll give 'em a try, then. The rocket guys and h. stubbers don't worry me either, it's the warrior 'nids spit and the psy dudes... You try hammer and shield yet?
Hammer and shield is very strong, as long as you don't care too much about seeing what is going on.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Its 99% a balance question. The force axe has such a ridiculous psy power cooldown reduction, it'd arguably be the best weapon even if it didn't come with a storm bolter.
Balancing in general could have used some more attention, if only to make some weapons more viable/interesting.

Hammer and shield is very strong, as long as you don't care too much about seeing what is going on.[/QUOTE]
Seeing what is going on is more of a luxury once everyone goes cyclic after spotting one third of a tyranid claw anyway, so it's all good.

Beowulf

Arcane
While Chapter 5 was incline in terms of atmosphere, Chapter 6 was decline, and Chapter 7 brings back memories of the worst parts of Alien Isolation.
You have to run back and forth across the level to complete objectives. The charm is starting to wear off.

Freddie

Savant
Got my new graphics card, got Spacehulk: Deathwing too.

I just finished the first chapter. So far this has been okay, maybe even better.

Technicaly this isn't nearly as bad experience as I expected. Frame rate has irritating fluctuation, start up time is long, but single player campaign has been playable so far. Head bobling is bit much, but otherwise no big issues.

Multiplayer is entirely another story. Joining in game doesn't work at all most of the time and in those games I was get into, I wasn't able to finish single map. My computer didn't crashed or anything, but I suspect hosts did. What I had time to experience in MP, well, potential is there. Now devs just need to get it actually work.

I wonder if people saying that this is "fine" realize the concept of sub 30 fps gameplay being completely unacceptable for this kind of game.

RK47

Patron
I wonder if people saying that this is "fine" realize the concept of sub 30 fps gameplay being completely unacceptable for this kind of game.

It's a bitch. There's sudden jerks here and there, I could tolerate that in SP but there's never been a case of a level with ZERO hiccups in performance.
Which is why the polish is lacking, even though SP is their main focus.

The only thing polished is how good the architecture design of the map gets.
I kinda miss the game cause I wanna see more, but I definitely am not looking for more bland gameplay unless they do more tweaks and somehow rejuvenate the MP.

A) the game's story is written by Gav Thorpe
Welp, sounds like I'm not getting this game.

Dark Angel go to hulk.
Inside hulk got geneseed dating 10k years ago.
But also got genestealers.
Gotta retrieve and kill.
Once retrieve, blow up ship.
The end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom